mtbr member
    Dec 2006

2006 Hollowpoint MKIII Comp vs. Sport

Alright so I'm thinking about one of these two bikes...and I can get a real steal of a deal on the sport. The things that concern me

The sport has the same rear shock as the comp, but the frame appears slightly different. What is the deal with that and does it affect strength. I don't mind the lower components on the sport because for the price difference I have I can swap everything out plus some.

Basically is the frame as strong, and how do the two front shocks compare?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    Alright so I'm thinking about one of these two bikes...and I can get a real steal of a deal on the sport. The things that concern me

The sport has the same rear shock as the comp, but the frame appears slightly different. What is the deal with that and does it affect strength. I don't mind the lower components on the sport because for the price difference I have I can swap everything out plus some.

Basically is the frame as strong, and how do the two front shocks compare?
    The frame appearance difference you are seeing is one is probably a small compared to a large. No difference at all in the strength of either frame.

I have no experience with either of the shocks. The Pike on the Expert model is highly regarded though and has additional 10mm or 20mm travel comparatively.

mtbr member
    frames are the same. Go for it if you get a sweet dealeo!
    Last edited by _hamilton; 02-09-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Black Lion
    Go get yourself a Sport and save some cake.

Frames are 100 percent identical (except for size differences) across the board.

Greg
    Voltron

Capricious youth...
    Yep. Same frame.

mtbr member
    hold on there
    i have seen sports going for more than comps
    if randall scott still has the $1100 comp i would go for that over the sport.
    better fork, hydraulic brakes, much better build quality

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    They don't have the size I need for the comp, so I'm stuck with the sport at my local shop for right at $1000 (the comp is $1500). I feel like the brakes are lacking, and I'm a little concerned with the fork. I heard you can change out the coils if you don't like them.

I will be doing mostly AM riding with 4-5 foot drops to flats max. Will this bike be able to handle it.

mtbr member
    i think that too much abuse for that fork. that is a lot for the frame too but it should handle it depending on your weight.