mtbr member
    Aug 2004

2005 "Backcountry" Offering from Ironhorse?

Hi there, just wondering if you guys have the scoop on whether Ironhorse will be offering a "backcountry" dual suspension a la Kona Dawg this year. I am a rider who enjoys aggressive xc, and although I won't go way off trail to look for jumps or drops, I dont want to shy away from them either. Kona's Dawg platform seems to fit me to a T, but I would rather support Ironhorse (plus I can order from them ).

Let me know if anyone has any info, thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sport_Chek
    Hi there, just wondering if you guys have the scoop on whether Ironhorse will be offering a "backcountry" dual suspension a la Kona Dawg this year. I am a rider who enjoys aggressive xc, and although I won't go way off trail to look for jumps or drops, I dont want to shy away from them either. Kona's Dawg platform seems to fit me to a T, but I would rather support Ironhorse (plus I can order from them ).

Let me know if anyone has any info, thanks.

The answer is probably yes as they had one last year. the 04 bike can be viewed here..

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/produc...il/index.shtml

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    does everyone else consider the hollowpoint series durable enough to take smaller hits and drops? I figured I would blow out the rear shock on one if I tried that kinda stuff on a hollowpoint.

mtbr member
    does everyone else consider the hollowpoint series durable enough to take smaller hits and drops? I figured I would blow out the rear shock on one if I tried that kinda stuff on a hollowpoint.
    Well The Kona Dawg has an air shock too,and it's basically an all-round trail bike. If drops are your thing neither of these bikes are the right choice. But If you're looking for an "all mountain-bike" both are great choices. Personally I'd lean towards the Iron Horse. The whole DW link thing really seems to work, plus they are a little more unique then the hordes of Turner clones out there.

Industry Loudmouth
    As far as the 04 bikes, the Hollowpoint is considered a 'trail bike' meaning it is for heavier duty riding than an XC race bike. Longer travel, heavier duty components, fatter tires, etc. I wouldn't classify the Hollowpoint as a huck/jump bike. If you are doing big drops or stunts the HP isn't the correct tool for the job. That's territory for an SGS.

MY05 will see the introduction of the Mk III Hollowpoint frame. It is a dw-link design w/ 5" travel and totally redesigned from the ground up. The Expert and Team spec models will come w/ thru axle forks (one w/ a Pike, one w/ a Nixon). The Mk III is a little more oriented to burlier trail riding than the 04 bikes. They will still haul on the ups but can take some bigger hits on the way down. With the new frames and 05 components weights for the bikes should be approx the same as 05 even with the added travel, etc.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Dropping definately isn't my "thing", but I don't want to have to shy away from anything on the trail. I had in my head that the HP was a strict x-country bike only. I guess I will order a HP expert next year then!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    As far as the 04 bikes, the Hollowpoint is considered a 'trail bike' meaning it is for heavier duty riding than an XC race bike. Longer travel, heavier duty components, fatter tires, etc. I wouldn't classify the Hollowpoint as a huck/jump bike. If you are doing big drops or stunts the HP isn't the correct tool for the job. That's territory for an SGS.

MY05 will see the introduction of the Mk III Hollowpoint frame. It is a dw-link design w/ 5" travel and totally redesigned from the ground up. The Expert and Team spec models will come w/ thru axle forks (one w/ a Pike, one w/ a Nixon). The Mk III is a little more oriented to burlier trail riding than the 04 bikes. They will still haul on the ups but can take some bigger hits on the way down. With the new frames and 05 components weights for the bikes should be approx the same as 05 even with the added travel, etc.

-ska todd

WOW awesome! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!! I will definately be ordering one of these as soon as they are available to us!!

Industry Loudmouth
    WOW awesome! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for!! I will definately be ordering one of these as soon as they are available to us!!
    Look for them around Nov/Dec.

-ska todd