mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2006 warrior ds rattling suspension

I have a warrior that has been a great bike. The only issue I have had is the rear shock has a really bad knock. I have replaced the bushings that go in the shock and the spacers that go over the pins through the shock and it is still just as bad. I think the pins themselves are worn out. Does anyone know how to order the bolts that hold it together or another solution to the problem?

banned
    You are going to need to do alot of things, minor things, to get a tight-feeling suspension again.

Check for wear of the mounting tabs on the frame. Likely, due to neglect, there will be compression-wear. The energy this loose-shock had had to go somewhere, and it wore half-moon compressions into these frame tabs.
    Check your SwingArm (back-half) shock mount also for this same pattern.

If wear is present, clean off with a small, fine handfile any raised material -- that's it. Don't cut-down the surface until it is smooth ! You will never get the two to meet.

If what you are calling 'pins', they are only shock mounting hardware/bolts, are suffering from another type of compression wear, they will have to be replaced. But, provided there are no surface-related interfaces (beveled Bolts, tapered sides) you may get the same bolt, with the same amount of thread/non-thread in the grip-length. Any competent Hardware Store should be able to get you nearly the same size and a matching teflon Nut.

What is holding your shock in place is the binding of these parts between the swingarm & frame mounts. With the potential for wear on these, get your exact replacement rubber bushings that are on the spacers you said you replaced, and double them; only if you have wear however. Otherwise you will bind the ability of the Shock to rotate as it travels.

You could find machine-washers to fill this gap, but the Spacer-Bushings are more readily availible.
    If this vauge play on the rear suspension does not go away, and you tried thin metal washers, your frame is run-out and would either have to be filled w/ weld, and smoothed (a weak-link due all the load) or 'faced' with alot of good intentions and a handful of washers to factor into how much material is taken away.

Any of these options is going to be a patch on an old suit, so I'd save for a new frame or bike and take all the preventative care to it.

Best advice if you get a DW-Link Bike -- lower Link bearings will ride much better if you manually rotate them about a quarter-turn after a good ride. As they do not have the typical workload of a Bearing, only allowing the links to move from a fixed point to a fixed point on an Axis, they will develope wear-patterns. I'll do this after a ride. Repeating this process will put all the inner and outer bearing races into use, and provide a better dynamic-usage even if you have to interfere with hand-tools.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Same problem -- what bushings?

Quote Originally Posted by runctrack View Post
    I have a warrior that has been a great bike. The only issue I have had is the rear shock has a really bad knock. I have replaced the bushings that go in the shock and the spacers that go over the pins through the shock and it is still just as bad.
    I'm having the same problem with the same bike -- my LBS said the whole bushing set needs to be replaced (both the shock and the bottom piece too) but I'm not exactly sure what pieces I need to order. The LBS said they can't order them and I'm trying to figure out where I order them from, or at least the specs on what I need to order. (My self-repair skills are fairly limited.)

Where did you get the replacement parts / what did you order?