mtbr member

2005 Iron Horse MK3 Rear Triangle

So,

I am about to take my rear triangle to a welding shop and have it welded.

At first, I only thought I had the one crack, but when I got it off the bike and more cleaned up, I noticed two more.

I have a plan for welding dude to reinforce it after the welds, likely it will consist of an extra piece of aluminum that will join the lower piece that the lowest most bearings are with the two upper pieces that go up on either side of the tire and make just one large, likely bowed rectangle of aluminum that is around three inches wide and about 4 to 5 inches tall.

My max cost for this is about 200 dollars, keep in mind that I showed the shop the pics of the first crack and with reinforcement added, he quoted 80 to 150$, if it costs more than that, I will likely just part out the bike as it has less than one year on the front and rear suspension.

I'm curious as to the success of this kind of work in this bike, I have heard mixed reports stating from "don't waste your money" to "I had mine welded and it has lasted for three years so far"

I have bought a 2011 Spec Enduro once I noticed the initial crack, so this will be either a backup, spare bike or I will sell it as a complete bike if the welding job is successful.

What do you think???

Attached is pics if the three cracks.

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005 Iron Horse MK3 Rear Triangle-imag0897.jpg  

2005 Iron Horse MK3 Rear Triangle-imag0896.jpg  

2005 Iron Horse MK3 Rear Triangle-imag0895.jpg  

26 for life.
    Here's mine. Lasted another 18 months until i retired it.

Cost a bit, but was worth it at the time.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn View Post
    Here's mine. Lasted another 18 months until i retired it.

Cost a bit, but was worth it at the time.
    Damn, that looks nice, how much did shop charge for that? did it crack again or did your just upgrade your ride?

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

26 for life.
    Cost about $400Au. Still going strong, there's a lot more metal in the swingarm now. There's a plate a cross the front of the swingarm as well.
    Got a Yeti SB66 a month ago. Going to let the old girl go. New bearings in the back end too, so it's riding really sweet.
    Great bike the MkIII.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    OK, dropped off the rear triangle to the shop yesterday cant wait to see what dude does with it!

I will show pics and the cost when I get it back, but he said it would likely be between 80$ and 150$.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I sold my 2008 IH MKIII a month ago to a buddy, this is how he dealt wit the rear triangule crack:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005 Iron Horse MK3 Rear Triangle-p1000038.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow, I dig that color, so if you don't mind me asking, how much did you sell it for?

I'm going to likely sell mine after it is repaired and I am curious what I can get for it. It has a 8 month old RS Sector rl on the front and a 10 month old Fox float RL on the back.

With the brand new DT swiss rims on it as well that came with my 2011 enduro.

I have really loved the bike for the 3 years that I have had it, one of the best climbing all mountain rigs out there.

Thanks,

Jeff

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It is the entry level Trail version with all the stock parts. I was upfront with the cracks and sold it for $400 to a friend.

The bike had been gathering dust and rust in the garage for a while...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerkmxl View Post
    It is the entry level Trail version with all the stock parts. I was upfront with the cracks and sold it for $400 to a friend.

The bike had been gathering dust and rust in the garage for a while...
    Ok, cool, thanks for the information.

Jeff

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

mtbr remember
    interesting thread.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI View Post
    interesting thread.
    My bike is fixed and I am currently using it as a spare bike for my buddy's to use until I get off my ass to sell it.