mtbr member
    Jun 2010

7point5 rear shock spring weight

what spring weight are you guys running, i just built up my 7 point and have a marz roco coil, it came with a 500 lb spring, i weigh 165 lbs and am thinking about getting a 400 lb spring. any suggestions

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    300# to 350# range for you

I am around 200-205# with gear. I run a 350# (fox vanilla r) spring on one 7 point and a 400# spring (vivid 4.1) on the other 7 point. The 400# is on the firm side for me and the 350# spring feels just about right for "trail" riding.

There should be some spring calculators somewhere on this forum, search for it and you will find it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    k thanks a bunch, i ahve only been able to find a 400 pounder though thats the only problem haha

mtbr member
    400 works good for FR use - that's what I have on my 6 point (same rear end setup as 7 Point) and I weigh 170 lbs; not quite the sag I'd like but don't ever bottom harshly on big drops. I'll run a 350 if mainly AM/DH riding.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk3Rider
    I'm using their 400 lb version but have to say... zocchi springs have got to be the pig heaviest springs on the market - look at all those coils! Waiting for Jim to get me that 375 lb Obtanium spring!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm a tad heavier than you (170) and run a 350 spring on a vivid 5.1. It feels great for most things I do, but I think it might be a little soft when doing larger jumps and drops. I'm curious about about a 400.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk3Rider
    You can do a lot better than $50+ for a coil. Manitou coils are only $20 at bikewagon.com (hard to find things on that site, so may need to call).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ndwelle08
    what spring weight are you guys running, i just built up my 7 point and have a marz roco coil, it came with a 500 lb spring, i weigh 165 lbs and am thinking about getting a 400 lb spring. any suggestions
    You should definitely run a 300 lb spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dufferin
    You should definitely run a 300 lb spring.
    Not a chance. What I see is a lot of aftermarket shocks just slapped on the 7 Point with no regard to compression curves. The DW link takes an "A" Tune which has about 30% lower compression than standard shocks. So... what guys end up doing is using weak sauce springs to try to make up for their overly damped shocks! Get a proper tune and go with a 400 lb spring and you'd be amazed at how much better your bike works!

Have FUN!

G MAN