mtbr member
    Apr 2010

where to buy alfine 8sp?

I'm trying to get an alfine setup going. I already purchased a shifter for a good price but need everything else for the setup. prices I've seen online seem to be all over the map with ebay and amazon.com having the best prices. I think I saw about $250 shipped on ebay for the hub setup with accessories and $242 + shipping on amazon which seemed to be without the accessories. I'd rather buy a hub that came with everything. any input?

mtbr member
    Before I decided to go with 11 spd I was going to get this.

Handspun Shimano Alfine Wheels - Outside Outfitters

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    those look to be a good deal but i need a bare hub.

Frt Range, CO
    I bought my Alfine 11 from these guys, low price, free, fast shipping:
    Wiggle | Shimano Alfine 8-Speed Disc Hub without Fittings | Hubs

mtbr member
    Here's where I bought mine: Amazon.com: Shimano Alfine SG-S501 Hub Kit - 32H, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Seller is Niagara Cycle. Nice people. I ordered black hub with black shifter but they shipped a silver shifter. Called them up and they fixed it up right away. I don't know how they decide what goes out the door, but based on my conversations with them you're likely to have the same experience or maybe end up with a different cog than the one pictured. I would just go ahead and order the cogs you want from them through amazon at the same time. If you order them together, the shipping is no extra charge. And their prices are pretty cheap too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks corporal, got that one. Screaming deal for all that stuff.

rollin
    universalcycles.com has everything you need:

Universal Cycles -- Hubs & Parts > Internally Geared Hubs

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I placed an order for one a few weeks ago. Shopped around a bit and found this was the cheapest. I'm in OZ and freight was pretty good as well. Cheaper than Wiggle or Chainreaction which is always a good benchmark. The other bits a pieces to go with it were pretty good as well:

Shimano Alfine Internal Gear Hub SG-S501 8-speed Centerlock 32 h black

mtbr member
    I just noticed this on the amazon/niagara cycle link I posted above:

**Please note, parts are not all black as shown** Shimano has changed their design. Shifter and cog are silver.
    The shifter is not actually silver. The actual shifter (the housing for the mech) is black and the indicator (the cover/top part) is silver. I broke my indicator after a few days from turning the bike upside down and resting it on the handlebars. I ended up taking the cover off and replacing it with a bit of duct tape to keep the weather out. Now its black and digital camo (duct tape pattern ). It actually looks better with the duct tape IMO and the indicator is worthless anyway. After a year like that, I still haven't had any issues.