Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

7 point riders: Opinion?

5K views 57 replies 14 participants last post by  rideitall 
#1 ·
I see the '05 7.3's are on sale at performance for $1359. With a price like that I can afford to swap the fork right away for a 66 rc2x and the shock for a dhx 5 or maybe a roco, and sell the stock suss components on ebay.....maybe I'd end up at spending between 2200 and 2500 that way.

Any opinions on the idea? How do you all like your 7 points?

#29 ·
bump. mine is now on the way, along with a couple parts that I will be swapping out immediately. Can any 7.3 owners let me know if they had trouble with any of the stock parts? The spec looks pretty solid on paper (outside of the fork).

If anyone is chasing this Performance deal, when I ordered it on Tuesday afternoon, I believe they said they had about 10 or 11 left in stock of the size 17.

-r

#30 ·
7 Points at Performanc

RPET, I picked up the last 7.5 17", it should have already arrived as I ordered last Tuesday, but you know the usual BS ...

As far as the 7.3, the rear shock if properly sprung might work just fine. My only concern would be the stance fork.

I hope you have better luck with Performance than me.

Jeff

#31 ·
Performance had trouble authorizing my credit card for about 24 hours due to a problem with my billing address... and Performance's hours suck! What mail order business of this size closes at 5pm?? Plus their computers went down for a couple hours the day I ordered. So, I am of course a little disappointed with these events, but it's Performance, right??? I sort of look at it as the price I pay for the discount. I'm not handing my LBS $2500 for the bike.

But anyway - the bike was finally shipped out and has been delivered to my parents in California. I am in NYC and will be flying out to set up the bike on Friday. Fingers crossed that nothing was damaged in shipment.

Does anyone know what is the stock spring on the 7.3 size 17? I am a skinny 145lbs, so stock springs are usually too heavy for me.

#32 ·
None that I found

rpet said:
bump. mine is now on the way, along with a couple parts that I will be swapping out immediately. Can any 7.3 owners let me know if they had trouble with any of the stock parts? The spec looks pretty solid on paper (outside of the fork).

If anyone is chasing this Performance deal, when I ordered it on Tuesday afternoon, I believe they said they had about 10 or 11 left in stock of the size 17.

-r
The spec is super solid. I never rode the fork, so I can't comment on it's worthiness, but the rest of the parts were all quality stuff.
Secure the rear derailleur cable, wrap up the drive side rear triangle and have fun with it!

#34 ·
New Iron Horse 7 Point 5 - Need Help

Just got my new 2005 7.5, this one is a keeper but ...

I only have one complaint, and I am hoping the likes of DW or Dante or whoever from Iron Horse on these boards can help out. The rear hub on the 7.5 is a WTB. It just about killed me a number of times today. The hub does not engage. With constant pressure, like on a small uphill, it has no issues, but coast for a few seconds then try to pedal and lookout. The hub failed to engage and took a full pedal to hook up. Try to wheelie drop off a lip or needing that little peddle stroke to get over an obstacle and have the hub free-wheel half a revolution before engaging. These a likely the same shitty WTB hub that everyone was complaining about on the VP-Free bikes in 2004, but I thought that problem had been fixed.

I have an extra hub from my last bike with the 12 x 150 spacing so I will look to get a second wheel built up. My question to the Iron Horse people is how do I go about getting the hub/wheel fixed. I bought the bike from Performance Bikes, but live up in Vancouver, BC, so the only Iron Horse representation is Sport Check. If I have to start shipping stuff all over, I might as well just eat the cost of the hub and have the wheel rebuilt with a real hub.

Now onto the good stuff, here are a few snaps of the bike before its maiden voyage.

Attachments

#35 ·
rideitall said:
Nice!.....Nice fork too.

I was at a Seattle Performance yesterday and just barely kept myself from getting a 7.3 they had. If things work out I'll be getting a 7.3 and immediately hooking myself up with a 66rc2x and roco.

Let us know how it rides!:)

#36 ·
rideitall said:
I only have one complaint, and I am hoping the likes of DW or Dante or whoever from Iron Horse on these boards can help out. The rear hub on the 7.5 is a WTB...
This bike is from the first production of 05 bikes. WTB has since fixed the problem w/ the hubs. Drop them or the WTB distributor up your way a call and they can get you the part(s) you need. Here's the info straight from their website:

<<Q. Do you have a warranty policy?

A. Yes, although the warranty policy is different for each product category. If you believe you have a warranty product:

Call the WTB Warranty Department (415.389.5040 ex.16). They will ask you a few key questions, and determine if you have a warranty, or repair need. If neccessary, you will be issued a Return Authorization (RA) number. You then ship the product back to WTB. It's that easy!

WTB
Warranty Department
475 Miller Ave.
Mill Valley, CA 94941
RA#_______>>

-ska todd

#37 ·
Iron Horse 7 Point and Roco???

To ska todd or other IH folks

What is the official word on Roco 9 x 2.75 on a 2005 Iron Horse 7 Point 5. Will it work? Does it require any special fitting ...

I like the 3way that is on the bike, but issues with local service, have me looking at a Roco, as I might be able to get my hands on one these from a local shop.

thx

Jeff

#38 ·
rideitall said:
To ska todd or other IH folks

What is the official word on Roco 9 x 2.75 on a 2005 Iron Horse 7 Point 5. Will it work? Does it require any special fitting ...

I like the 3way that is on the bike, but issues with local service, have me looking at a Roco, as I might be able to get my hands on one these from a local shop.

thx

Jeff
FWIW, I was told by the mech at a IH shop they would work fine on '05 7 points.....

#39 ·
From what I've "heard" on the internet it should fit just fine.
I recall Brain Peterson from Marzocchi posting that he's seen a 7POINT fitted w/ the Roco.
No modifications required.
Call up Marzocchi or get in touch w/ him.
You also need to find out what the hardware situation is.
Then, let us know how it works.
I've been want one, but I'm waiting for a first hand report of how it works w/. the dw link.

#40 ·
WTB Hub Update

WTB got back to me on the faulty rear hub, and will be shipping out parts to corret the problem. It looks like it is an easy fix.

WTB indicated that this was a problem that was discovered on some of the early model SD hubs, but have since changed parts to correct it.

So kudos to WTB on the quick response on the customer service and problem resolution.

I will reserve my full judgement on the product until I get the parts and get some ride time on them.

#42 ·
jmac1911 said:
I've been doing some research on the 7 Point 3 and just as I was going to pull the trigger on the Performance deal they upped the price on Friday (03/24) to $1899. Nice to see that when your logging on to buy a bike, an extra $500.
I saw that too. Not ready to buy a bike yet, but it was disappointing.

#43 ·
rideitall said:

I only have one complaint, and I am hoping the likes of DW or Dante or whoever from Iron Horse on these boards can help out. The rear hub on the 7.5 is a WTB. It just about killed me a number of times today. The hub does not engage. With constant pressure, like on a small uphill, it has no issues, but coast for a few seconds then try to pedal and lookout. The hub failed to engage and took a full pedal to hook up. Try to wheelie drop off a lip or needing that little peddle stroke to get over an obstacle and have the hub free-wheel half a revolution before engaging. These a likely the same shitty WTB hub that everyone was complaining about on the VP-Free bikes in 2004, but I thought that problem had been fixed.

I have an extra hub from my last bike with the 12 x 150 spacing so I will look to get a second wheel built up. My question to the Iron Horse people is how do I go about getting the hub/wheel fixed. I bought the bike from Performance Bikes, but live up in Vancouver, BC, so the only Iron Horse representation is Sport Check. If I have to start shipping stuff all over, I might as well just eat the cost of the hub and have the wheel rebuilt with a real hub.

Now onto the good stuff, here are a few snaps of the bike before its maiden voyage.
Follow to my post on issues with WTB hubs on the IH 7.5

I contacted WTB Customer Service who asked a couple of questions on what was happening and agreed to send out the parts to fix. A couple days later the UPS truck delivered a new freehub body and piece that sits under the pawls to engage the pawls and freehub body (I don't know what that part is called).

It took me about 5 minutes to swap it out and put it back together. After the first ride all seems fine. So props to WTB on the quick customer service.

Jeff

#46 ·
I'm still waiting on my '06 7.3 that I bought at Performance on April 1st. I'm about ready to blow a gasket if they don't get the bike to me by Tuesday or Wednesday. But that's for another discussion...

I ordered a 66RC2X straight away. With the 20% points weekend going on at Performance I picked up the bike and fork for $2400. Will be trying to sell some of the OEM parts to recoup a bit more of my outlay, but all told I think it should be a good purchase (if it ever shows up).

I would love to throw a Roco on there, but that damn red on a green frame (no offense like) is too clashy for me. And when you have as little skill as I do, all you have left is how color coordinated your bike is!

Now if I could get those red bits painted I'd be in business with the Roco to replace the Manitou Metel R.......

#48 · (Edited)
7 Point and Roco

Okay a little more info on the Roco and the 7 Point. No fitting or contact issues on the 2005 7 Point what so ever. I took the spring off an cycled the shock through it's full range. You will notice that the shock is mounted reverse from how the 5th Element ships. I did this because the rebound adjustment was too tight when setup like the 5th. With the piggyback up no contact issues.

Setup details. The shock came stock with a 450lb spring, I weigh about 185lb so likely about 195lb with gear. I was able to get the sag set with the spring preload to around 25%. The air chamber did not seem to affect the setup very much at all. Other posts I searched indicated it is for bottom out resistant, so I guess that makes sense. The rebound controll has more of an impact that the compression in that you can almost lock out the shock with the rebound. Now for the ride report.

I only had a chance to do one run on Sunday but got a little bit of everything on that one run. For locals to Vancouver, I climbed out of the Mushroom parking lot to the CBC exit and up to TNT. TNT to Dirty Diapers, then into Neds.

The bike is far more active, I don't want to say too active but it's close. I need to try more settings for setup and talk to a few people that have been running these (Hukk bikes and Noel from Noelly bikes) and get some additional insight. The 7 Point moves around alot more on the slow out of the saddle techinical pedalling with the Roco. I think I would have preferred the 5th Element on the TNT/Dirty Diapers trail sections. Not exactly what I wanted, but the plus side to this aspect is that is was totally in sync with the 888 on the front.

The ride report changes 100% as soon as I hit Neds. This is a fast flowing trail, where plush shocks shine, and the Roco felt way better than the 5th. Aside from a couple of drops I don't think my rear tire left the ground, the Roco allows the back of the bike to stay stuck to the dirt.

That's it for now. If Noel, or Brian from Marz, or or any of the guys from Hukk are on the boards, your knowledge on additional Roco setup would be helpful.

thx

Jeff

PS to Jon_boy the stem is the stock one that came with the 888, so nothing else new for now. I am going to send my 5th out to get the revavling done. What is the procedure with the RA number, do you get this from IH or Progressive.

PS to HBT, I agree with you on the IH green and the Roco Red, not my first choice on colour match, but what can you do. The colours don't make the bike ride any better, and if it looks ugly then I don't have to worry as much about someone stealing it.

#49 ·
You get the RA from Progressive.

Thanks for the being the Roco fit guinea pig and taking the time to write a review.

Initially it sounds like the 5th is better for pedaling days and the Roco is great for those "Shuttle Scum" days. :D

EDIT: What spring weight are you using on the 5th?

#50 ·
Roco

Winston said:
You get the RA from Progressive.

Thanks for the being the Roco fit guinea pig and taking the time to write a review.

Initially it sounds like the 5th is better for pedaling days and the Roco is great for those "Shuttle Scum" days. :D

EDIT: What spring weight are you using on the 5th?
Winston
I had the 300lb on the 5th Element 3-way that was stock for a 17 inch 7 Point 5. I was able to get the proper sag, but likely a 350 would have been better.

#51 ·
Sounds like the perfect shock for me since my 7.3 will be only ridden on days when we shuttle or push to the top of our local freeridey trails. Plus I plan on doing a bunch of downhill races on the bike so the more active the better.

But I shouldn't put the cart before the horse. I still need to get my bike, and I still need to make enough money to afford to replace the stock Manipoo Metel shock. ;)

Oh and upon further consideration, I think a little bit of black tape could fix up the problematic red bits on the shock. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.