mtbr member
    Jul 2004

2004 Hollow-point Expert rear derailleur

Just curious if anyone has had problems with an 2004 hollow-point derailleur hanger constantly bending. I consider my self a pretty good rider, and the 04 Hollow-point holds pretty well, except for the rear derailleur hanger. Just for a brief time frame back round, I road the bike 2 months in 2004, 2 months in 2005, and 4 months in 2006. My LBS bike probably swapped out the rear hanger at least a 12 times, and straightened it close to 50, no joke. Almost every ride ends up with a bent hanger ! If i fall once chances are the hangers bent. If i climb a hill and lose traction and me rear end slips, bent hanger. If i use to much torque climbing, guess what? bent hanger. My buddy said it best, "Your bike is as good as your weakest part, and if your hanger bends like butter, all the flash I have on the bike is worthless, if you can't get through a ride better then riding Walmart special" My LBS says they are going to swap out the frame for a 2006 MK 3 frame, if they get the OK from there corporate office, because they believe that the constant bending of the rear hanger is unacceptable in a bike designed to be a "mountain bike". Plus replacing it with an 2004 frame, which probably is not in stock, will cause the same problem. We will See what happens, if they can't swap out the frame, i am going to have to get a new bike, because this is getting ridiculous. Today It actually bent twice in one day! Things are not looking good in my faith in Iron Horse bikes; fellow riders 2003 Hollow-point frames cracking, MY 2004 Hollow-point rear derailleur bending like butter, fellow riders 2005/2006 rear flex. I have a feeling replacing the frame with a newer model might be going from one problem to another.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just to add:

In the few times I have rode in groups, my fellow riders have had massive crashes right before my eyes, and no problem. Me, i would barely have the bike touch the ground, and my rear derailleur is in the spokes. That's probably the most frustrating thing about the whole issue; watching guys with half the experience then you, half the quality of bike then you, wipe out 10x worse then you, and there able to finish the ride, while i am carrying the bike over my shoulders to the car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have the same bike and have never had that problem but I have not fallen to what I consider hard. My neffew crashed it pretty hard trying ot take it off a 3-4 foot drop and the only thing that was wrong with the rim went out of true but the rest of the bike was fine. Maybe it's a manufacture defect,don't know but I would say any metal that gets bent and then gets bent back into shape often enough weakens the metal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've put a lot of miles on my 2004 Hollowpoint and have had very few problems with the derailleur hanger. I realigned the original hanger once or twice before breaking it in Moab. That was roughly a year and a half of use out of that hanger. The replacement hanger hasn't given me any trouble at all.

You might want to consider getting a Hanger Banger if you continue to have problems with your derailleur hanger.

mtbr member

I went through a few...

I got a stick in the deraileur and bent one. Then I got a new deraileur and hanger and
    had the same thing happen. One more time and the chain snapped and trashed the hanger.
    So I went through 3 in a row in 3 rides.
    Since then, it has held up fine.
    I think mine was more a case of bad luck. The chain snapping was probably my fault.

Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
    I think there is alot of variation in the metal quality used in hangers. My stock one went in less than a month, the second in one more ride. I bought two more, really just to get the design from and made my own from aircraft alu. stock on a milling machine. This one that I made is still running strong after 2 years. I keep the others in my pack 'just in case'.
    My friend that rides a 2002 hollowpoint had to replace his about 6 months ago and has had no problem since.
    So, it might just be the 'bad batch' scenario. Try getting one from a different source and see if you have the same problem.

mtbr member
    No problems with mine had it 2 years now.Bent the hanger once when a stick went into the wheel and snapped the derailler(scram mid) bent it back no problems.

mtbjk
    03 frame cracked two of them but no derailure issue finally got the 04 frame and still running the same hanger 3 years now with only a minor tweak from getting a stick caught in the derailure , tweaked hanger back into place and no more issues still got two extra spares just incase but dont think i will need them for awhile. also had a few crashes and no problem with the hanger. I think you should check the derailur and cassette for any possible issues and also chain to make sure its the correct length and to assure its not pulling the deraillure and bending the hanger in wrong gear combos. but mine will run every gear combo without any issues small small to big big not that i run it that way but I have hit those combos before without any issues.

Ride On
    Jan R

Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan R
    03 frame cracked two of them but no derailure issue finally got the 04 frame and still running the same hanger 3 years now with only a minor tweak from getting a stick caught in the derailure , tweaked hanger back into place and no more issues still got two extra spares just incase but dont think i will need them for awhile. also had a few crashes and no problem with the hanger. I think you should check the derailur and cassette for any possible issues and also chain to make sure its the correct length and to assure its not pulling the deraillure and bending the hanger in wrong gear combos. but mine will run every gear combo without any issues small small to big big not that i run it that way but I have hit those combos before without any issues.

Ride On
    Jan R
    You have probably hit the proverbial nail on the head. One of the changes I made during the breakage, was getting the newer dual position linkages to put on my '03. Maybe the chain growth was too much in the old 5" travel single position linkages and being a full sus newbie, did not have enough chain slack to handle the travel. Now I always make sure I have enough chain to run in 3-1 when I have a brain fart in the middle of a race.