mtbr member
    Dec 2008

7Point framesets... Whats the difference?

Really struggling with this one but could do with some clarification from someone in the know...

I have a 7Point7 frameset, i'm looking to replace it as it's old and some of the bearing cups are loose (It's had a hard and muddy life..) and I like it so much I want a new one. Damn! They don't make them any more!

So... I'm after a good second hand frameset

Cut to the chase

Do they have American made ones (7.7?) Tiawanese ones (7.5?) and ones made out of coke can and bits of old chainring (7.3?)???
    Or
    Are they all made in the same factory to the same spec? (just painted a different colour)

I have a tuned shock so that isn't an issue either, just tubes and linkages...

Cheers
    J

EastBaySteez
    Im pretty sure they are all made over seas in Taiwan.
    Just different specs.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Capricious youth...
    As far as things go, I'd definitely opt for a pre-2008 framset. The standover height is better. Not to mention the straight top-tube on the 2008+ frames looks ridiculously cheap to me.

Have you considered just ordering new hardware/links? It'll be a lot cheaper than ordering a whole new frame.

By-the-by, depending on the frame year you have, a new frame may not work. The 2005 frames all used 9"x2.75" shocks and the rocker-links required the use of that size shock. If you have a 2005 frame, and you upgrade to a 2006, 07, or 08+ frame, you won't be able to use your shock without swapping over your older links (something that you're trying to avoid). You'll want to make sure that the shock you have is an 8.75"x2.75" shock, and it'll match up just fine with the new 2006, 07, 08+ frames.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    okay, I've got an 05 7point5, it's well used and could use new bushings/bearings. I'm also looking into upgrading the rear shock but most are 8.75x2.75. Where can I get the newer rocker links to run that size shock and parts to refresh my ride?
    Thanks for any advice,
    Daryl

Capricious youth...
    Talk to ihateu on MTBR here. He works at World Wide Cycles.

He'll help you out.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Prettym1k3

you seem to be quite knowledgable about your 7 points.

I have an 05 that i am trying to get running with the more standard 8.75 x 2.75.

Do I need just new upper links? Or New upper links and a new DW-Link?
    Will 06 parts fit onto an 05 bike?

best,
    -Tim

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Just bolt it up as is, it will work fine. I run an 8.75x2.75 rear shock on my 05 7.7 w/ no issues

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey Mk3Rider for the response!

What i was worried about, or i've read in one place, is that: with that size shock there will be metal on metal contact before the shock bottoms out.

Tire doesn't hit the frame on bottom out, or worse, the linkage and frame don't mash together?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I haven't had any issues with mine after two years of riding it. You should be good to go.