Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2 Iron Horse MKIII's....2 cracked rear triangles. What to do?

11K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  si618 
#1 ·
I am riding a 2006 MKIII sport and have been for about 2 years. At first I loved it so much that I convinced my buddy to grab one as well. Loved the bike, until last week. He loved his 2007, until last week.

He was cleaning things up and he noticed a crack on the right side of his rear triangle above the chainstay. A complete crack right above the weld. I thought it was a fluke, so I checked mine....a freaking 3/4 crack! Both frames cracked at the exact same spot....design flaw much?

I am confused as to were to go from here. I know my frame is no longer under warranty, but do they sell rear triangles? Should I even bother since it will likely crack at the same spot. Have they fixed the defect with the newer years?

Very frustrated right now....when the rage calms down enough for me to snap a pick I will.

#2 ·
There are numerous companies out there who repair frames-assuming yours can be fixed. Given the current situation you may have better luck going that route (cost and turn around time) anyway. I would expect that if you do go that route, that you'll have an area where the repair was done down to bare metal and it may look a little rough depending on the experience of the welder and where the frame is cracked. So while you're waiting for your swing arm to return, you can spend some time at Checker/Auto Zone matching cans of Krylon.

Take some up close digital photos, round up a box and some bubble wrap, do a search on Google and start inquiring.

Or you can sit tight and see what response RS Cycles, or whomever the new owners of IH might be, have to say about past warranty issues. Remember though that anyone who steps forward and picks up IH, which is supposedly bankrupt, probably won't have any legal obligation to cover your bike.

#6 ·
I just found this little gem on mine sunday night,...after reading about a cracked swingarm on this forum. Went to the cave to check my frame, and sure enough, a crack. Spoke with RS, and I am at their mercy. Although, I am kinda thinking I am screwed, so I am looking for a new frame. Something not IH.

Attachments

#7 ·
Change to a Giant Reign or Reign X, perhaps even a Glory...at least you assured quality and a life time warrenty with some of the best CS in the industry with usually a quick turn around time depending on the situation and parts available for various specific models as such.

Sorry to hear that everyones IH is cracking and falling apart...good luck trying to get your bikes replaced.

#12 ·
y0bailey said:
I am not giving up on it....I talked to someone who knows welding and they say it can be fixed relatively easily by a machine shop...basically just grind away and add in.
So long as they are a certified TIG welder and aren't cross-eyed, you'll be fine. I've had 2 friends who've gone this route and although not the cleanest fix aesthetically, both of their bikes are still going strong and their breaks were a lot worse and on a bigger section of swing arm than the photo above. Pinched/crimped downtubes, top tubes and seat tubes might be a different story.

I think both paid around $30 locally and had their frames fixed within a day or two.

Even under some of the best warranty situations, most consumers pay for shipping to the manufacturer and don't get their parts back for several weeks-if they're lucky. There are few exceptions to this situation, like Turner and Ibis, but most can't turn them quickly.

#17 ·
The part can be rewelded and re-heat-treated. Some gusset's can be added to the area also.
Find out where US made frames are heat treated and get them to run the repaired rear triangle. Then have it powder coated.

My buddy has to have his rear triangle repaired by Foes and they rewelded it and then had it heat treated and powder coated.

#20 ·
Found a TIG welder in the area who builds custom motorcycles....I think he can handle the job.

While taking apart the rear triangle I found another beauty of a crack...right side, front of chainstay. This thing is trying to make me buy a new frame. I am still going to weld her up and keep it running as a backup bike, but it is sad that it has come this far. I do ride this thing hard however, so I cannot fully complain.

Newly discovered crack

Older crack

#21 ·
That is definitely a recall issue...yet now that company has folded, you really have no other options as such. And this design has been brought over to another company in many respects with a slight Giant tweek in terms of aesthetics.

Bro, I really feel for you and the other chaps as I really would go ape-sh!t if I found flaws on my bike after casing various designs and chose one that decided to break apart under the riding conditions it was designed for.

the custom motor bike builder, did he say that he will bake the frame after the initial welding was complete...? I mean I am sure he will though, but it may be worth mentioning it just to be sure though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.