Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plasko

6point6 ground-up build

As I've eluded to in a previous post, I am building a 6point6 from the ground up, with a mixture of new & used components. I couldn't resist the sweet closeout deal that RS was offering, and the timing was perfect since my previous mtb frame broke on a ride. The component list so far includes the following:

Frame - IronHorse 6point6 (duh)
    Fork - Rock Shox Lyrik Solo Air, 160mm travel
    Rims - Mavic 823
    Brakes - OG 4-pot Shimano XT-M755 front, XT-M756 rear
    Rear Hub - Hadley Titanium
    Cassette - Sram X9
    Front Hub - Marzocchi 20mm thru-axle
    Shifters - Sram X9
    Rear dérailleur - Sram X9
    Front Derailleur - Unknown; was going to use one I had, but it doesn't fit - any suggestions??
    Crankset - OG Isis Race Face Turbine forged w/ FSA internal bb
    Chainguide - Blackspire Stinger
    Seatpost - OG Thompson 27.2mm w/ spacer
    Saddle - Not sure yet, but I have two WTB saddles on hand to choose from

I'll update the list above as I continue with the build.

A couple issues I've noticed so far:

- The top bolt clearance on the ISCG mount is minimal. The bolts that came with the Blackspire are 17mm long. Based on measuring the area, it looks like I can only get a 14mm bolt in there without causing interference issues.

- The front dérailleur that I had from my old bike (Turner 5 spot) will not fit, no matter how I try. It is an older Shimano LX model, but its served me faithfully through several bikes. Not sure what FD people are running on this frame, but as soon as I finish typing this, I am going to do some searching. Anybody have some input on this?

That's about it for now, my progress pictures are below. I'm hoping to finish most of the build this weekend, but with finals coming up, I might not get as far as I'd like. Anyway, enjoy the pics :-)

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Crankset - OG Isis Race Face Turbine forged w/ FSA internal bb

what a bb? link please.
    where you get crankset?

Plasko
    Thanks, wormvine! I'm going to swing by my LBS today to see if they have it. If not, looks like I'll be shopping the intarbwebz.

D1mkoFF - BB = bottom bracket, its the part that your crank arms bolt to. I have an older style, 3-piece configuration with internal bearings, but most of the newer models are 2-piece with outboard bearings. A google search will yield you thousands, nay - millions of results for cranksets.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    A bolt on hub.....?!?!?! WHY?!

Derailleurs: look on Jensonusa.com
    Saddle: I dont really like the look of the one you have pictured. It looks a bit cheesy because of the chrome colored material, and I think the 6point6 deserves something better looking. Check out pricepoint.com, they have good deals on saddles and prettymuch every other bike part you may need.

Plasko
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    A bolt on hub.....?!?!?! WHY?!

Derailleurs: look on Jensonusa.com
    Saddle: I dont really like the look of the one you have pictured. It looks a bit cheesy because of the chrome colored material, and I think the 6point6 deserves something better looking. Check out pricepoint.com, they have good deals on saddles and prettymuch every other bike part you may need.
    Agreed about the seat - it ain't pretty, but it sure is comfortable! Its on there as a placeholder for now, as I have a newer/sleeker saddle ready to go on it. BUT - if the chrome saddle turns out to be the more comfortable of the two, its going back on.

I actually picked up the Saint front dérailleur at my LBS yesterday. I had to pick up a couple other parts, and they hooked me up pretty darn good.

As far as the rear axle goes, the quick-release model that came with the bike was a bit weak IMO, and didn't offer enough support to the frame. The bolt-on that is on there now is super strong, and pretty light as well. I don't really mind the bolt-on vs. QR, especially if its going to be strong & reliable.

Arizona beats the hell out of bikes, and I'm mostly concerned about reliability at this point. If it takes me an extra minute to change out a flat once in a while, so be it, small price to pay.

mtbr member
    Wow, that is one sweet setup! Definitely a nice build so far, going to be one hell of a ride!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Update???
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

Plasko
    Sorry, I've been busy studying for finals

My last final is this coming Wednesday. After that, its on!!!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    LUCKY! My last is next Friday. Then, I get a ton of new shiznat for my bike

Plasko
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    LUCKY! My last is next Friday. Then, I get a ton of new shiznat for my bike
    Nice! What upgrades you doing?

It always seems like school is getting in the way of my fun

Dropshot Champ!
    they're soooo cheap right now. I'm considering upgrading from my mkiii. Costs about the same for 2 rear triangles on the mkiii! Would need a new rear wheels and crankset tho.

The green you have looks different from their site.

Dropshot Champ!
    ah i guess they're two different greens. sick build man, gl!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Wheelset, cassette, derailleurs, hopefully upgrade to 9 speed, saddle, tires, tubes, and chain. The wheelset, rear derailleur, chain, rotors and cassette are for sure. As for the saddle, tires, 9 speed upgrade, and front derailleur im not sure....those depend on how much money I can get by summer. Bell rang...lunch time....I'll be on in 6th period (around 1:45. C ya

Plasko
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    ah i guess they're two different greens. sick build man, gl!
    Thanks, red!

Hardtailkid - damn, that's a helluva upgrade list! You're almost building a whole new bike

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Yeah pretty much. These IH frames (hardtails mostly) are indestructable. I got the bike at Sports Authority so I was planning on doing upgrades along the way. The stock components arent too great. The wheelset on it is dented, out of true, and heavy. I did the denting with 45lbs psi inthe rear on the lip of a ditch (the spot where the road cuts off and the ditch starts). That took about a 1 and a half foot jump. Untrued thanks to landing awkwardly once or twice.

WTB saddle: my rails are bent for whatever reason, and the covor is starting to tear. Heavy as well.

Cassette: really heavy, can be bought on WalMarts website

Rear Derailleur: low end, not even on par with Alivio, shaky and and cage moves around when I pedal.

Front Derailleur: Shimano SIS, clamp is grimy and miscolored. Plud I can get a new one for $6 from JensonUSA

And I didn't mentionthis before, but new cables and housing all arouns. The rear derailleur housing has no support; all the wires in it came out (I pulled two that where cutting up my leg and the rest started to come with it.

I wish I could find a 30.8 (NOT 30.9mm) seatpost to replace the one on the bike.

My crankset is TruVativ so I won't upgrade it real soon unless I manage to kill it.

Once I get a super nice setup withthis bike, I plan on upgrading the frame to an All Mountain full suspension. Either Iron Horse, Motobecane, Sette, Jamis, or whatever I can afford with the budget I will have in the coming year or so. I want to get a job at the LBS, as I do allthe work on my bike and need the money. Id say I'm qualified.

Now that I stole your thread......LOL sorry bout that. And are you in college?

Plasko
    I can definitely see why you're upgrading all those parts - you should have one sweet ride when you're done!!

And now that you've hijacked my thread so thoroughly

yes, I am in college. I'm actually an adult business owner finishing up an engineering degree. I can tell you this - college was a whole lot easier when I was younger

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Any new parts on the bike since the first pics?

Plasko
    Not yet, but I'm planning to finish the entire build by this weekend. Then I'll definitely be updating the thread. Hell, I might even bust out with my studio strobes for the final pics

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Nice! So based on that, I guess it's pretty safe to assume you are in to photography?

Plasko
    Yeah, just a little bit

I didn't really spend any time setting up lighting while building the bike - I didn't want to deal with big lights getting in my way. I figured that a fast lens & high iso would be good enough for the intended purpose. Hell, I didn't even shoot RAW, I just set the camera for jpeg's for quick uploading

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Nice. I'm not in to studio photography, but I like doing outdoorsy stuff. You can look at some of my decent pics (not the best I've taken by any means) on www.middletonsfishcamp.com

I know it is the most redneck excuse for getting my photos published, but I guess it counts. I gave the lady that owns the camp a CD with my pics on it that I took at their lake and I didn't expect her to put all of them on her site. I thought she was gonna just pick the best. I got a free night in a cabin on the lake for it. My photos on her website brought a proffesional photographer over from Britain to take some pictures of Osprey. They have next to none mating couples of Osprey in Britain so he couldn't just look at my photos. He came over t\o experience it. His pics are also on the site. They also brought tons of money in to the camp because I guess people have seen my pictures and decided to go on nature tours. Its probably brought in $10,000 to the family that owns the camp. They are under a tab on the site that says "bird pictures" or something like that. I havent been on the site since last summer. BTW, I shoot with a Canon XTi, Canon 70-200mm L series lens, also a Canon 28-135mm IS USM. Tell me what ya think

Andy

Plasko
    Great job, Andy! Your photos obviously made an impact if the camp has gotten that much business from them - definitely an accomplishment to be proud of!!

I actually do a wide variety of photography - I just happen to have studio strobes for the times that I need them (not very often). Below is a link to my personal photo website, which is in desperate need of an update - I've got so much more new material to add, I just haven't had the time

Lot 80

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Now that you are done with school finish that bike, dude! You said your last exam is today, right?!

I like your photography. It's really unique. You have a really good eye and I like the creative approach in the Architecture album.

What camera do you use?
    Last edited by hardtailkid; 05-12-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Plasko
    Yeah, my last final was yesterday, so its time to get busy again!

Thanks for the compliments - I actually shoot Sony. Its kinda funny, but I just shot a big rock concert recently, and I was the ONLY photographer there not shooting Canon . Nothing wrong with Canon, I just chose the Sony system for the legacy Minolta glass. Other "pro" photographers sure do look at you funny, though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast