mtbr member
    Dec 2008

160mm fork on 7 point

Anyone running a 160mm fork on their 7 point? I am thinking of picking one up to tighten up the head angle and save about a pound off the bike. Whats everyones opinion?

Bike is primarly used riding single track in MN and light dirt jumping every so often.

mtbr member
    My first 2005 7point came with a Manitou Stance 150mm of travel. I never replaced it and it felt fine to me. I am not sure what the A2C was of that model Stance but it didn't seem to be very tall. Go for it...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm running Lyricks on 7Point and she rides great. Had 36's on until I got sick of blowing the dampening.

One point to note is that it really steepens the head angle. I ran a zero stack headset which left me with a 68.5 degree head angle. On realising this I used the bottom half of a standard FSA reducer headset which gives me about 18 mm rise. This now gives me a 67 degree head angle and she feels a lot less twitchy.

Nick

mtbr member
    You can always get the Enduro headset extender if it's too steep: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id183.html

I have one on my 6 point and works great!

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    You can always get the Enduro headset extender if it's too steep: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id183.html

I have one on my 6 point and works great!

Have FUN!

G
    hey Gman,
    The Enduro isn't compatible with the 7point because it uses 1.5 standard. 6point uses 44mm ID Zerostack.
    You can use the K-9 angle adjustment cups or the new adjustable angle Cane Creek headset which is still in production.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    hey Gman,
    The Enduro isn't compatible with the 7point because it uses 1.5 standard. 6point uses 44mm ID Zerostack.
    You can use the K-9 angle adjustment cups or the new adjustable angle Cane Creek headset which is still in production.
    Got it. I wish you could put a tapered steerer in the 6 Points!

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    2008 7 point

I have two forks:
    Talas 36 (545mm crown-to-axle)
    Domain 180 (565 crown to axle I think)

I only use the 180 when I'm downhilling (and the bike still isn't slack enough).
    I use the Talas 36 95% of the time. Geometry is great for everything (including jumping) short of full on DH.

Hindsight being 20/20 I would have 1 fork for the 7-point. I should have saved the $300 that I spent on the domain and saved up for a used DH bike.
    -MitchB

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Welp, I did my first test run tonight on my '05 7 point 7 frame w/ a fox vanilla R rear w/ 350# spring and a 160mm lyrik coil. This bike is a riot! I like having a steeper head angle up front and running the weight down on this bike compared to my heavy 08 7 point. The frame/suspension feels great, handling is quick, and the ride is plush. 17 miles of goodness on some local single track.

I just ordered an e13 SRS chainguide tonight and my shimano saints cranks should be here tomorrow! Going to feel good to pull off my back up FSA moto x cranks. I was dropping the chain up front tonight because it appears N-gear jump stop wont work with this frame. Running a 1x9 should keep things nice and simple.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    any thoughts on putting a 150mm Fox Float 32 on a '08 MKIII? Current fork is a 32 Talas 130mm. Looking to gain some travel and slacken the head angle. Not sure how the bike would ride with 20mm extra on the fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk3Rider View Post
    ...my '05 7 point 7 frame w/ a fox vanilla R rear w/ 350# spring and a 160mm lyrik coil. This bike is a riot! ....compared to my heavy 08 7 point.
    Heavy because of different build, not because of the frame right ? 07/08 are supposed to be quite a bit lighter than older frames... just making sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk3Rider View Post
    The frame/suspension feels great, handling is quick, and the ride is plush. 17 miles of goodness on some local single track.
    Whoa, seems like 7pt would be rather heavy for single tracks. Funny, I picked one up to turn it into a DH/park bike as it seems way to heavy for me to actually pedal (my main ride is an Ibis Mojo, after riding an MKIII for a while).

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Still rocking on my two 7 points. I ride the 05 frame mostly w/ around 50% sag in the rear. They are some hefty bikes, but I have generated some thick legs while riding them. Next bike will be an IBIS mojo HD in a couple years once done w/ school.