mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Iron Horse 7 point 7 Shock Sizing

I just bought a 7 point 7 and it came with a 5th element rear shock. It will work fine for now, but I know I'm going to want to upgrade in the future. Does anyone know what the sizing for the rear shock is? I've heard 8.75 x 2.75, what about stroke length?
    Last edited by dutch23; 10-05-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by dutch23 View Post
    I just bought an 08 7 point 7 and it came with a 5th element rear shock. It will work fine for know, but I know I'm going to want to upgrade in the future. Does anyone know what the sizing for the rear shock is? I've heard 8.75 x 2.75, what about stroke length?
    Stroke length is now standard on coil shock... Unless exceptions, since my X-Fusion Glyde RL on my 2006 Yakuza is 9x2.25... I want to upgrade to a 8.75/9.00 x 2.75/3.00 when I get a good deal... But I got to check if that stroke will be safe with the rear tire clearing the seat tube...

I'm looking toward X-Fusion Vector coil shock series... But I might switch frame for a AM instead of a FR...

I've found a Fox DHX 5.0, 9x2.00 on eBay 2 weeks ago, for less then $200 new, but even if it was the perfect length, having only 2" of stroke kinda disgusted me... And it came with a 350x2.8 spring... First I thought he ****ed up the listing, but a closer look to the pic show it couldn't have a bigger stroke then ~2"... so I was sad. But, time will come...

If you wanna get a new shock, I think the X-Fusion Vector coil is lot more attractive then a Fox Van RC or DHX RC4, since the Vector has all the adjustments of the DHX, plus a better price tag, due to X-Fusion manufacturing Fox's parts... And look good too.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Yes, that is the right size shock for the 7point, 8.75" x 2.75" (2.75" is the stroke length).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z View Post
    Yes, that is the right size shock for the 7point, 8.75" x 2.75" (2.75" is the stroke length).
    Thanks, thats exactly what I needed.

mtbr member
    FWIW Avalanche can gut that 5th and turn it into one of the best shocks you'll ever ride for that bike (been there, done that).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just wanted to say that DW himself mentioned that you can run also run an 8.5x2.5 shock on a 7point with no problems, and get a slacker head angle plus lower bottom bracket while losing a little travel, if you're into that sort of thing. I've been wanting to do it for a while to my 7p but haven't got around to it.

Also +1 for Avalanche tuning, getting your rear shock setup specifically for the DW link makes a huge difference, be it PUSH or Craig@Avy or whoever. Plus it will be cheaper than a whole new shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The shock is a 5th element 2-way, so unfortunately I can not get it tuned by Avalanche or PUSH. So I will probably end up buying a new shock in the end.

Few more questions. Is the bottom bracket 83mm? I heard it was but I want to double check before ordering one. And is there anywhere I can get new DU bushings for the shock? They are a bit worn out and I would like to replace them but I can't really find any information on them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dutch23 View Post
    The shock is a 5th element 2-way, so unfortunately I can not get it tuned by Avalanche or PUSH. So I will probably end up buying a new shock in the end.

Few more questions. Is the bottom bracket 83mm? I heard it was but I want to double check before ordering one. And is there anywhere I can get new DU bushings for the shock? They are a bit worn out and I would like to replace them but I can't really find any information on them.
    2 way? Didn't know they existed. Craig can still do a 3-way with speed sensitive damping tho you won't have the hi-lo adjust for only $157.

BB is 83mm. I suggest Enduro's Iron Horse shock needle bearing kit to replace the upper bushing - way too much rotational force there for DU bushings to last any amount of time. Bottom bushing should be fine, if not, any LBS should have them.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    2 way? Didn't know they existed. Craig can still do a 3-way with speed sensitive damping tho you won't have the hi-lo adjust for only $157.

BB is 83mm. I suggest Enduro's Iron Horse shock needle bearing kit to replace the upper bushing - way too much rotational force there for DU bushings to last any amount of time. Bottom bushing should be fine, if not, any LBS should have them.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Yeah it isn't a 3-way, if it was I would probably get it tuned, so I'm planning on getting a new shock later on. I also just learned that the frame is an 05, not an 08, like I was told. So I'm not sure if the needle bearings will work because the website says that it is for bikes 07 or newer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone know the size of the bushings for the shock on an 05 7 point?