mtbr member
    May 2005

04 or 05 hollowpoint team??

i am considering getting a hollowpoint team. how much has it been improved from 04 to 05? Is it worth paying the extra for the new model? anybody know how big of a drop this thing will take without breaking the frame?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdirt
    i am considering getting a hollowpoint team. how much has it been improved from 04 to 05? Is it worth paying the extra for the new model? anybody know how big of a drop this thing will take without breaking the frame?
    The '04s are an outstanding value if you can still find them in the right size.

The '05 MkIII nets you a stronger, albeit heavier frame, increased stiffness, a dw-link that has been massaged to run at lower pressures and provide a slight improvement in braking. It also bumps travel back into the 5" realm.

Neither bike is built for freeride hucks, but I'd feel more comfortable tackling bigger XC terrain with the reinforced MkIII.

orthonormal
    dw_ posted that the '05 rear end was 5x stiffer (or was it 3x?) than the previous design. Having owned two Ventanas (Bruja and Chamuco) I know that this will result in a huge improvement in handling. There was no question in my mind to choose the '05 over the '04 regardless of price. Not that price wasn't important; my local Performance shop gave me the sale price Supergo was offering last week. I probably would have waited longer to buy a new bike without that deal. I'm hoping to get a call tomorrow telling me my bike has arrived but early next week is more likely.

No one can tell you how big a drop a given bike can handle because rider skill matters so much more than the bike. I see no reason why even the lightest XC frames shouldn't handle 3' to flat or bigger with a transition if you can land smoothly. I have a 5 year old Bianchi BuSS with a 3.5 lb Easton Ultralite frame that i've launched over 5' of stairs to flat concrete landings on occasion and i'm still racing it every week.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f
    dw_ posted that the '05 rear end was 5x stiffer (or was it 3x?) than the previous design. Having owned two Ventanas (Bruja and Chamuco) I know that this will result in a huge improvement in handling. There was no question in my mind to choose the '05 over the '04 regardless of price. Not that price wasn't important; my local Performance shop gave me the sale price Supergo was offering last week. I probably would have waited longer to buy a new bike without that deal. I'm hoping to get a call tomorrow telling me my bike has arrived but early next week is more likely.

No one can tell you how big a drop a given bike can handle because rider skill matters so much more than the bike. I see no reason why even the lightest XC frames shouldn't handle 3' to flat or bigger with a transition if you can land smoothly. I have a 5 year old Bianchi BuSS with a 3.5 lb Easton Ultralite frame that i've launched over 5' of stairs to flat concrete landings on occasion and i'm still racing it every week.
    your local shop matched a web price?? I still dont know if i can justify to my bank account the $1000 price jump between the 04 and 05 model. is it the rear shock that makes the difference in the stiffness or is it the dw-link? could this be corrected by buying a different shock? how much did you get the 05 for? i currently have an old tassajara and routinely take it off 6' + drops with no problem so I assume I will be ok on the hollowpoint.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    It's the frame and pivot design on the new bike. The frame uses larger diameter tubing, a tasty new forged bottom bracket / pivot assembly, a larger main linkage bearing, and some whacky custom formed tubing on the rear triangle.

Nothing to do with the shock.

orthonormal
    your local shop matched a web price?? I still dont know if i can justify to my bank account the $1000 price jump between the 04 and 05 model. is it the rear shock that makes the difference in the stiffness or is it the dw-link? could this be corrected by buying a different shock? how much did you get the 05 for? i currently have an old tassajara and routinely take it off 6' + drops with no problem so I assume I will be ok on the hollowpoint.
    Performance owns Supergo even though they operate independently so they were really only matching their own price. Anyhow, I paid $3000 for the MkIII Team and with my Team Performance membership I get $300 in-store credit with the purchase.

The change in stiffness is due to the overall redesign so a different shock isn't going to matter. The shock isn't taking much if any of the side loading in either the older or new design.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the info, I think I'm convinced that the MKiii is the way to go. My next question is the difference between the expert and team version. Is there a huge difference between the two or just a tiny performance and weight difference? Also, I do not have an IH shop nearby so I will have to mail order it. Are warranty issues a problem when mail ordering and also getting the bike serviced?