Thread: 6.6 size

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

6.6 size

I'm looking at possibly getting a 6.6, I'm 5-11ish with a 30" inseam, would a 17" frame be too small for me (not able to test ride the bike)
    Just another redneck with a bike

yeah, uh............bikes
    i'm pretty close to that size, bump my knees on the stem every once in a while, but overall very happy with the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Double...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Whats the length of the toptube on these guys, and how long of a stem are you running.

Right now I'm on a Large stumpy, but it feels a little to big on the descents. My old hardtail is a 17" frame, but the stem has gotta be 100 or 110. I like a stretched feel, but thats sent me over the bars more than once on a descent.

yeah, uh............bikes
    here are the specs i got when i was comparing bikes......
    2008 6point 17" frame (recommended for 5'7" to 5'11")
    HT angle = 67.5
    ST angle = 73.5
    Top Tube = 23
    chainstay = 17.1
    Wheelbase = 43.75
    BB Height = 13.78
    no standover measurement

really wish the old catalog was online somewhere

mtbr member
    The 17" (medium) is too small for me (using a 50mm stem which I won't compromise for FR/DH use) and I'm 5'9". I strongly suggest getting a large! The wheelbase is short too when you compare to other mediums. OTOH the 7 Points ran true to size.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

6-point sizing

The 6 point sizing is based on a 25.4mm (1 inch) layback seat post. So if the effective top tube length on the 17" frame is 23" then is actually 22" without the layback post.

I have a pdf of the IH catalogs but is well over the size limit for attaching (approx 5mb). PM me with an email address if you want a copy. Perhaps someone knows how to attach it or possibly make it smaller.

To the OP, I am just shy of 5'10" and have a 17" 6 Point that I wish was a little longer. I may end up going back to the 7 point as the 17" size ETT of 23" is without a layback seatpost.

Cheers.

Fragile - must be Italian
    I'm only 5'7" and I ride the 17" frame and it fits me perfectly. These frames run pretty small. The effective top tube on the 17" frame is only 22", which is pretty damn short even for an AM bike. Most similarly sized frames are 1/2 - 1" longer.

For your size I would go with the bigger frame.

You are going to really enjoy this bike.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm 5'11" also and love the fit of my 6.x.
    I'm running a 60mm stem and 10mm offset post.
    I was a bit nervous about the fit based on many strong opinions that they run small but turned out just great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

pdf catalog 2008

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    really wish the old catalog was online somewhere

I was recently looking for it as well and found it here:

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/iron-...log-16504.html

Sometimes I say stupid things

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I recently went from a MKIII to a 6Point and used some of the components that were on my MKIII (like the seatpost).

Does the MKIII use a 25.4mm layback seatpost also? i.e. Is using a MKIII seatpost on my 6Point effectively shortening the frame size?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMartini
    Does the MKIII use a 25.4mm layback seatpost also? i.e. Is using a MKIII seatpost on my 6Point effectively shortening the frame size?
    No,
    and Yes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    UJ, thanks.

and...crap. Well then, does anyone know a list of seatposts with a 1" offset?

I've done some searches for Race Face Evolve XC, but only find 0.5" offset seatpost.

It does looks like the MKIII seatpost has some offset, not sure how much though, but I'm 6'1" and the bike has always felt a little small.

banned
    Some MKIII bikes had a straight-post, but it was not factored into the TT measure. 30.0mm diameter is becoming quite the odd-size, so you are likely going to need a shimmed post and if you need the most room, going to have to get one of the K-Force FSA posts, which are never less than $120. Why not try with wider handlebars and a flatter stem rise?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    There's no way I'll pay $120 on an inanimate carbon or steel rod.

I may just take the plunge ream my bike out to 30.9 and put a KS i900 in. It's got a 30mm offset if I recall correctly.

30mm seat tubes are a pain It's such a nice round simple number, strange that it didn't catch on.

mtbr member
    UJ, thanks.

and...crap. Well then, does anyone know a list of seatposts with a 1" offset?

I've done some searches for Race Face Evolve XC, but only find 0.5" offset seatpost.

It does looks like the MKIII seatpost has some offset, not sure how much though, but I'm 6'1" and the bike has always felt a little small.
    The Race Face Respond seatpost comes in 30.0 and has a 3/4" offset, the most I've been able to find.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Embarassed to ask this question, but will only have to ask once. What is ETT? And how do I measure it on my bike?
    I'm gathering it is a distance maybe from the headtube to the center of the seat post.

Can't find an answer via google.

banned
    You said it with one of your posts: 'Effective Top Tube'. It just implies that this TT length has secondary measurements for its product: the setback of the seatpost. Keep in mind the dw-link riding bike will have rider-position variables, so an 'ETT" measurement is not overly odd for the bike. Heck, I'm out of the seat a bit more than I am in it anyway.

Embarassed to ask this question, but will only have to ask once. What is ETT? And how do I measure it on my bike?
    I'm gathering it is a distance maybe from the headtube to the center of the seat post.

Can't find an answer via google.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just bought a 6.6 in medium, I am 5'10 and the bike feels about right in medium. I am also running a seatpost with a little layback. Not sure how much compared to the other ones mentioned, but it seems to be comparable to the RaceFace model, and at 6.50 at Jenson USA, can't beat the price. Easton EA30 in 30.0 size
    Last edited by Thunderboltgreaseslapper; 11-25-2010 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderboltgreaseslapper
    I just bought a 6.6 in medium, I am 5'10 and the bike feels about right in medium. I am also running a seatpost with a little layback. Not sure how much compared to the other ones mentioned, but it seems to be comparable to the RaceFace model, and at 6.50 at Jenson USA, can't beat the price. Easton EA30 in 30.0 size
    My MKIII came with an Easton EA30 30mm seatpost and that's what I"m using on my 6point. I measured it with a tape measure the other day and it looks like the EA30 has a 1/2" offset. The 6 Point "should" have a 1" offset. Maybe I can just mount/slide my seat back an extra 1/2" on the post to make it a full 1"

banned
    It is just a single-bolt clincher.