mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Angled headset for Iron Horse MkIII, which one to get?

Hi!

Been thinking about getting an angled headset for my ´09 MkIII, but how do I know which one will fit? Where can I find the dimensions of the headtube?

Been looking at getting one from Works Components.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's a 44mm internal headset, and you can just use a tape measure to find your length. I would email them and ask them which one to get, just in case. I was thinking about getting the -1.5 Works Components headset for my MKIII, looks like it would be fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks, 44mm is what I suspected since the outer diameter is roughly 50mm. I measure the height to 125mm.

They offer a semi integrated 1.5 degree headset with internal bottom cup and external top, so it will build a bit higher than the stock headset, but right now there are a couple of shims there that I can remove, so it doesn't matter.

I think -1.5 degrees will put the geo spot on! I will be running a 150mm travel Marz 44 Micro Ti fork with approximately 14mm higher A-C than the stock 33 fork, that slackens out the HA by about 0.7 degrees already, so I guess I should end up around 67 degrees. The angled set will also lower my BB and steepen the seat angle slightly to compensate a little for the A-C rise.