mtbr member
    Oct 2005

2006 Iron Horse Azure World Cup Team Mountain Bike

Does anyone have one of these? Just wondering how they ride. It would be for racing and I want something really light and great for climbing. Does anyone know what the weight might be?
    Thanks
    Mrazek Hardtail
    Giant TCR® COMPOSITE 1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog1248
    Does anyone have one of these? Just wondering how they ride. It would be for racing and I want something really light and great for climbing. Does anyone know what the weight might be?
    Thanks
    I don't own one but this is one of my dream bikes. The World Cup parts specification is out of this world.

From a strictly weight perspective the Azures are heavier than the chi-chi XC frames like the Blur XC, Specialized high end XC bikes or the Racer X. From an older thread:"A Blur XC (15") weighs in at 5.2 lbs with shock. An Azure (15") weighs 5.98 lbs with shock." estimation of the WC overall weight is probably 25.5lbs+. With even more weight weenism (and some serious cash) you could get it below 23lbs.

I am a confirmed weight weenie but one of the few things that trumps weight is the DW-link. My 2004 Hollowpoint is one of the most amazing climbing bikes I've ridden (at 27lbs.) The assumption is the Azure is even better as it has been designed specifically for XC/aggressive XC.

You need to assess your priorities and determine if a difference in weight of 0.8-1lbs is more important than the function of the suspension. Cause the DW-link goes UP and DOWN very very well.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for great insight and info. I want a sub 26 lb. full suspension bike and have been looking at the Blur XC for the past 6 months but don't like the rider weight limit of 185 even though I'm 175lbs. Right now my HT weighs in at 22.5 lbs. and have always liked the light bikes because I'm a climber. I want a bike that is quick thru single track. Plus I think I can get the Azure World Cup team bike for under $3300 which would be a very good deal.
    Mrazek Hardtail
    Giant TCR® COMPOSITE 1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for great insight and info. I want a sub 26 lb. full suspension bike and have been looking at the Blur XC for the past 6 months but don't like the rider weight limit of 185 even though I'm 175lbs. Right now my HT weighs in at 22.5 lbs. and have always liked the light bikes because I'm a climber. I want a bike that is quick thru single track. Plus I think I can get the Azure World Cup team bike for under $3300 which would be a very good deal.

When pinged about the higher weight of the Azure compared to other pure XC frames, DW said that bike was designed for XC and Enduro type riding. I didn't know there was a weight limit on the Blur XC. That would be a red flag to me at your weight. Add a big water pack tools, clothes, tools, and other gear and you're pushing it.

My plan is to get the much cheaper Azure Comp and part it all out and rebuild piece by piece. My HP is around 27lbs so my hope is to build up a sub 26lb Azure.

Note that the head tube of the Azure is 70.5 and designed around a 100mm fork. It isn't going to a super super quick singletracker like a 71.5/80mm hardtail. But it will hold more speed through the corners and with a little adjustment in riding style you'll be able to get it to initiate into the corners fine. That was a transition I had to make with my HP but I love it now.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not sure how the different geometry's affect handling but here is what my HT has. Do you think I will notice a huge difference in handling just based on the different dimensions?

Wheelbase : 42.5
    TT : 23.1
    BB HT : 11.7
    Angles : 70/73
    Chainstay : 16.6
    standover : 30
    Head Tube : 5.25

Azure specs.

Wheelbase : 42.8"
    TT : 23.5
    BB HT : 12.8
    Angles : 70.5/73
    Chainstay : 16.85
    Mrazek Hardtail
    Giant TCR® COMPOSITE 1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not sure how the different geometry's affect handling but here is what my HT has. Do you think I will notice a huge difference in handling just based on the different dimensions?

Wheelbase : 42.5
    TT : 23.1
    BB HT : 11.7
    Angles : 70/73
    Chainstay : 16.6
    standover : 30
    Head Tube : 5.25

Azure specs.

Wheelbase : 42.8"
    TT : 23.5
    BB HT : 12.8
    Angles : 70.5/73
    Chainstay : 16.85
    I'm not qualified to say. But I think the Azure is a really good choice for your intended purpose. And the World cup part's spec is a good combination of light weight w/o sacrificing all the durability.
    My training BLOG

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I ordered the bike Saturday morning. I couldn't pass up $3386.00 w/tax for that bike.
    Mrazek Hardtail
    Giant TCR® COMPOSITE 1