mtbr member
    Feb 2009

'08 iron horse maverick 4.2

i found an 08 iron horse maverick 4.2 at a ***** sporting goods for $400 and for an additional $60 i could buy a three year warrenty that would cover everything on the bike no matter what. I am having a hard time finding info about the bike and the components. any one know where i could find some info or have any experience with the bike?

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    is it really a 2008 model? I've only seen 2007's (both in stores and online).

It's built to be a Recreational XC bike, and does a great job of just that. Don't expect it to last if you're doing any downhill or jumping.

I currently ride a 2007 Maverick and it gets the job done nicely on my local trail. But the trail consists of mainly flats, basic climbs and some small descends....nothing that would really stress the bike very much.

One of the guys I ride with has a Maverick also (2006 model) and it's running strong and both of us love our bikes. We both have done some minor upgrades, mainly for personal preference.

Can you reply with the specs on the 4.2...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I also have a 2008 model.

Rock Shox Dart 1
    Shimano Acera derailleur
    Tough Shock 700 rear suspension
    HB MX4 calipers

I'm looking to upgrade the bike, so far I want to replace the calipers and crank. Id also like to upgrade the suspension.

SoCal Rider
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikimonster
    I also have a 2008 model.

Rock Shox Dart 1
    Shimano Acera derailleur
    HB MX4 calipers

I'm looking to upgrade the bike, so far I want to replace the calipers and crank. Id also like to upgrade the suspension.
    Cool Maverick Tiki. Definitely has potential after a few small upgrades.

I noticed the biggest improvement after I swapped out the 1. Fork (2008 RockShox Recon), 2. Rear Derailleur (Shimano SLX), 3. Tires (Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1). I'm also looking to change the shifters as well.

What crank do you have currently, and what are you looking to buy?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

How much is this bike worth?

Rock Shox Dart 1
    Shimano Acera derailleur
    HB MX4 calipers

I'm looking to upgrade the bike, so far I want to replace the calipers and crank. Id also like to upgrade the suspension.[/QUOTE]

How much is this bike worth? I have a buddy who gave it to me last year when I first started riding for some drywall work I did for him! I have enjoyed it but would like to upgrade!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    probably $250 o

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a Maverick SE 2005 model. Looks like what you guys have. Good bike.. I upgraded mine w/ RS Tora fork L/O and DNM air L/O shock. Deore compnents. Rhyno lite wheels. Look around on different sites for sales...

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikimonster View Post
    Leave the brakes... HB MX4's were the best mechanical brakes I've ever owned!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .