KFC
    mtbr member

2005 Warrior rear shock size?

Like the title says, what size is the shock on the 2005 Warrior? Eye to eye and stroke? Thanks

GAME ON!
    7.5 x 2

Nor Cal
    Sep 2005
    I know this is an older thread. but curious to know if it's possible to upgrade the rear shock for longer travel?

banned
    Nov 2011
    Unfortunately not. The rear triangle or swing arm is a one size thing, and even if it wasn't, it would be extremely hard to find a replacement triangle for this bike. You would have to change your shock mounts.

IH aftermarket parts are extremely hard to come by unless it was a 7Point, Yakuza, or Sunday. Those seem to be a bit easier to find.
    Last edited by Bonsai-CP; 01-23-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Nor Cal
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the input. do you know how much travel does it have? I don't know much about dimensions/ travel, etc. Thanks

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocache83 View Post
    Thanks for the input. do you know how much travel does it have? I don't know much about dimensions/ travel, etc. Thanks
    It should be 5" rear travel, but this depends on the model, but chances it is just 5' rear travel for that year. That is a great all around travel, especially for AM discipline riding.

banned
    Nov 2011
    The eye to eye (eyelet to eyelet) dimensions is just the length between the shock eyelet on the frame and the shock eyelet on the rear swing arm. The travel is just the distance the shock will allow the rear swing arm or fork to travel until it reaches it's bottoming out point. Normally their is a bumper to allow the shock from bottoming out.

Nor Cal
    Sep 2005
    thanks for the input bonsai! =) will it be able to take some jumps? not big ones of course

banned
    Nov 2011
    thanks for the input bonsai! =) will it be able to take some jumps? not big ones of course
    I do not see why it could not handle some light freeridng. Smaller DJ's, and drops are fine for that, but I would not push it with bigger drops, like 5' plus.

I have the IH Aniki (6" fork to 7" rear travel) and throw that off 12' ledge drops, but it is a FR discipline bike though, unlike the Warrior is a AM discipline bike, though I have seen people from time to time on the Warrior 6 Pro doing the same, but those are 7" travel bikes as well.

I have my IH Yakuza K (8" all around travel) for all that, and also my IH Yakuza Gashira (big hit HT).

As long as you do not go big, you will be fine bro!! If ya going to shred the DJ's, you may want to stiffen up that rear shock and fork a bit to make it feel like a HT. DJ's and plush suspension just do not jive...

banned
    Nov 2011
    I just saw the pic of your IH Warrior in another thread of yours, and it is definitely from what I see is 5" rear travel. I have several friends that own or had several different models of the IH Warrior, and one of them was the same model as you have.

Nor Cal
    Sep 2005
    is the shock still a 7.5x2

banned
    Nov 2011
    Just measure from the center of the eyelet hole where the rear shock attaches to the bracket on the frame to the center of the eyelet hole where the rear shock attaches to the swing arm bracket. The total measurement is the shock length and to get your stroke, measure the total length of the stanchion (push rod) coming out of the shock body itself. By looking at your picture of your bike, it definitely looks like a 7.5" length w/ 2" stroke.

Give it a measure and tell me what ya got.

Nor Cal
    Sep 2005
    just measured, it's a 7.5 x 2.0... were the warrior pros built a little different to get more travel?

banned
    Nov 2011
    just measured, it's a 7.5 x 2.0... were the warrior pros built a little different to get more travel?
    Most likely a higher upper shock eyelet bracket and I believe the swing arm bottom shock eyelet bracket is positioned differently than yours.

If you are trying to get more travel, then you will have to sell that steed and purchase one with a longer travel ratio. You are not going to get more travel out of that design. Well, unless you are a great designer & welder, then yes...

It's geo was designed for 5" travel suspension. If you need a bigger travel FR bike, then step up to the Aniki or the Warrior 6 Pro.

Nor Cal
    Sep 2005
    all this bike talk wants me to get another bike. lol

5" travel i good enough for me. i don't plan on going off of cliffs and big drops.

oh yea, the bike i got off of ebay. well i emailed the guy and complained about it. he was nice enough to give me some of my money back. also, on my bike, i didn't put all my sram x9 components on because some of the parts were still good. what i added was: new 9speed cassette, new saddle, shimano slx crankset, avid bb7 disc brakes, and new cables.

also, if i decide on getting another bike (so my friends could ride with me), i was thinking of a 07' yakuza ojiki. what do you think? some guy is selling for 1 for $600. is that a good deal?

thanks for all your help bonsai

banned
    Nov 2011
    all this bike talk wants me to get another bike. lol

5" travel i good enough for me. i don't plan on going off of cliffs and big drops.

oh yea, the bike i got off of ebay. well i emailed the guy and complained about it. he was nice enough to give me some of my money back. also, on my bike, i didn't put all my sram x9 components on because some of the parts were still good. what i added was: new 9speed cassette, new saddle, shimano slx crankset, avid bb7 disc brakes, and new cables.

also, if i decide on getting another bike (so my friends could ride with me), i was thinking of a 07' yakuza ojiki. what do you think? some guy is selling for 1 for $600. is that a good deal?

thanks for all your help bonsai
    Anytime bro!

LOL, yeah, I know what ya mean, but you are all good with that steed.

Man that is good that you did get some coin back, that is a very rare thing I must say.

Well, the IH Yakuza Ojiki is the same thing as the Aniki. Was the brother of the Aniki, but was sold primarily over seas, whereas the Aniki was primarily sold in the USA. Personally, I like the look and feel of the Ojiki over the Aniki, though both are 7" travel FR bikes that you can also DH on as well, as long as it is not really gnarly DH that 8" to 9" travel DH bikes hook up on. It is a good bike, and the weight difference is somewhat moot compared to your Warrior. Though it weighs in a couple more pounds due to its more beefy suspension and frame. Those frames are near bomb proof by far, and the headtube is a beefy 1.5" headtube over the standard 1-1/8th. A frame designed for serious abuse. I have hucked my Aniki off a 24' ledge drop and smaller.

If jumping is what you want and handle some AM, then yeah man, but as an XC bike, just may not be your ticket bro. Too beefy and too heavy for that XC riding. The Aniki and Ojiki are progressively designed bikes to fit a aggressive riding style, rocking out at your favorite bike park, nailing that drop-in at your local freeride spot, going big deep in the woods, aggressive trail riding, or even a little street or park action.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had an 05 Warrior Pro( F'ing bike thieves) and ran a 7.875x2.25 shock. I used a set of off-set bushings, and had no problems. Shock fully compressed left nearly 1/4 inch clearance between the tire and seat tube. The older W-six,and later the Sachem were basically the same frame with the mount moved to accept the longer shock. I used some similar to these
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Offset-Shock...-/300611150162
    you need 2 sets, one for each end to get the correct off-set for that shock size.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpeteinsc View Post
    I had an 05 Warrior Pro( F'ing bike thieves) and ran a 7.875x2.25 shock. I used a set of off-set bushings, and had no problems. Shock fully compressed left nearly 1/4 inch clearance between the tire and seat tube. The older W-six,and later the Sachem were basically the same frame with the mount moved to accept the longer shock. I used some similar to these
    Offset Shock bushings | Mounting Hardware | Mount kit | All frames | Proshox | eBay
    you need 2 sets, one for each end to get the correct off-set for that shock size.
    Not debating you or doubting you, but I can't see that minute offset giving 1/4" both directions. Anyways, that's putting undue stress on the shock eyelet mounts which in turn puts undue stress on the frame.

It's better to stick with the manufactures dimensions, though I can see these offset's helping a bit with a shock eyelet to eyelet being a bit off or odd size eyelet to eyelet shocks. Anyways, good info one way or another.