mtbr member
    Nov 2009

New question here. WTB Laserdisc Trail 29er ERD

I post this thread at Wheels and Tires but nobody response.

I want to built a wheel with this rim http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=49026 and alfine hub. The problem is the ERD. WTB site says 605mm. But... I have two pairs of wheels with these rims and the sticker on the rim writes 602 ERD. I can not make an exact measure by myself, on the complete wheels.
    Using spocalc for alfine hub and WTB Laserdisc Trail 29er combo:
    for ERD 605 -> spoke length 287.7/288.3 or
    for ERD 602 -> spoke length 286.2/286.8
    Has anyone built a wheel with this rim and what was the ERD you took into consideration?

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    try the 29er forum if nobody chimes in here too.

mtbr member
    If you know the nipple lengths in your built-up wheels (12mm?) you could calculate the ERD by measuring the distance from nipple to opposing nipple and then adding 2 x nipple lengths (or adjust this if you don't want the spokes to end up flush with the nipple head).

I've got a long pair of vernier calipers that I use for this but you could make a gauge out of pretty much anything and then measure it against a steel rule.
    Personally I'd go by the rim sticker dimension, rather than that given on the WTB website.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thank you Andy.
    I ordered the 288mm spokes considering that 603ERD on the rim is right; plus the nipples' heads we have about 605mm . I hope my hypothesis is right or else the spokes will stick out of the nipples about 2mm.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

Confirmation on ERD?

So I'm in the same boat, trying to figure out if the ERD is really 605. A call to WTB confirmed the 605 ERD, but it is still disconcerting that there are more than a few references that say 602. How did those spokes works out for you?

mtbr member
    ERD confirmed here.
    Brisbane, AU

mtbr member
    I just built a set 2 week ago, alfine 11 hub to that rim 288mm spokes
    Josh