mtbr member

2008 MkIII making creaking noise! help

Well my MK hasn't broke the rear triangle after about 2 1/2 years of riding so i think i should be good on that hopefully.

The problem I'm having is a creaking noise when I pedal hard. I'm pretty sure I tracked it down the the lower rear linkage of the dw link. So I think the sound just kind of resonates through the frame making that annoying creak sound on every stroke of the crank. The bearings had a little bit of play so I'm hoping that is the problem. I greased the bolt and put everything back together and i've did this about 3 times. The bike is good for a ride or 2 then the creaking comes back. I'm sure i should just replace all the bearings but i just ordered those 2 bottom bearings so well see if this fixes my problem.

Some people said it could be caused from the cracked triangle but I inspected it and no crack.

Any other mkIII's had this problem or fixed it some how?
    My Girl friend said, " it's not about how LONG your travel is... its's how well you use it!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had a similar problem, and was completely annoyed by it. It's something you may need to get used to because otherwise it may need some serious input. For me, the noise comes from the lower link when it moves on the long bolt(well, the thingy with two little bolts in it) in the rear triangle. At first, tightening the little allen bolts helped, but i think the lower link, since it's made of aluminum, simply wears out a tiny bit, becomes ovalized and begins moving around. Your option is either live with it, regularly checking the bolts (old problem, many reported them becoming loose over time, some loctite works for me) or getting a steel insert pressed into the existing hole. A steel insert should take care of the problem, though
    break that ironhorse, he he...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've had similar problems on my old IH Hollowpoint. Replacing the bearings, or in some cases, simply overhauling them (replace old grease with new grease) would often help.

If the creaking is due to some slop or play between the pivot axle and the other surfaces, you could try using a retaining compound.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone have the specs (size, type, etc) on the cartridge bearings for an 08 IH MKIII? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuitbiker View Post
    Anyone have the specs (size, type, etc) on the cartridge bearings for an 08 IH MKIII? Thanks.
    kapusta posted the MkIII bearing specs here.

Note too that Enduro Fork Seals sells Iron Horse bearing kits.