Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    85

    03 SGS Team rearend flex

    I know Evil is making a new rearend for these, but is there anything else to do to them to help reduce the flex?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaaa31
    I know Evil is making a new rearend for these, but is there anything else to do to them to help reduce the flex?
    Well, mine was flexing a lot, so last summer I made a little mod. It involved a couple pieces of 3/8 threaded rod, 8 nuts, and 8 washers. I took the linkage plate off and drilled a couple 3/8 holes in the open space between the shock mount and other mounts. I then used the rod, held to the plates with nuts and washers on either side of the plates, to hold the two linkage plates parallel to each other. Amazingly stiff!

    Sorry, no pics!


    danno

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerKitty
    Well, mine was flexing a lot, so last summer I made a little mod. It involved a couple pieces of 3/8 threaded rod, 8 nuts, and 8 washers. I took the linkage plate off and drilled a couple 3/8 holes in the open space between the shock mount and other mounts. I then used the rod, held to the plates with nuts and washers on either side of the plates, to hold the two linkage plates parallel to each other. Amazingly stiff!

    Sorry, no pics!


    danno
    I actually thought about doing something like that, but figured it would void the warranty. But hell, its a much cheaper fix than buying the new rear end. I may look at doing that. No pics? Could you email me one, or you just dont have one?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaaa31
    I actually thought about doing something like that, but figured it would void the warranty. But hell, its a much cheaper fix than buying the new rear end. I may look at doing that. No pics? Could you email me one, or you just dont have one?
    Sorry, never took pics of that mod and I'm on the injured list right now and can't get to the bike. Picture this though: I first got the biggest washers that I could find with a 3/8 hole in them (around 1" diameter). I centered the washers in the linkage plates and marked the best place to drill the holes. The linkage plates were off the bike and held together in a vice to do the drilling. I then re-assembled the bike with the stack up on the threaded rod like: outer nut | washer | plate | washer | nut | .... rod ...... | nut | washer | plate | washer | nut. Made a huge difference and cost all of $5.

    I've done some big stuff with this setup with no problems, but if it breaks at some point it was still worth the increased stiffness. BTW, the shock took a lot of side load when it was flexing.

    danno

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    85
    Thanks for the info. I was contemplating doing something like that, and I'm glad to hear that its been done and it worked. I cant afford a new rear end right now, and the bike is super flexy, so to the drill press it goes. I'll post some pics when its done.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    85
    Tried this and it works great. Here's some pics.


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    85
    Pic # 2

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    85
    pic # 3


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    85
    pic # 4


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaaa31
    pic # 4


    Cool, that's it! Cuts flex and it'll make the shock last a lot longer too..

    danno

Similar Threads

  1. How can I increase travel on my 03 SGS Sport?
    By Ironhorse12 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 09:44 AM
  2. How can I increase travel on 03 SGS Sport?
    By Ironhorse12 in forum Iron Horse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 11:34 AM
  3. 03 SGS Team shock mount mod. ??
    By schwaaa31 in forum Iron Horse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 07:42 PM
  4. weight of giant XTC team 03 frame
    By crash_man in forum Giant
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 05:33 PM
  5. 03 SGS Team headset question...
    By schwaaa31 in forum Iron Horse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 08:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •