mtbr member
    Sep 2004

New question here. '04 HP's are getting scarce!SKA Todd

I called the shop where I was going to be buying my HP Expert this weekend and Holy Molly, they are sold out! Started calling some other IH dealers and most of them are out also {17" }. So, am I better off just waiting at this point for the 05' models to arrive? Driving 75 miles to pick up an '04? If I wait, how long will it be before the new models start shipping from IH and what might the new prices be?

mtbr member
    The 04's are probably disappearing because there are some killer sales going on. I was able to get my 04 HP Expert for $1350. Once I swapped around parts from my old bike I made back $900 from just selling off the spare pieces. So I essentially paid $450 for the frame, fork, shock and headset (those are the important bits that I did not replace). Awesome deal for an awesome ride.

Industry Loudmouth
    The 05's are planned for a Nov/Dec release date.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    The 05's are planned for a Nov/Dec release date.

-ska todd

Bicyclebuys.com still has 17" HP's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Galyans?

I don't know if you are near a Galyan's Sporting Goods chain store, but their North Face FS bikes are Hollowpoints with different spec. The one in Broomfield Colorado has a model on sale for $1299 that has a Fox Vanilla 100 fork, a Manitou QR, and get this: XT hydraulic dual-control levers, but Deore hydro disks. WTB Speeddisk wheels.

SkaTodd verified in another post that they are Hollowpoints.

Galyan's occasionally has unadvertised blowouts where they will take an additional 20 or 30% off stuff already on sale. That would put that bike at just over a grand. At that price, it would be a killer deal.

The other wild card in this is that Galyan's was just bought out by another chain (Dick's), so I'm guessing at some point they'll want to get rid of all the Galyan's specific stuff.

Hollowpoint fans, keep your eyes peeled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I must be a fortune teller....

Galyan's now has an additional 20% off 'Clearance' outdoor equipment. Anything ending in .97 is clearance. So, the North Face/Hollowpoint with the Fox fork and XT dual control levers is $1040. They have a lower end model with a coil shock that would be $799.

They also have a couple of Haro X3 freeride bikes that would now be $799. That is a nice deal, too.

Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    I don't know if you are near a Galyan's Sporting Goods chain store, but their North Face FS bikes are Hollowpoints with different spec. The one in Broomfield Colorado has a model on sale for $1299 that has a Fox Vanilla 100 fork, a Manitou QR, and get this: XT hydraulic dual-control levers, but Deore hydro disks. WTB Speeddisk wheels.

Galyan's occasionally has unadvertised blowouts where they will take an additional 20 or 30% off stuff already on sale. That would put that bike at just over a grand. At that price, it would be a killer deal.

The other wild card in this is that Galyan's was just bought out by another chain (Dick's), so I'm guessing at some point they'll want to get rid of all the Galyan's specific stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit

Check this out!!!!!
    I went to my local Gaylans and just scored that same North Face set up! It is called the Kichatna.

Guess what I got it for.......?
    Oct 04 $2300 Orinal retail
    Nov 04 $2000 1st Markdown
    Dec 1st $1000 2nd Markdown
    Dec 13th $500 Final closeout prior to ***** Transition

But....I got mine for $400 because of some scratches on the bottom of the frame where it had been placed on the stand in the store. They even tuned it for me!
    I contacted Iron Horse and they confirmed that my model was a newer 04 Hollowpoint with the improved rear end.

I love Gaylans!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That's Insane, Mon! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by newhollowpointer
    Check this out!!!!!
    I went to my local Gaylans and just scored that same North Face set up! It is called the Kichatna.

Guess what I got it for.......?
    Oct 04 $2300 Orinal retail
    Nov 04 $2000 1st Markdown
    Dec 1st $1000 2nd Markdown
    Dec 13th $500 Final closeout prior to ***** Transition

But....I got mine for $400 because of some scratches on the bottom of the frame where it had been placed on the stand in the store. They even tuned it for me!
    I contacted Iron Horse and they confirmed that my model was a newer 04 Hollowpoint with the improved rear end.

I love Gaylans!
    I pride myself as a serious bargain hunter, but that must take the cake for 2004! Your gonna love the heck outta that bike, myself being a proud owner of 03 HP Expert.
    Last edited by Moo Shoo Pork; 12-17-2004 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling

I like Guiness
    Aug 2004

$400!?!

Wow, I thought I was lucky getting a deal on my hollowpoint. You just got th best deal I have ever heard of!! You will love that bike.
    "Bad hair = good science" -me

"Two paths diverge in a wood, and I took the one more technical" (not always true)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm surprised the HP team remains available for $2500 at supergo. I bought one planning to discard the frame if I didn't like it and build a boutique bike with the parts. After a month of riding I'm amazed at this bikes ability to keep my nokian wxc 300 studs glued to rough ice and hard pack snow. If I had the opportunity to ride this bike for a couple hours before purchasing, I would have been willing to pay near list for it.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a 2004 Hollowpoint Expert in size 17" look no further than the mtbr.com buy and sell forum. There is one for sale in there at Supergo.com prices but from a local bike shop in Ohio somewhere.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for whoever started this thread.

mtbr member
    I was checking around. I think that Epic Cycles in Black Mountain might have the last 04 Hollowpoint, it is an expert rl medium. You could pick it up for a son I'm sure. Give Big Al a call. ask him what he ride? I have had a hustler, now a 03 hp team, and a 7point7 from santa. the RL is the race rig. it has the switchable link. It is steel color?

supergo? go home. buy from a real dealer who is there for you. Al has worked as an exec for Cane Creek, Sun Ringle and is responsible for great thing from them, rhyno, abbah... Gave it up for the Family, and bought a shop! didn't say he was smart.
    "If everyone could ride it...everyone would be riding it!"
    "If your not pushing your bike; it's just a ride!"
    -Dr. Death