Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 63
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    847
    Let's just say I am now ordering a SC Heckler as we speak.
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    453
    Details? Not possible to weld? Heckler is on my short list along with the Giant Reign. Like the simplicity and supposed durability of the Heckler but do not know how it would peddle up hill. That was one of the things I liked about the DW link suspension, no bob.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sim2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,339
    It is possible to weld but it also needs to be heat treaded after the weld...not too sure who or how much it would be inyour area but, from what others are paying you may be in for about 30 up to 50$...? Situational based.

    Myself, after owning quite a few of the more boutique brands with their limited warrenty and far higher price tags with more lower end specs, I switched to Giant many years ago and I have not looked back. Although, that has never stopped me from buying other brands of course for various reasons.

    If I were you, I would go the reign and this years models really rocks in terms of what you get for the money you hand over as well as that sweet LFTWarrenty, not even mentioning its prowess up the mountain and smile factor down the mountian.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    847
    Welds just cracked in the exact same spot. Kinda figured it would happen, just wish it wasn't on ride 1.


    Chose the Heckler due to bomb-proofness and the ability to just get a frame. I have all other components needed. Giant won't sell just frames.

    Test rode a Heckler today...climbed like a goat.
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

  5. #30
    semantic blockage
    Reputation: omegamandb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    172
    Can those with cracked triangles describe your riding style, weight, how long your bike's been in service, etc. to give us an idea of the conditions which led to the failure?

    Due to the number of cases cropping up, I'd guess it's a wide range of riding styles, and ages of bikes, etc.. I'd like to (hopefully) gauge the likelihood that mine will fail as well ('07 Comp) - if that's possible. Wondering how widespread this problem is.

    Thanks

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    250
    Holy timing Batman, Iron Horse really got out at the right moment. Right after they leave it's like a chain reaction of bikes cracking. How come this didn't happen to the '07's earlier?

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    56
    Did you get a gusset welded in? Is it cracked in exectly the same spot? Is so the weld was dodgy.

    The rear triangle on the mkiii is asymmetrically loaded that would twist the rear end causing the cracking. I well placed gusset would sort it out.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    453
    Has anyone actually had theirs welded? Where should the gusset be placed? Should it be reinforced anywhere else? What is involved in the heat treating?

    The bearings in mine were toast. Probably from the rear triangle waffling around after it cracked.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sim2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,339
    ah...just hang it up as wall art and be done with it lol...RIP.


    YoBaily, when will the new rig come in...?

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    453
    If it can be fixed for <$100 why not fix it? The bike rides great and I can not afford a new frame now.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by gtdrew
    Has anyone actually had theirs welded? Where should the gusset be placed? Should it be reinforced anywhere else? What is involved in the heat treating?

    The bearings in mine were toast. Probably from the rear triangle waffling around after it cracked.
    No one has actually welded theirs. I feel their frustration but it seems like most just want to complain that it cracked and stare at IH's lifeless body.
    The rear triangle should be able to be repaired. It will just take some legwork to get in touch with a frame maker, repair shop that understands the alloy and can get the RT heat treated.
    Heat treating involves submerging the frame in a heated solution which improves the durability of the material.
    Is it necessary to heat treat? I am not sure but I did ride DH one day with a guy who was beating the crap out of his Intense M1. His rear chainstay had been broken and he had it rewelded and beefed up with gussets and no heat treat and it had been going strong for a long time.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    847
    I actually welded mine. I didn't add any extra metal to it. We filed out the crack and associated paint and re-welded. Cracked 1/2 through my first ride in the exact same spot. We did not re-heat treat or anything like that.

    The simple fact of the matter is that re-welding is a bandaid over a broken leg. Heat treated or not it won't fix it. It may buy you a ride or two (enough time to save up for a new frame).

    Here is the response from someone who knows their crap about welding
    "It will fail quicker if you try to weld it...better off just to ride it till it breaks. I've been a welder for around 24 years, everything from dirt modified chassis' to pharmaceutical grade stainless steel to the scoreboard/ tv screen at Five County Staduim. I am currently employed as an industrial welder for Hanson Aggregates, so what I am telling you about your frame isn't a offhanded guess, it is a fact."

    I loved my MKIII....I am sad to see it go. It was my first "real" bike. Now time to get a SC Heckler and never worry about it again. We will see if I miss having a DW-link bike....my guess is that I won't.
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    I actually welded mine. I didn't add any extra metal to it. We filed out the crack and associated paint and re-welded. Cracked 1/2 through my first ride in the exact same spot. We did not re-heat treat or anything like that.

    The simple fact of the matter is that re-welding is a bandaid over a broken leg. Heat treated or not it won't fix it. It may buy you a ride or two (enough time to save up for a new frame).

    Here is the response from someone who knows their crap about welding
    "It will fail quicker if you try to weld it...better off just to ride it till it breaks. I've been a welder for around 24 years, everything from dirt modified chassis' to pharmaceutical grade stainless steel to the scoreboard/ tv screen at Five County Staduim. I am currently employed as an industrial welder for Hanson Aggregates, so what I am telling you about your frame isn't a offhanded guess, it is a fact."

    I loved my MKIII....I am sad to see it go. It was my first "real" bike. Now time to get a SC Heckler and never worry about it again. We will see if I miss having a DW-link bike....my guess is that I won't.

    Sounds like you are throwing out the baby with the bath water. The rear triangle can be fixed. It was welded once and can be welded again. But it needs a proper welded gusset not a welding on the same weak spot. A plate of some sort needs to be welded over the area.
    I don't blame you for being over it. The frame is only worth~$300 anyway with IH finito for now. But a grind down and reweld is not the way to fix it properly.
    Oh and Never say never!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    847
    If you look at my above pics, pic 1 is in no position for a gusset. It is at a critical point where the wheel, the dw-link, and pretty much the back half of the bike staying together is at. I find it difficult to believe you would be able to fit a gusset there, let alone do a few drops knowing that your bike has a bandaid on it.

    As for the SC frames breaking....it happens. But that company will be in business for a long long time and their CS is amazing. That is why I chose them. I have emailed about 200 IH people and haven't gotten a single response...because surprise surprise they are out of business.

    Weld away people...I did, but don't complain when you ruin a nice wheelset or a leg due to something else failing.
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    If you look at my above pics, pic 1 is in no position for a gusset. It is at a critical point where the wheel, the dw-link, and pretty much the back half of the bike staying together is at. I find it difficult to believe you would be able to fit a gusset there, let alone do a few drops knowing that your bike has a bandaid on it.

    As for the SC frames breaking....it happens. But that company will be in business for a long long time and their CS is amazing. That is why I chose them. I have emailed about 200 IH people and haven't gotten a single response...because surprise surprise they are out of business.

    Weld away people...I did, but don't complain when you ruin a nice wheelset or a leg due to something else failing.

    Sorry Y0bailey, I thought that you had an 07 RT and it had cracked in the typical right side chainstay junction. That spot certainly is a candidate for a gusset plate. But the other area you show is definitely not.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    56
    Ill have a look at where I think I gusset should go into the frame. Maybe ill get a mechanical engineer to have a look at it as well. I can visualise the issue just need to work out where is the best place for a gusset to redistribute the load without putting too much stress on another area.

    Y0baily Which part re cracked? Did it crack in exactly the same spot? As in through the weld that has just been put in or just above in the fatigued metal? It should not have cracked through the weld. I am at work and can not see your pics, will have a look when I get home. The two cracks could also be related, once the first is there it could transfer the load to another spot that would deflect & crack.

    The usual crack in rear triangle can definitely be fixed. The crack is a fatigue issue, it does not snap in two and people still ride there bikes with the crack. This gives clues to the stresses in this area.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,215
    Did they fix this issue in the 08 models? Has anyone with an 08 had a frame crack? I have an 08 and I'm wondering how worried I should be.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  18. #43
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui'lan Fett
    Holy timing Batman, Iron Horse really got out at the right moment. Right after they leave it's like a chain reaction of bikes cracking. How come this didn't happen to the '07's earlier?
    seriously. It makes you wonder, doesn't it?

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    453
    My bike is an 08 frame. Exact same crack.

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sim2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,339
    OH....Boy!!!! Yikes....!

  21. #46
    EastBaySteez
    Reputation: Freerydejunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,729
    Im sorry to hear all this bad news guys.

    If any of you lived in the Bay Area I would gladly help you out. Know my way around TIG.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by gtdrew
    My bike is an 08 frame. Exact same crack.
    I thought this was only for 06 and 07's. Anyone else crack an 08?

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    24
    i have a 07 MKIII and after two seasons there is no crack!!!!

    Keep it real guys - you can break everything. Maybe it is a weak place of the MkIII but this does not mean that every single triangle will break!

  24. #49
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Im sorry to hear all this bad news guys.

    If any of you lived in the Bay Area I would gladly help you out. Know my way around TIG.
    Get a heat treat oven and you might be able to put away a nice chunk of change in the coming future.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Get a heat treat oven and you might be able to put away a nice chunk of change in the coming future.
    You can single handedly replace IH customer service! It won't take much!
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •