mtbr member
    Sep 2004

2003 Hollowpoint Purchasing Advice

Hey all! I'm new to this forum. I've been reading up on it while I waited to get activated and I must say that I'm really impressed with how Ska Todd and all the other reps are active participants in the forum! ANYWAYS, on to my question:
    I went to Performance Bike and I have an opportunity to get a 2003 Hollowpoint Sport for 700 bucks. This certain flavor has a Fox Vanilla R coil shock and the rear pivot thingie (mercy! I'm new at this!) looks rather different than the 2004 model.
    1. Is there a major difference in the design between the '03 and '04 models besides specs, and is it enough of a difference for me to just go ahead and purchase an '04 instead (I'm on a budget here)
    2. If I have the Vanilla R, do I have the earlier production version or the later one for the '03 year?
    3. If it's the earlier model, how can I go about changing out to the later year specs since I doubt the bike shop will do this at the price the bike is at.
    4. When I went to put the bike on layaway (while I researched the bike like I'm doing here) I noticed that there was fork oil coming out of the bottom of the Manitou Sport. They're replacing it supposedly, but I haven't gone to check on it. The guy that works there said it's a pretty low end fork... if that's the case, any recommendations on what fork to get? If I do get this bike, I'll probably end up getting new components piece by piece as the year goes by (just like most others do I'm sure) so any recommendations on component upgrades would be very helpful.
    5. Last but not least, should I suck it up and just hold out for the MK III and does anyone have ANY CLUE as to how much the lower end spec'd out one will be (ballpark anyone?)

Thank you to those who took the time to read my ramblings and all advice is greatly appreciated. This forum has convinced me that IH is the way to go, especially with the support everyone has around here!

Mario

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Can Anyone Help Me Please?!

OK Guys,
    It's been 5 days and no reply as of yet.... can someone please post to help out this confused individual I'm waiting on some responses from all you hollowpoint owners (and Ska Todd) so that I can make my purchasing decision. Thanks!

Industry Loudmouth
    Mario,

Sorry man! Missed your post! Lemme comment below for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by modee
    1. Is there a major difference in the design between the '03 and '04 models besides specs, and is it enough of a difference for me to just go ahead and purchase an '04 instead (I'm on a budget here)
    Suspension performance is identical from 03 to 04. The 04 frame has increased lateral stiffness and increased mud clearance.

2. If I have the Vanilla R, do I have the earlier production version or the later one for the '03 year?
    The Vanilla R was the later production (or those switched from a AD-5)

3. If it's the earlier model, how can I go about changing out to the later year specs since I doubt the bike shop will do this at the price the bike is at.
    You should be all good. Just check if the bike has 2 position linkage plates.

4. When I went to put the bike on layaway (while I researched the bike like I'm doing here) I noticed that there was fork oil coming out of the bottom of the Manitou Sport. They're replacing it supposedly, but I haven't gone to check on it. The guy that works there said it's a pretty low end fork... if that's the case, any recommendations on what fork to get?
    The oil is most likely M-Prep grease. It is a very fine grease and tends thinner with heat/use. Usually you just wipe it off and you are good to go. I don't think there have been any major probs w/ the Black Sport fork. It is a work horse fork. Not really lowend but not a high end fork either.

If I do get this bike, I'll probably end up getting new components piece by piece as the year goes by (just like most others do I'm sure) so any recommendations on component upgrades would be very helpful.
    If you plan to upgrade, it is probably more cost effective to drop coin on the 04 model.

5. Last but not least, should I suck it up and just hold out for the MK III and does anyone have ANY CLUE as to how much the lower end spec'd out one will be (ballpark anyone?)
    The Mk III Comp will be more than the Hollowpoint Sport. How much more has yet to be finalized. I'd expect it around the $2k range.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Ska Todd: You have mail

Todd,
    Thanks for the advice... sent one PM to you with a couple more questions. Thanks Again!

Industry Loudmouth
    Todd,
    Thanks for the advice... sent one PM to you with a couple more questions. Thanks Again!
    Cool Modee...I'll check my PM and respond back!

-ska todd