mtbr member

7p3 + Codes = lots of noise on the rear brake

Earlier this summer I put Code 5s on my 7p3. Love em so far, but the rear brake really makes a lot of noise. Its more a low pitch honk/vibration that a squeal. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter, caliper, and disc and made sure things were tight/torqued properly. All the pivots are also tight.

Noise is still there.

Thoughts?

banned
    The Rotor is twisting slightly.

mtbr member
    I found a thread in the brakes forum about similar issues with Juicy's so hopefully there'll be a fix in there. in the meantime i may test it with my old hayes rotor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had the same problem with mine. I never had my question answered, so ended up taking the brake off. There's some talk on the brake forum of certain frames being pretty much incompatible with that brake. I don't remember exactly, but it seems something about the frame design was causing a strange vibration. No idea if there's any truth to it, but it's a possibility, I suppose.

mtbr member
    It sounds like its pretty widespread with juicys as well. it sets up some sort of vibration in the frame. I can feel it in the bars. Going to see if I can get organic pads under warranty and some had luck with innertube wrapped around the brake side seatstay as well. Love the brakes otherwise and can't afford something else now and don't want to go back to the hayes nines that were stock.

Chumley for prez!
    I'm running codes with on my 6point (which I think shares the same rear triangle with the 7p)...anyway, I have run juicy 7's and codes. The juicy's "groan" sometimes when they are cold at low speeds, but my codes have been flawless.

My guess would be it's your rotor. Try swapping front and rear rotors and see if that makes a difference? Aren't code 5's essentially juicy levers and code calipers?

mtbr member
    yeah, juicy levers and code calipers. i'm going to try a few of the tips from the brakes forum for the same issues with juicy brakesets. Some guys with same problem with juicys had good luck with organic pads alone. And if i can get free parts under warranty from sram, why not?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My 7p howled with every rear brake I tried. Hayes 9, BB7, Juicy 5- all made a low pitch vibro-howl that I can feel in the handlebars and pedals. Swapped rotors, calipers, levers, but nothing made a difference as the howl always came back to varying degree.

Until last year, when the noise stopped completely. I didn't change anything major, it just stopped happening. No noise at all this year so far. W T H.

I did tear down my frame and replace bearings, pivots, etc- maybe that had something to do with it.

mtbr member
    mine didn't howl with the nines. maybe time to replace the parts you did, if they're still available.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    still avail, for a while at least: www.eccyclesupply.com

*site is down? Worked last week, they were selling rebuild kits for almost all IH models.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Had the exact same problem with my 7point. Ive been through 2 sets of Codes trying to figure out the (rear) howl and vibration issue. When I throw the (stock) Juicy 3 on the back, the howl/vibration goes away.

I've rebuilt the wheel, hub and caliper trying to find the root cause. I'm now thinking that it might be in the pivots. I just bought a new pivot kit, so I guess I will see. That is of course my code brakes don't sell before the pivot hardware swap.

Stay away from Code's, worst brakes I've ever owned. Bleeding them sucks, the levers stick down/aren't serviceable and the pistons stick or apply to the rotor unevenly. Terrible...

banned
    It is a combination effect of your Piston in the Caliper, and the Rotor deflecting as the Pistons are sluggish and ill-timed-to-clamp. Pads worn uneven, and with basic single-piston designs they cannot compensate as a dual or triple? piston-set would. They lessen a chance of pads wearing uneven by spreading control of the clamping action.
    My OE HFX-9 will do it, but they have single pistons and for sure are not matched with a throw from hi-po calipers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    But seriously, I think I get what you were trying to get at. Uneven clamping of all the pistons results in "harmonizing" by the rotor. That's pretty crappy, given I have been through 2 sets of warrantied Code rear brakes and a caliper rebuild and 2 dozen thorough bleeding sessions. Might give the Saint brakes a chance next, I can't imagine anything being worse than the codes...

banned
    Pistons in Brake Calipers rely upon suface-area just as much as Valves in an Internal Combustion engine. Brake-sets will disperse the clamping-force more evenly upon the pad-area (w/ less twisting force on its seals and the piston ltself).

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey
    But seriously, I think I get what you were trying to get at. Uneven clamping of all the pistons results in "harmonizing" by the rotor. That's pretty crappy, given I have been through 2 sets of warrantied Code rear brakes and a caliper rebuild and 2 dozen thorough bleeding sessions. Might give the Saint brakes a chance next, I can't imagine anything being worse than the codes...

banned
    My B.F.L levers and HFX-9 Calipers will resonate like mad. And they won't. It is not just the 'frame design', but dirt and binding on what is usually the large, lone pistons. Two sets of smaller pistons, 1/2" each say, will have more 'area' then a lone 3/4" piston. More Brake.