mtbr member
    Sep 2008

6point - stiff enough?

Hello guys

I am thinking of buying an Iron Horse 6point frame and I have a question to owners/users of such frames: is it stiff enough? I used to ride a bike which had very poor lateral stiffness and it was VERY annoying... So what do you think about 6point?

banned
    Mine can fly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jay11
    Hello guys

I am thinking of buying an Iron Horse 6point frame and I have a question to owners/users of such frames: is it stiff enough? I used to ride a bike which had very poor lateral stiffness and it was VERY annoying... So what do you think about 6point?

Jay,

If you're refering to the frame as a whole it's definitely stiff for the weight. I shuttled mine a lot and never felt serious flex. If you want to get really critical the rear triangle is not quite as stiff as some of the boutique freeride bikes I have owned but it's certainly not what I would call 'flexy' . Take in mind I'm 225 with gear so most bikes tend to flex under me just a bit. I owned a Nomad for a while and the rear triangle felt slightly stiffer to me. On the other hand I owned a Bottle Rocket and the rear would flex way more than the my 6 Point. So in short the 6 Point definitely has no issues with flex and tracks very well. You will really like it. No one yet has reported a broken 6 point, at least to my knowledge.
    Last edited by DirtDiggler; 08-30-2010 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Same rear triangle as the 7 Point, 83mm BB, 150x12mm rear ThruAxle. Absolutely destroys other AM bikes in it's class, especially Nomads. Nuff said.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    Same rear triangle as the 7 Point, 83mm BB, 150x12mm rear ThruAxle. Absolutely destroys other AM bikes in it's class, especially Nomads. Nuff said.

Have FUN!

G MAN

I agree that the 6 Point is superior to the Nomad, I hope that wasn't misunderstood.

I was just comparing since the question of stiffness was asked. The Nomad felt stiffer in the rear but the 6 Point just rode better all around. I still haven't found a better bike.
    Last edited by DirtDiggler; 08-30-2010 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Are you looking at the frames on E-bay? Just so you know, they run small so go one size bigger if you're at the upper end of the recommended size range. I'd like to find a large so if anyone knows of one please PM me!

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

banned
    Echoing what Wormvine/GMan stated, this bike should be what ROCKY MOUNTAIN has done with their newest Slayer. It makes the great AM bike, easily does DH with some select parts thrown at it, and can be built to suit XC. But I don't see an XC build doing underweight AM riding, the bike has to have mass to it to keep its charge. There is just one IronHorse theme build for the bike; I'd say this bike could have three builds, all unique.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you for your replies and sorry for not writing for so long...

Looks like this frame should be nice...

To Gman: I was looking for a medium - I like smaller bikes because they are easier to operate in difficult terrain.