mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Another one bites the dust (MKIII)

I'm devastated, landed one of my normal jumps on the way to work this morning and heard a pop, suddenly everything felt a bit loose.

It didn't take long to find this:

I really love the MKIII, but I think it's no longer keeping up with what I can do. The RWS through axle was brilliant for the rear triangle and I had no problems there, but I don't think there is any way to fix this problem.

The weld failed completely in one landing, and the seat tube is no longer attached to the BB casting.

Thanks folks, you've been grand. I hope you all have more luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another one bites the dust (MKIII)-imag0021.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That's exactly what happened to my '06 MkIII. See the thread Broken MkIII Front Triangle. Here's a photo from that initial post:

What year was your frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sorry folks, I should have added more detail. It's a 2007 with roughly 240 riding hours on it. Rear triangle was replaced around half way. I'm about 190 kitted and will have a crack at most stuff, but nothing too crazy.

I think my recent thirst for becoming airbourne probably didn't help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikodude
    I really love the MKIII, but I think it's no longer keeping up with what I can do. The RWS through axle was brilliant for the rear triangle and I had no problems there, but I don't think there is any way to fix this problem.
    I've been seeing some MkIII front triangles coming up for sale on ebay. It might make sense to pick one of them up if the size and price are right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's tempting, but given how sudden the failure was, I'm actually thinking the jumps etc. that I'm now hitting on a daily basis might just be too much to ask of the MKIII.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikodude
    It's tempting, but given how sudden the failure was, I'm actually thinking the jumps etc. that I'm now hitting on a daily basis might just be too much to ask of the MKIII.
    For what it's worth, the failure of my '06 frame was sudden too. My recollection is that I hit a smallish bump while riding up a hill. It wasn't a big hit at all. I didn't notice any cracks in that area ahead of time, but I wasn't looking for them there either...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'd be really disappointed if that were my circumstance! Looking at that area, I have to say it's pretty poorly constructed IMHO. A tube butt welded to the casting like that and then placed on an angle?? Terrible!

mtbr member
    Wow, that really sucks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The guy next door to me fixes road and racing motorbikes and frequently welds ally frames and wheels for re-use - I'm sure you could find someone with those skills near to you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    I've been seeing some MkIII front triangles coming up for sale on ebay. It might make sense to pick one of them up if the size and price are right.
    FWIW, see: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290438682312

The seller claims to have both 17" and 19" frames, front triangles only.

mtbr member
    Doh!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Kevin, I've actually bought one of those, I'm just trying to work out shipping with him as he only ships within the US, and that's not my circumstance.

Fingers crossed I can work it out!