3 on the tree

05 mkiii expert or 04 hollowpoint team?

Since I can't seem to fish up a reply in "what bike to buy", I'll turn to the IH experts. I'm 6'1", 220, ride mostly rocky singletrack in SoCal w/some fireroads and occasional sandy sections. Looking to replace an NRS, which I like climbing, but need more cush on the downs. Another point of reference, I like the way a Blur rides, but is too pricey.

I can get either bike listed above for about $2100. Should I go with the blingy part mix of the 04 or the refined suspension of the 05? Thanks in advance for any responses, advice and info.
    Smog builds character.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Steamthief,

You probably already read my reply to your post in the What Bike forum: Clyde's got $2100 - Giant, Iron Horse or Yeti?

At your size, the low 2.5:1 compression ratio the MkIII offers is your friend. That is the suspension difference I'd be focused on.

When I came off my NRS for my inagural ride on my Hollowpoint two years ago, my very first thought was, oh no, I've made a mistake as I sunk over an inch into the suspension. Compared to the cat's arched back feel of the NRS, I figured I had just built up a wanna be DH jr. rig and full face helmets and chest protectors were next on my shopping list.

Fast forward a few minutes, maybe 100' into my first climb, and my tune had quickly changed. Looking down between my legs, the rear shock only moved when crossing something. Out of the saddle, it remained just as solid. But looking away, none of this suspension compliance registered -- is suspension action really there if you can't feel the tug of the chain through the cranks with each compression? No lie: where the NRS would hang up and cause me to fight it on a ledge or deep water bar, the dw-link fluidly moves through it. It's smooth.

Again, that was my '03 Hollowpoint, essentially the same as what you'll find on the '04. And although I haven't finished building my MkIII yet, I don't expect this climbing quality to have changed one way or the other. But still, the MkIII would be my choice for someone your size.

3 on the tree
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Steamthief,

You probably already read my reply to your post in the What Bike forum: Clyde's got $2100 - Giant, Iron Horse or Yeti?

At your size, the low 2.5:1 compression ratio the MkIII offers is your friend. That is the suspension difference I'd be focused on.

When I came off my NRS for my inagural ride on my Hollowpoint two years ago, my very first thought was, oh no, I've made a mistake as I sunk over an inch into the suspension. Compared to the cat's arched back feel of the NRS, I figured I had just built up a wanna be DH jr. rig and full face helmets and chest protectors were next on my shopping list.

Fast forward a few minutes, maybe 100' into my first climb, and my tune had quickly changed. Looking down between my legs, the rear shock only moved when crossing something. Out of the saddle, it remained just as solid. But looking away, none of this suspension compliance registered -- is suspension action really there if you can't feel the tug of the chain through the cranks with each compression? No lie: where the NRS would hang up and cause me to fight it on a ledge or deep water bar, the dw-link fluidly moves through it. It's smooth.

Again, that was my '03 Hollowpoint, essentially the same as what you'll find on the '04. And although I haven't finished building my MkIII yet, I don't expect this climbing quality to have changed one way or the other. But still, the MkIII would be my choice for someone your size.
    If I'm following you correctly, the main advantage of the mkiii over the 04 is the lower compression ratio. In layman's terms, I'm assuming that less air going into the shock will increase the durability because the risk of blowing the shock out is lessened. Am I on the right page?

Is that solely why you feel the mkiii is a better choice, or does the added heft of the frame factor in as well?

Thanks for your advice, and sorry for any redundancies between the two boards.
    Smog builds character.

Well, one of the advantages.

Reading some of Dave Weagle & derby's comments, I'm expecting slightly increased compliance under braking, but I don't know that I'll notice it. And where the Hollowpoint frame had to strike a balance between XC and all-mountain, the MkIII is built solely as a trailbike, because the Azure is taking over the XC role. Yeah, I feel this shows in the frame construction & weight, although by all appearances, the '04 Hollowpoint frames demonstrated all the integrity they needed.

New project, TBA shortly
    I figured I had just built up a wanna be DH jr. rig and full face helmets and chest protectors were next on my shopping list.
    you say that like its a bad thing........ come join the dark side, evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by dante
    come join the dark side, evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Oh great, you work in a subliminal ad for Evil and make a Star Wars reference all in the same sentence!

New project, TBA shortly
    Oh great, you work in a subliminal ad for Evil and make a Star Wars reference all in the same sentence!
    nope, Spaceballs reference. ("Evil will always triumph b/c good is dumb")

also, that was a subliminal ad for FR/DH...

Quote Originally Posted by dante
    nope, Spaceballs reference. ("Evil will always triumph b/c good is dumb")
    Uhh... you mean those weren't the same movie?