mtbr member
    Aug 2009

05 Azure Expert Leftover

My local LBS has a new '05 Azure in my size (wrongly tagged as an '06 - they can care less); was marked down from $3300 (?!) to $1700; says I can have it for 300 less, the lowest they will go, yet my wife is okay with the numbers. They'd carry their standard LBS warranty; since IH is no more that means replacement of like or other-brand parts.

This would replace my dated and recently sold '99 FSR Stumpjumper XC Comp (upgrade time.)

I see the front derailleur has been contacting the rear triangle from test rides, and the BB doesn't have the required spacer on the drive side. I'd prefer Fox sus. though not a deal breaker. My other choice is a used '08 Cannondale Rush RL 5; nothing else appeals to me and I'm done looking; will buy no later than end of October.

It "feels" proportionally right. I'm 55 YO, 145 lbs, 5'-8" with a 32" pants inseam (34" up to base of pelvis bone); ride 3-4x/wk to stay healthy. I'm sized for the low end of medium on every brand (CD/Giant/GT/Trek/Spec/Titus/SC) due to longer legs & arms/shorter torso.

I'd have swap/modify the front derailleur, and deal with some front-end bob due to no lockout; maybe change out the cranks as they are 170mm; 175mm seems better for me.

I'm always reserved about buying things, over research, and spend too much time pondering although that's part of the fun; yet once I go forward, am satisfied having done due diligence.

Your thoughts?

mtbr member
    It's easy enough to modify the front derailleur to solve the issue of it contacting the chain stay.

Just let all the air of of the shock so you can fully compress the rear suspension. This allows you to easily see exactly how much overlap there is. Then remove the derailleur from the bike and use a grinder to remove a suitable amount of material from the end of the derailleur cage.

I wouldn't bother mucking about trying to find another derailleur to fit as you're likely to have to modify it anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's pretty good that your LBS is willing to eat a frame if you have troubles " I've had two crack ", get it all in writing though. Good luck, I'd think twice before I dropped the coin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Price is okay, so long as the LBS is willing to replace the frame with something comparable if it should break.

Don't worry about lack of lockout. Pedal induced bob should not be a problem so long as you have the sag set correctly.

You might find it useful to look at ashwinearl's Azure review.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think the 05 is not the newest Azure, its the one with the bent top tube that came out directly after the Hollowpoint and directly before the Azure that ashwinearl reviewed, and that I own and love.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yes, it appears the front derailleur can easily be modified.

I'm concerned about no fork lockout, not rear as the DW link seems to be good for that.

The frame is same as ashwinearl's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I test rode it today and it felt good, like an XC should, though those funky Shimano Dual Control shift levers are too wacky - I'll pass on this one.