mtbr member
    Feb 2005

'04 Hollowpoint Sport, shock upgrade?

Hi guys,
    My Hollowpoint came with a Manitou QR rear shock. It seems to work fine, but I know nothing about it and suspect its a lower-end shock. Does anyone know if it would be an upgrade to go to a Fox Float or RockShox SID?
    Thanks, Brian.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBri
    Hi guys,
    My Hollowpoint came with a Manitou QR rear shock. It seems to work fine, but I know nothing about it and suspect its a lower-end shock. Does anyone know if it would be an upgrade to go to a Fox Float or RockShox SID?
    If you like the way the Manitou QR performs, and it is still working well, I see no reason to upgrade. Upgrading rear shocks is expensive and it's not clear at the outset if the "upgrade" will offer any performance improvement over what you already have.

If you do decide to upgrade, here's a checklist of things to look for or avoid:

Fit: You must have a shock with the correct eye-to-eye (i2i) length and stroke length. In addition, once mounted, the shock must be able to move through its entire range of travel without interference from any part of the frame. 2004 Hollowpoints require a shock with a 6.5" i2i and 1.5" stroke length. Mounting hardware (reducers) for 2004 Hollowpoints need to have an 8mm hole and must provide 24mm in width when installed in the shock eyelets.

Rebound Damping Adjustment: This is a must. Don't buy any shock without it.

Compression Damping Adjustment: This is hard to find, and is likely one of the reasons that Nate recommends the Cane Creek shocks. This feature is perhaps not absolutely necessary, but if you don't have it, you might well end up with a shock that's overdamped for the DW-Link suspension. (Note: The Cane Creek AD12 won't fit on a 2004 Hollowpoint set for 4.5" of travel without some creative Dremel work. Don't know about the Cloud Nine. If anyone tries it, let me know how it goes.)

Platform / Low speed compression damping: For the Hollowpoint, you either want to avoid this feature, or have a way to minimize the amount of platform that the shock provides. This means that Fox shocks with firm propedal damping are unsuitable. (Fox shocks which provide a way to minimize or eliminate Propedal damping are okay.) Progressive Suspension 5th Element and Manitou Swinger 3-way or 4-way shocks are okay because the amount of platform can be minimized. But even minimal platform is still some platform, and you'll give up some small bump sensitivity.

Air vs Coil: You want an air shock unless the coil shock provides some way to make the shock more progressive near the end of travel. (A Fox DHX coil might be okay if they made it in a size that would fit an 04 Hollowpoint.)

Air spring: Is the shock capable of providing a high enough spring rate for your application? (E.g. the air spring chamber of a Progressive Suspension 5th Element may only be inflated to a maximum of 150psi. I'm guessing that this shock is not suitable for riders weighing over 160lbs wishing to use the 4.5" travel setting on their 2004 Hollowpoints.)

Air volume adjustment: This is a nice, but not absolutely necessary feature. It controls how progressive the shock becomes near the end of the stoke.

Lockout: You don't need it.

Reliablility: Have others had problems with the shock? Does the manufacturer have a good track record at fixing problems under warranty?

Maintainability: Is the shock user serviceable or does it need to be sent to a service center on a regular basis? Downloading and reading the online manuals is a good way to find out about the maintenance schedule.
    Last edited by KevinB; 08-08-2005 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Wow Kevin, thanks for the great reply. That is all the info that I'll need if I do decide to upgrade.

Yes, the shock I have now is working fine. It holds pressure fine, and air and rebound adjustment range are more than enough. You also mentioned compresion damping, and it doesn't seem to have too much either.

So yes, it works well, I just didn't know if I was missing out on anything by having a less expensive shock. I think I'll hold onto this one at least untill it gives out.

Thanks a lot for the very comprehensive response.
    Brian.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    If you like the way the Manitou QR performs, and it is still working well, I see no reason to upgrade. Upgrading rear shocks is expensive and it's not clear at the outset if the "upgrade" will offer any performance improvement over what you already have.

If you do decide to upgrade, here's a checklist of things to look for or avoid:....
    There are occasional posts here that deserve to be stickied and, IMHO, this is one of them.

Nice one KevinB.

Mr. P