mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2008 Iron Horse Warrior 5.0 from RS Size ???

Looking at a 2008 Iron Horse Warrior 5.0 from RS. I'm 5'7'', what size do you guys think would be a good fit?

Have a really old (1995 Stumpjumper) that is a 17". Looking to replace the stumpy as after 10 years of storage it in need of some serious work. Standovr on this is OK, after riding some new bike locally the stumpy feels a bit 'long' but that could be due to my now much larger gut.

(any bike name brands have similair sizes/angles I could use as reference)

thanks all

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    anyone?

Zero Miles from Myself
    OK, you are kinda between sizes, but not too much so. You are between a Small 15" and Medium 17". I looked at the geometry of this bike and do not know if the seat tubeis measured center to center, or center to top, (08 giant Trances measure like the latter). The Iron horse site says the 15" is for a max rider hight of 5' 5" / the 17" for a max rider of 5' 10"

So it kind of depends on where they measure the seat tube and then what kind of bike you like. If you like a short wheel base, flickable bike (say you come from a BMX background) then the small May work .... BUT ... you may need a longer seat post to get full leg extention and may want a slightly longer stem. They note it is for a person 2" shorter than you.

If OTOH, you like a more stretched out XT feel to a bike (more like your stumpjumper), the the 17" medium is for you.

The top tubes on these Iron Horses look like they run a bit small to other manufactures (15" = 21.5" and the 17"=22.5). Usually the top tube is about 1/2 to and 1" longer. I am 5' 8.5" and just got a Giant Trance 2 Small 16", but I like a smaller bike and the top tube is 22" effective. Fits me great for how I like a bike, but did have to get a longer seat post. Still undecided about a stem. Stock is 90mm, rode a 110mm tonight (too long) and will probably settle on a 100mm stem for it. Most people would say this 16" bike is too small for me .... but I like it !!

For you , and looking at the Iron Horse site, I think a 17" (cause they look to run smaller than most) would fit you perfect.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    mrm1...great advice...thank you
    think I like the more streched...only thing I know.
    on a side note measured myself last night and i'm now 5'6'', think I may have shrunk in the last 10 years. All the extra weight I've put on is pulling me down.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Great then. Even at 5'6" you are still in the 17" for this bike. Yes you could do a small 15" like I did with the Giant Trance 2, but you sound like you would like the feel of the 17. I'd so go for it.

But as always, if you can get in some test rides on both first, that is where the rubber will met the road. All the specs in the world cannot make up for a test ride.

As I noted, the T2 is "too small" for me, but as of yesterday I am in love. I was flicking my way around the tight stuff like never before. And my speed has Not suffered, in fact the opposit is true. But buying it was a risk, at least on paper.

Happy trails.

Weekend Warrior
    I think you should look at a small one rather than medium. My neighbor just got a Hardrock in Small and he is 5.7" and it's a perfect fit. However, depending on how IH sets up their frames i would just go ahead and ride and feel it.

I noticed that on a Giant I have to go a size bigger than on Specialized. I'm 5.10" so I'm right in between a Medium and a Large with most manufacturers. Even though Giants large is 20" and Specializeds large is 19". It's weird.

Hey MRM1, long time. I've been everywhere and nowhere. I think it's been almost 6 months since I was on here last. But now I'm back. We gotta go ride again, I haven't done Santos in a while.

mtbr member
    I have a Northface Denali which is an Iron Horse Warrior as well as a Friend of mine bought the 5.0 last year and I assembled. They seem to have a normal stand over height for the frame size but feel a little short length wise. I'm 5' 10" as well as my friend and it fits just fine. I'd say a medium as you could always lower the bars and shorten the stem if need be.