Tribe Member

The Yeti project has started

Ok..so I have asked some questions and made some decisions and here I am at the half way point of the process.

The Yeti project came out of moving to the burbs from the city and still wanting to commute but not want to damage the road bike or ride the fixie for the 20 mile, one way commute during the winter months. I had my trusty 96 Yeti ARC just gathering dust and begging to be put back into action.

So after some parts bin scraping in the basement, calling in a couple of favors to the bike shop and countless articles about this, it has begun.

I ordered up some Versa shifters from AEBike since they had the best price. Buddy ordered up my Nexus hub and another buddy scrounged up some Mavic 217 26: mtb rims. The wheel should be done this week, the shifters are all setup, the parts are hung and all that is left is tires and hook up of cables.

Below is the bike as it sits now..ARC frameset, Judy SL fork (which will be replaced with a carbon fork after the holidays), XT crankset, XTR v brakes, FSA bar and stem, Cygolite Li-on Dual Cross Pro and some Crud fenders.

The Versa shifters are pretty cool. Two levers for up and down shifting, brake levers that dont move and somewhat light. The rear shifter with cable came in at 244 grams. The left, which is a brake lever only, so dont believe what some places have described that it can be used with a double, is a scant 149 grams.

Should have this done after Thanksgiving so early December will be the launch point.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Candlestick Maker
    Nice! Definitely interested to hear about the shifter.
    baker

Tribe Member

Finally completed and on it's maiden voyage

Finally got this project off the ground and completed in the last couple of weeks.

Impressions:

wheel building is tough with a 4lb hub. Used to building wheels with less weight and holes. Took some time but finally got it right and it is happy.

shifters - these are somewhat tough to setup. first, the cable adjuster that they provide does not sit in the exit hole of the der cable very well. ended up moving this to the cable stop on the frame and works a bit better. it was bending the cable down at a weird angle. next, there are no gear indicators with this so it was trial and error to make sure that you were in gear #4 for the adjustment range. took some time to figure out how much length to have when cable exited and pinch bolt. once adjusted though, it is smooth and a great ride.

gearing - using a stock XT crankset with 32/42 with a 19t out back. seems good for now. it is in manual mode for the front change though. looking to get a bar end shifter since the versa levers are for brake only on the left side.

replaced the suspension for with a carbon fork and saved some weight. it is a bit shorter than the judy that came off so the handling is bit quicker since the axle to crown is less.

bike comes it at 24.5 lbs with fenders. need to add my lights to it and it is ready for the winter commuter season in Colorado. i have about a 35 mile round trip commute so it is going to see some miles quickly, even if i only commute twice a week at this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Yeti project has started-img_1057.jpg  

The Yeti project has started-img_1058.jpg  

Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round