Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

6 point - what weight coil do I need???

I have a 6 point frame here, brand new, one of the closeouts. I haven't built it up yet. I want to run a coil shock on it... anyone have a recommendation for the coil weight? Rider is 175 pounds or so. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw
    I have a 6 point frame here, brand new, one of the closeouts. I haven't built it up yet. I want to run a coil shock on it... anyone have a recommendation for the coil weight? Rider is 175 pounds or so. Thanks!
    See http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    300 to 350 pound spring depending on how firm you like it.

banned
    I am hesitant to put a Coil-Shock on this bike, because it is-less 6 pounds over the 7POINT it is based upon, and has the same general-dimensions. So most of that weight is lost by it's tubing. With only a single, un-reinforced boss on the DownTube I would keep an Air Shock.

The Sunday had those massive gussets along the lower-mount, no-way for the shock to deflect or bind with a sharp flex of the piston.

A 'VIVID-Air' would be very, very sweet though.

Chumley for prez!
    I ran a coil shock all last year on the 6point...It sort of depends what length shock you plan on running. I ran a 8.5 x 2.5 and had to run a slightly heavier spring than what the calculators said (I'm 185 lbs naked and ended up with a 450 lb spring). Running this shock changed the suspension dynamics a bit as I lost some of the platform/anti-squat whatever at the beginning of the travel. I like the geometry changes that came with the 8.5 x 2.5 (~13.4bb, 66 HA), so I was willing to take a hit on pedaling performance.
    Most people (that I have seen) are running 8.75 x 2.75 coils to get 7" of travel. AFAIK there isn't a 8.75 x 2.5" direct replacement coil shock, unless you get something custom.

So I guess do you want more travel, or identical travel (160mm) and lower, slacker geometry with reduced pedaling efficiency?

edit: Didn't mean to post like I was replying to UJ....My post was directed at the OP, my bad.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    I ran a coil shock all last year on the 6point...It sort of depends what length shock you plan on running. I ran a 8.5 x 2.5 and had to run a slightly heavier spring than what the calculators said (I'm 185 lbs naked and ended up with a 450 lb spring). Running this shock changed the suspension dynamics a bit as I lost some of the platform/anti-squat whatever at the beginning of the travel. I like the geometry changes that came with the 8.5 x 2.5 (~13.4bb, 66 HA), so I was willing to take a hit on pedaling performance.
    Most people (that I have seen) are running 8.75 x 2.75 coils to get 7" of travel. AFAIK there isn't a 8.75 x 2.5" direct replacement coil shock, unless you get something custom.

So I guess do you want more travel, or identical travel (160mm) and lower, slacker geometry with reduced pedaling efficiency?

edit: Didn't mean to post like I was replying to UJ....My post was directed at the OP, my bad.
    Ha Ha! The funniest thing is while you were waiting for some way to attach yourself to whatever it is I do here, I was doing Trail-Work the entire time.
    Sucks to be you, being so damned ugly you have to tell Internet-users you get naked.

Chumley for prez!
    OOOOH burn! looks like you got me once again, crap there goes my day
    Trust me, there is nothing I like less than being associated with your sorry a$$.
    I was just answering the OP's question, which you failed to do with your nonsensical rambling.

p.s. nice work on the trail work, were some of the nails coming up on the boardwalk?
    Last edited by mr. welcorn; 05-10-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: to give UJ a pat on the back for doing trail work, he sounds like he wanted his ego stroked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jemima
    I am hesitant to put a Coil-Shock on this bike, because it is-less 6 pounds over the 7POINT it is based upon, and has the same general-dimensions. So most of that weight is lost by it's tubing. With only a single, un-reinforced boss on the DownTube I would keep an Air Shock.

The Sunday had those massive gussets along the lower-mount, no-way for the shock to deflect or bind with a sharp flex of the piston.

A 'VIVID-Air' would be very, very sweet though.
    I don't understand what you are saying. What difference would air vs coil make regarding the downtube? What do you mean: deflect, bind, sharp flex of piston? What conditions would cause something like this to happen?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

It needs to be slack and low, that is why I want to go 8.5x2.5. Also, I don't want 7" of travel. How much pedalling efficiency did you lose with the shorter shock? How drastic of a difference is it? Thanks for the reply.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    It needs to be slack and low, that is why I want to go 8.5x2.5. Also, I don't want 7" of travel. How much pedalling efficiency did you lose with the shorter shock? How drastic of a difference is it? Thanks for the reply.
    I don't know what story mr.welcorn will come back to tell ya, but from what I saw his 6 Point bobbed like the head of a tranny hooker or Uncle Jemima on a $2 date with that shorter stroke shock on it.
    Keep in mind that he runs a single ring so that effect wasn't happening in the granny gear as it would regardless of the stroke shock on any DW Link bike.

Chumley for prez!
    It needs to be slack and low, that is why I want to go 8.5x2.5. Also, I don't want 7" of travel. How much pedalling efficiency did you lose with the shorter shock? How drastic of a difference is it?
    Yeah I was in the same boat, I feel like the travel of the 6point was adequate, I just wanted more of a mini-DH type feel to the bike. It bobbed quite a bit and I was running a DHX5 with lots low speed compression (propedal). The shock felt really soft at the beginning of the stroke as I was probably skipping over the platform or anti-squat part of the suspension curve by putting a shorter shock on. To try to compensate for this I ran a 50 lb heavier spring, and I didn't notice it being harsh on small bumps. If you like to stand up to climb then the 8.5 x 2.5 coil is going to suck, if you like to sit and spin you'll probably be fine with it. If you want the bike for descending and climbing is just a necessary evil then I say do it.

I am back on the dhx air as it is early season and I wanted to cut some weight from the bike until I get in shape. I put a shim in the outer air sleeve of the dhx air (there are linksto this mod on the forum somewhere, I just used an old water bottle and some park grease to full the volume). It seems to firm up the mid-stroke a bit on the DHX air. I will probably go back to the coil later (once I am fit) but will probably have PUSH work it over to help give the dhx a bit more platform for pedaling.

banned
    I don't understand what you are saying. What difference would air vs coil make regarding the downtube? What do you mean: deflect, bind, sharp flex of piston? What conditions would cause something like this to happen?
    There is not enough reinforcement on this frame for a Coil Spring shock, my opinion.

Take a once-over at how little material there is for a very powerful Coil to overpower,
    compared with a flux-air spring type shock and it's for forgiving resistance.
    The 7POINT frame used larger tubes, perhaps thicker around this area also. With the potential for deflections in operating angle with flex, say, you will experiance binding, less than optimal performance, and then a flexxed-out bottom bracket. Not good.

You can do whatever you want, and will be inclined to do just so by more than enough here.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Dumb

There is not enough reinforcement on this frame for a Coil Spring shock, my opinion.

Take a once-over at how little material there is for a very powerful Coil to overpower,
    And this is exactly why no one should take Uncle Jemima seriously .

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

The 7POINT frame used larger tubes, perhaps thicker around this area also. With the potential for deflections in operating angle with flex, say, you will experiance binding, less than optimal performance, and then a flexxed-out bottom bracket. Not good.

You can do whatever you want, and will be inclined to do just so by more than enough here.
    Thanks for the tip.

banned

Responding

Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    And this is exactly why no one should take Uncle Jemima seriously .
    Like you can contribute anything other than your Daily Briefs for whomever you are a tool on a pinhead for. No-one had ever seen or heard of your repeated attachments to the Iron Horse forum until a state of peril. Iron Horse bankruptcy.
    I remember your own want of 'civility' in the lamest of all 'click and paste' thread about it having clinging to SRAM and ROCKSHOX. A 'BlackBox' program only you would understand. Round hole then?

For whatever it is worth to the thread, it is devicive and contrived attempts to stay vital by worked-over nobodies to get your Money. They could care less about selling you on a Coil Shock at this instant in time; to push you into wanting it regardless of its overall benefit is all they want only to take from you the simple operation of it before.

That is exactly what I believe about you and your slim friend there, pal-o-mine. Not that Industry is like that at all. A target audience is all you need, though it seems to be thinning out.

Where the Wild Things Are, Bro.

banned
    Thanks for the tip.
    Then put a Coil Shock on your bike. End of story.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Thanks for the tip.
    Personally, I think a coil shock on a 6 Point would be fine. Unlike the MKIII's and 7 Points, you don't see too many 6 Points with broken frames or inherent problems. Besides the Sunday, that was one bike the old Iron Horse brand did right.

mr.welcorn isn't the smoothest guy on a bike and he's beat the sh!t out of his 6 Point for the past year. If he hasn't broken one yet, I think you'll be ok.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    A target audience is all you need, though it seems to be thinning out.

Agreed. Things here seem to be thinning out like the validity of the Iron Horse brand anymore.
    I'm guessing you'll the be the hold out here. Like the last one still barely alive in some random air pocket deep inside the Titanic, running out of air as it rests on the ocean floor.

How's that warranty and spare parts availability treating you anyway?

Chumley for prez!
    haha "Bro".....you crack my $hit up! I think you just might spin off this planet and I love it. I sincerely from the bottom of my heart love, LOVE your posts. Although it is raining here, reading your ramblings is like a rainbow....

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about breaking the 6point, and if you do, a replacement is only 600 bucks away, including a new dhx Fair (that ain't too bad). I haven't heard a report of one breaking yet and I am sure there are people riding the bike harder than me.

Oh, and while some people call me "Slim", I really prefer Bro-seph, Bro-cephus, or Ayatollah Bro-menei...so proceed accordingly. Oh yeah, can we lock this thread now?

banned
    Whatever. You two jammin' the Idiot Wind forget how sternly you tried to direct the flow of traffic over the Internet with the 'IH in the News' thread. How many Posts and Topics have the two-of-you had deleted, then only to avoided shedding light upon? Many. You two need this attention like it is your Drug of Choice.
    Why you choose me to static-cling toward is puzzling myself along with others. And very certainly anyone who needs suggestions like this thread was began with.
    Give it up. It has never gone anywhere and you will never, ever succeed.

haha "Bro".....you crack my $hit up! I think you just might spin off this planet and I love it. I sincerely from the bottom of my heart love, LOVE your posts. Although it is raining here, reading your ramblings is like a rainbow....

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about breaking the 6point, and if you do, a replacement is only 600 bucks away, including a new dhx Fair (that ain't too bad). I haven't heard a report of one breaking yet and I am sure there are people riding the bike harder than me.

Oh, and while some people call me "Slim", I really prefer Bro-seph, Bro-cephus, or Ayatollah Bro-menei...so proceed accordingly. Oh yeah, can we lock this thread now?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Whatever . You jammin' the Idiot Wind thread many Posts and Topics have the only to avoided shedding light upon? Many . You need this attention like static-cling toward is puzzling myself very certainly anywhere and will ever succeed.
    Definitely agree with you bro .

It's the effect of nose to tail saddle ratio that will cause a coil shock to impale the innards of a Mongoose painted and stickered to look like an Iron Horse featured in many BRAIN articles pre-X-mas! Modifying the pin joint juncture to accomodate will produce fatigue in the legs upon epic ascents only to have more lactic acid build in the coil and thus a myriad of unniceities.

There. Typed out in long hand English As A Second Language so that you may understand things a bit better.

You're welcome .

Chumley for prez!
    Oh, heck...in an effort to get this thread deleted or closed or whatever I'll take a stab at this post with a few excerpts I find amusing.

Whatever. You two jammin' the Idiot Wind
    See this is a perfect example...I have no idea what you are trying to say here, is this an insult? It is unintelligible, but nonetheless wildly hilarious!

How many Posts and Topics have the two-of-you had deleted, then only to avoided shedding light upon?
    First, I really don't know, how many? Here I thought you were doing your part to help get them deleted, turns out it was all my fault . Second, I can't quite understand how the word "avoided" fits in to your sentence . You got me, I'm laughing again!

You two needWhy you choose me to static-cling toward is puzzling myself along with others.
    I think I have laid it out clear enough, but the reason I "cling" to you is that I find you funny. Well maybe amusing is a better word for it.

And very certainly anyone who needs suggestions like this thread was began with.
    Ah, now this is interesting. What did the OP want to know about again? Oh yeah what weight spring to use on a coil shock for his 6point. A question you are admittedly unqualified to answer, given your assertion that this is a CRAZY idea. I at least attempted to answer his question so give me a little credit.

I shouldn't be in the IH forums too much longer, once my 6point with coil shock spontaneously bursts into flames. I think I'll buy an ibex next, unless those sweet new airborne's are available, then WATCH OUT!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Need to merge the Iron Donkey Thread with the Airborne thread. Or would it be the Iron Donkey-Randall Scott thread? Iron Horse/Airborne/RS Cycles merged thread?

I'm still confused from that Iron Horse Reborn As BS e-speculation thread. Iron Horse is being reborn as a department store bike. That realization is what's getting Uncle Jemima all butt hurt.

Ride your DW Link Iron Horse until it breaks and then move on.

Homer's problem child

Dear UJ,
    Can you please explain this using real suspension terms such as spring rate, linear, progressive, etc.. and back up your arguement? Maybe even throw in the ideal gas law and some force verse displacement graphs illustrating the difference between a coil and air spring.

Because I'm calling schenanigans and saying you don't know crap about what you are talking about. The unfortunate part is there may be a hint of truth to your statement, but I am confident you can't communicate it properly, and it definitely does not apply to the 6-point.

And yes, I know the answer to this question. I'm here to watch you explain yourself.

BY

P.S. I really hope English is a second language, because I'd feel real bad about arguing with a retard on the internet...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Chumley for prez!
    Is it just me or is the IH forum reminiscent of Lord of the Flies?

"sucks to your assmar!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast