mtbr member
    Apr 2006

1x8 or 1x9 Azure build

I'm building up a new 2008 Azure frame for XC racing and am considering a 1x build. Reading thru the various post, I know that some people have built up their bikes this way. I'm just curious how it's worked out long term.
    Seems like a pretty good way to avoid FD clearance issues, and save a little weight.Has anyone got any info on this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    No one has any info , pro or con, on this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It helps to be able to change the chain line when climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That was what I was thinking, too. I've ran a 1x8 before, and it worked ok, but causes more wear on the cassette and chain. I've seen write ups where people were using a 1x9 set up to race xc, and was curious as to how it held up to racing. It'd be a drag to drive, enter, and then DNF due to a broken chain or cassette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Measure your BB width before you decide, mine was 70.5mm. I wouldn't have been able to run a bb mount chain device without some serious facing, or a poor chainline. I ran no spacers on the drive side of the bb.
    Otherwise, I often used my bike purely in the middle ring on one of our regular rides and didn't notice any problems. Certainly it pedals well enough even with a stand up and grunt pedalling style that it is well suited to 1x9.
    Were you thinking 1x8 with 8 cogs from a 9 speed cassette (11t removed and spacer behind 34) or old 8 speed stuff? Because I would struggle to find enough quality 8 speed stuff to suit racing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by weedkilla1
    Measure your BB width before you decide, mine was 70.5mm. I wouldn't have been able to run a bb mount chain device without some serious facing, or a poor chainline. I ran no spacers on the drive side of the bb.
    Otherwise, I often used my bike purely in the middle ring on one of our regular rides and didn't notice any problems. Certainly it pedals well enough even with a stand up and grunt pedalling style that it is well suited to 1x9.
    Were you thinking 1x8 with 8 cogs from a 9 speed cassette (11t removed and spacer behind 34) or old 8 speed stuff? Because I would struggle to find enough quality 8 speed stuff to suit racing.
    I've got a pretty good supply of 8 speed xt, and came into a nos xtr 8sp cassette recently. That's an option, but I also like the idea of having a 34t cog. Anyway, I'll probably try it both ways just for fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well then you are a lucky ******. 8 speed was the groupsets that were the happy medium of gear ratio spacing and driveline durability. The 34t is nice but it is offset by the constantly requiring adjustment, chain breaking, cog bending menace of 9 speed. I would go back to 8 speed in a heartbeat if I could find a supply of parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have been riding/racing 1x9 for 3 years without any problems. 2 years on a hard tail and now on a full suspension. My only advice would be to shorten the chain as much as possible.