mtbr member
    May 2006

'05 Mk III Expert, Parts Question - Triggers

Just picked up a '05 Mk III Expert on clearance at a LBS. From the few component specs I was able to find online about the 2005 models, they say the Expert should come with X-9 triggers. Mine came with X-7s.

Can other '05 Expert owners confirm what theirs came with.

If the LBS did swap the triggers before I bought it, do I have a case to have them replace the X-7s with X-9s??? Or is it usually "sold as is"??

Thanx

Black Lion
    The 05 Expert should come spec'ed with X9 shifters. Someone did a switch-er-roo.

Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do you think I have grounds to ask for them to replace the X-7s with X-9s? Or am I up sh*t creek without a paddle?

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by double0jimb0
    Do you think I have grounds to ask for them to replace the X-7s with X-9s? Or am I up sh*t creek without a paddle?

It depends.
    First ask them why they made the switch. If you are not happy have them switch them back to spec. The X7's work just as well in my opinion.

Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by double0jimb0
    I would think that if the bike came with X-9 shifters and your LBS swapped them out without telling you or specifically, selling the bike used or selling the bike "as-is" (even then they still should have pointed out any component differences from the factory spec on a new bike), then you would have an issue with them. After all, they substituted a less expensive component. For all you know one of the LBS employees is buying X-7 parts and swapping the shifter on this MKIII, the derailleur on that Kona and the headset on that Specialized to "upgrade" his personal bike and hoping that no one will notice. To my mind that is theft and is criminal even if the components perform identically.

So my answer is yes, if they did swap out components for lesser quality you have grounds to ask them what is up and possibly grounds to pursue legal action. First, though, I would call Iron Horse and ask them to confirm that the MKIII experts did in fact ship with the X-9 shifters and that there isn't a typo on their website or something similar. If they did make a swap, then I would politely ask the bike shop about it - speak to the manager if you need to (after all it could be one bad employee that the owner/manager doesn't knows about).

Only if you don't get satisfaction that way would I escalate the situation. As for how to escalate that depends on what the LBS's reaction is. The police may or may not care too much depending on the price difference between the X-7 and X-9 shifters (after all they also have to solve armed robberies, murders and such), but I would think that Iron Horse would like to know that somone selling their products is doing something this. Likely just the threat of escalation will solve the situation.