Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Shimano technical document on th erapidfire shifter SI-6TV0A-001-00.... "Reduce the force being applied to the pedals when shifting the lever. If you try to force operation of the shifting lever while the pedals are being turned strongly, your feet may come off the pedals and the bicycle may topple over, which could result in serious injury."

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lesoudeur View Post
    ... shifting lever while the pedals are being turned strongly, your feet may come off the pedals and the bicycle may topple over, which could result in serious injury."
    that sounds a bit funny (and in reality it seems to work better). shimano seem to protect themselves against issues with gear changing?
    and on the other hand in ads is said
    "shimano offers superior gear changing even on hills"
    confused
    ro

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm not sure how many Alfine 8's have failed. I've read about more than a few. It seems to me like there was a time when people were dissing the Alfine 8 for MTBing and that has passed - I presume because more and more people had successes and the reality of the situation became apparent.
    Since the original SG-8R20 eight-speed hub, Shimano has released six follow-on versions, each with additional improvements: SG-8R25, SG-8R27, SG-8R35, SG-8R36, SG-S500 and SG-S501.

jd

mtbr member
    if someone already covered this then i apologize cause i missed it but...

is there a real statement in print from shimano that states that the alfine 11 is officially NOT for mtb use? there is alot of talk stating its not and i am wondering if its just something people have inferred (much like what ratios are ok and not ok) or if it is documented fact. i am not saying it is or is not designed for mtb use and am not trying to stir up debate... i am just asking cause i dont know.

by the way i am about to hit the first 1000km oil change with mine running 32x23 with no issues whatsoever and with every passing mile the shifting gets better. i guess either i have been easier on mine than most or i am lucky and got a good one (or both).

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I would have to guess that you would assume it was not for mtb use unless mentioned otherwise. The only hub officially rated for mtb as far as I know is the rohloff...it's the extreme scenario that would require special rating, not hte other way around. Doesn't mean of course you can't get away with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roll_off View Post
    that sounds a bit funny (and in reality it seems to work better). shimano seem to protect themselves against issues with gear changing?
    and on the other hand in ads is said
    "shimano offers superior gear changing even on hills"
    confused
    ro
    That bit is absolutely true and one of the reasons I dumped derailleurs.

mtbr member
    well mine is off for warranty but im not holding my breath
    shimano australia arent they greatest when it comes to these things
    Josh

mtbr member

Done with that.

I rode my Alfine 11 maybe 30 miles before it developed a major oil leak. Waited two months for the new seal. It started leaking again within a few days after what maybe 5 miles? My local shop totally backed me up. I am now happily back on a derailleur.

In fairness, though, I have not had even a tiny issue with the Alfine 8 on my Kona Dr. Fine other than the perception of a bit of drivetrain drag.

A Man Of The Truth
    Yeah in my 5 hubs, I also had a few oil leaks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I recently fitted a Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub system to my hybrid for road use (no MTB stuff at all) with 26" wheels. I have placed this post as a thread on other forums, but as I cannot start a thread on here until I have 5 posts, I'm posting here. I was wondering what experiences other people have had with the system. I use a 32t chainring, 20T sprocket, and the chain line is perfect. I use the Shimano 'single wheel' chain tensioner.

Firstly, after an initial announcement, it was about two years before Alfine 11 became available in the UK - were they working on solving niggling, lingering 'issues' with the system...

Anyway, the system generally works 'ok', but it is not without its foibles and idiosyncracies. I'm talking about mishifts, delayed shifts, non-shifts, drop backs and crunches. These don't happen 'all the time', but in a twenty mile ride I would expect to get at LEAST four or five issues like these.

I am currently considering changing the cable supplied (the normal cheapo Shimano one) to a an XTR grade coated slippery one and associated outer. Has anyone done that and found improved results? My current cable is well lubricated, I know what I'm doing in this respect having owned, raced and built bikes for over 45 years.

Also, re the expandable rubber gator that sits at the end of the outer cable by the hub, it has a circular metal clip at the end, and this clip has been compressed to an eliptical shape so that it applies a degree of grip on to the inner cable. What's that all about? I'm thinking it could be adversely affecting shifts a little by putting a bit of delay in the system - or maybe that's what it's trying to do - dunno. So why is this clip 'crushed' on to the inner cable?! Is it a Shimano retro mod?

By the way, my two 'yellow lines' are lined up perfectly, so no issues there.

One more point, as everyone seems to be saying, the mishifts seem to happen more so when pedalling under higher load conditions - though I stress, nothing major like standing on the pedals. Whilst I can understand, and to SOME extent accept that this is the case, let's face it, you cannot always change gear when pedalling pressure is low, especially when climbing a steep hill and you have to make your way down through the gears, there's nothing you can do about it, and crunched or missed changes are not acceptable. I've tried different ways of operating the lever; quickly, slower etc - no better.

All in all I love not having to bother about a front mech, the ability to 'just change gear' without having to really think about it, but those mishifts are not acceptable in my opinion. The odd one would be ok, but to have four or five during every short ride is not really up to scratch in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Does anyone know what is the lowest input ratio allowed on this hub ? I've read many times about the 1.9 "recomended" but nothing about a lower limit.

A Man Of The Truth
    "1.9 recommended" is the only thing that's written down. Shimano finally told my bike shop that my 1.6 input ratio was "way too low" and that it would destroy "any alfine 11 you put it on". So I would assume that 1.9 isn't the "recommended ratio, it is in fact the lower limit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It's all very well Shimano stating their case (though apparently not too sure of it), but a 1.9 ration is nowhere near low enough on a bike to get up even 'steepish' hills. For gawd's sake Shimano, design useable kit.

A Man Of The Truth
    For those interested in the math, an exact 1.9 input ratio gives you a low gear of almost exactly 1:1, and a high gear of about 4.1:1. And I fully agree, this limit makes this hub suitable for little more than road biking. The one genre of biking that want's nothing to do with an IGH.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    For those interested in the math, an exact 1.9 input ratio gives you a low gear of almost exactly 1:1, and a high gear of about 4.1:1. And I fully agree, this limit makes this hub suitable for little more than road biking. The one genre of biking that want's nothing to do with an IGH.
    I have to disagree. Mine is on a road bike, a hybrid. It (1.9 ratio) is not suitable for road biking by any imagination. Maybe tootling along disused railway bike tracks, in towns, shopping, Holland, etc etc. But general road riding as in touring where there are hills and mountains - no way. The lowest gear would be just too high to get over anything but the mildest of hills. And from where do you get the notion that road riding wants nothing to do with IGH?! They are used by thousands upon thousands of road touring cyclists. I think you're getting 'roadies' - as in racers - mixed up with the many other kinds of cyclists who ride a bike on the road.

A Man Of The Truth
    Dude i'm on your side, you don't have to bust my balls.
    I was referring to people who ride bikes like this:
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    And I'm not the least bit confused about it.
    That said, I ride my 6.5" travel all mountain bike on the street once a week. And after my 5th hub failure, I built up my bike as a 2:1 singlespeed. And surprisingly, when I have no other choice, I was able to make it up even the steepest of paved hills. That said, if your $1000 hub is no better than a single speed, you should go with a single speed. Also, even with a 1.9 ratio, I'm sure going up very steep hills on the 11 in 2nd gear would quickly kill that gear. I'd love to have the chance to prove that theory, but my Alfine 11 has been returned, and mostly refunded, and I'm now running a 1x9 sram drivetrain. (that i hate, but one thing I've never done on a derailer based drivetrain, is annihilate a gear while pedaling up a modest hill)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I use a 1:9 transmision as well with a 34-11 cluster. To have the same lowest gear (which I use) I'd need to go as low as 1.3.. heck I'd be willing to loose the 34 and keep the 30-11 lowest, then I'd need 1.46 input ratio.. still much lower then 1.9.
    I'm out of shape and weight around 145 soaking wet but still wouldn't gamble it judging by what I'm reading here.

A Man Of The Truth
    1.6 in the 11 gives you a really nice range that you adapt to pretty quick. It helps speed up adapting, that shifting is so quick and engagement of the pedal stroke is so quick (no ratchet). This saves so much energy, that it makes up for what you lose elsewhere.

If only the hubs didn't fail like clockwork.

mtbr member
    1.6 in the 11 gives you a really nice range that you adapt to pretty quick. It helps speed up adapting, that shifting is so quick and engagement of the pedal stroke is so quick (no ratchet). This saves so much energy, that it makes up for what you lose elsewhere.

If only the hubs didn't fail like clockwork.
    I'm running a 32T x 23T on my Alfine 11. No issues. MTBing or bikepacking.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Frt Range, CO
    ...If only the hubs didn't fail like clockwork.
    You are bitter, but your problem is you. You don't listen to others and demand the right to do the same stupid actions over and over while expecting a different result. 5 dead hubs speaks to Shimano's forbearance and your lack of mechanical abilities, nothing else. Now you've made it personal, you're on a mission to attack Alfines anywhere you can.

You've made your point several times, isn't it time to go away quietly?

A Man Of The Truth
    ... here we go again. Please explain to me which mechanical abilities I lack, and how they caused my hubs to fail.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I have one specific question, as I've encountered someone on this forum elsewhere that was affected by the following.

As far as lining up the yellow line, was your shifter in the right place? Example, an Alfine 8 has to have the shifter in 4th gear while lining up the two lines.

This guy I mentioned, I'll try to find the post, he was just configuring the lines with the shifter all the way slack, and his hub was basically unusable. I mentioned he should follow the manual, he did, and he is now riding it happily.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Music & Bikes
    Fellsbiker : Pursuiter doesn't like people who talks about Shimano's IGH failure.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Frt Range, CO
    ... here we go again. Please explain to me which mechanical abilities I lack, and how they caused my hubs to fail.
    Yes, here you are again, whining and complaining, yet so many others get their hubs to work under conditions you promise will destroy them. I don't know why you're so clueless, for what ever reason you refuse to try the suggestions given to you.

So give it a rest, it's time to move on.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    Fellsbiker : Pursuiter doesn't like people who talks about Shimano's IGH failure.
    And you claim the only reason why I haven't had troubles is that I don't ride, as if you know when and how long I ride. So many of us use these hubs under conditions you promise will destroy them. As if you're the only person that rides in cold, wet/icing conditions. You're another that refuses to take any input, the only answer you allow is "Shimano sucks, buy a Rolhoff."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast