Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 174
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9
    My second hub is still running fine after 600+ miles of off roading. I have found that aligning the yellow dots is not the best way to set the cable, yes it's close but it seems to me that the most sensitive two gears are 2nd & 10th. So I align the dots then gently pedal around shifting between 2nd & 10th while twiddling the adjuster counting the turns between getting a skipping 10th & skipping 2nd & then take the average. Bit of a faff, but it works. should you neeed to do this - well no - not on a 400 hub. I still like it though, yes there is sponginess in the lower gears, but sit & pedal smoothly & it all works for me. Running 32/18 on a 26er by the way.

  2. #27
    A Man Of The Truth
    Reputation: fellsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    I did a long ride on my 5th hub tonight and it also worked well. I am noticing 2nd gear is pretty flexy. I'm not sure if it's more flexy than my other hubs, or if I'm just more tuned to the flex now. I'm thinking that 2nd is probably just too weak. My tentative plan is going to be to try to avoid 2nd gear on strong climbs. I'll stick to 3rd and 1st when possible and when I think of it.

  3. #28
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,030
    I have just started dream building my Alfine equipped adventure bike and really know very little about the system compared to the real world users posting in this thread. That being said, it seems that the soon coming Di2 Alfine system will eliminate cables all together, and with it, possibly some of the vague set up issues?

    Here is one of many links.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wryknow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57
    I believe the Di2 is Shimano's response to their failure analysis of reported issues with the Alfine 11. It would be a typical Japanese style TQM response. If your failure analysis indicates that customer problems are being caused by cable routing and hub alignment issues then this upgrade would make perfect sense. I doubt it will eliminate the cable initially (although a wireless version should be possible right?), but it will ensure that the shifts are completed correctly.

  5. #30
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,030
    It appears from all of the pictures and descriptions to be fly by wire. So no actual tension cables, just wires that could be run internally to carry the battery voltage and a trigger signal. Plus some of the information is pointing to an average 1,000 mile Li-on battery recharge point. This system will not be for everybody, but it will certainly suite my application if it ever comes to light.

  6. #31
    A Man Of The Truth
    Reputation: fellsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    The weather has been crappy since my last post and I haven't gotten in many rides. Maybe 3 good ones on this my 5th hub.

    Condition: No 2nd gear.
    It self-destructed on my second ride. Now if I shift around it, the hub generally works fine. But if I accidentally shift into second gear, the hub goes crazy with grinding and clicking and no engagement.

    So I guess I just need to accept the fact that the Alfine 11 hub is only a 10 speed.

  7. #32
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,251
    Those marks are definitely not lined up inside the hub then or? To me iot sounds like they are putting these blobs of paint where they see fit, more or less. could be wrong here but 5 hubs!! Not a ****ing chance.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  8. #33
    A Man Of The Truth
    Reputation: fellsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    Finally got word today, after a year of asking for an explanation from shimano and getting none, that my gear ratio of 36/22 is too low and that's what is destroying the hub. Shimano has previously stated that there are NO input limits and that you can run any gears you want. So what this means is that this hub can NOT handle MTB use. Unless you mountain bike in florida where the trails are flat as can be.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    The weather has been crappy since my last post and I haven't gotten in many rides. Maybe 3 good ones on this my 5th hub.

    Condition: No 2nd gear.
    It self-destructed on my second ride. Now if I shift around it, the hub generally works fine. But if I accidentally shift into second gear, the hub goes crazy with grinding and clicking and no engagement.

    So I guess I just need to accept the fact that the Alfine 11 hub is only a 10 speed.
    I think the lemon law applies here in some fashion .... 5 hubs??? I would never tolerate that.

  10. #35
    A Man Of The Truth
    Reputation: fellsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    The only good alternative is to get a rholoff, and thats not in the budget. No amount of "tough-guyness" is going to get shimano to make me a hub that doesn't fail. I very strongly do NOT want to go back to derailers. Options are not in abundance.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    89
    Well, you could try going with the Alfine 8. That seems to be a more robust offering, and will save you some cheddar. I use a Nuvinci N360 and there are no gears to smash up, no issues after 8 months of use. It blows for uphill battles though, and forget about using it in a 700c/29" wheel; the lowest gear ratio specified by Fallbrook is too tall for these large wheels, at least in MTB applications. I would recommend 26" or less if possible. I agree with the sentiment about deraillers. I use my internal gear hub for commuting so I am less concerned about super lower gearing.

  12. #37
    A Man Of The Truth
    Reputation: fellsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    I am contemplating the 8, it's range is just so limited. I figure the most "well rounded" ratio I could give it is 36/19, which would make my lowest gear right around 1:1, and my highest gear right around 3:1. Compare that to the old days where my granny gear was 0.65:1 and my top gear was 4:1. Then I started thinking maybe tow chainrings in the front and an alfine 8 in the back. I most likely wouldn't even use that front shifter while riding, it would just be a way to shift my entire range from some lower gears to some higher ones. So if I'm in the woods, I'd keep it in my smaller chainring, and if I'm on the streets, i'd keep it in my higher one. But I haven't done any of the math on that crazy option yet. My problem is that every one of my options is a shitty option.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    I am contemplating the 8, it's range is just so limited. I figure the most "well rounded" ratio I could give it is 36/19, which would make my lowest gear right around 1:1, and my highest gear right around 3:1. Compare that to the old days where my granny gear was 0.65:1 and my top gear was 4:1. Then I started thinking maybe tow chainrings in the front and an alfine 8 in the back. I most likely wouldn't even use that front shifter while riding, it would just be a way to shift my entire range from some lower gears to some higher ones. So if I'm in the woods, I'd keep it in my smaller chainring, and if I'm on the streets, i'd keep it in my higher one. But I haven't done any of the math on that crazy option yet. My problem is that every one of my options is a shitty option.
    That is interesting because I am considering the same set up on my N360. I am frustrated with the smallish gear range and have to choose a gear that compromises on both ends. Now my hub is so so on hills, and so so on the flats. If I were to set up the bike with a double chainring I could have one gear for hills and one for flats... but this defeats the entire purpose of getting a hub gear. And I do love having that delicious single speed chainline.

  14. #39
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,445
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    I am contemplating the 8, it's range is just so limited....But I haven't done any of the math on that crazy option yet. My problem is that every one of my options is a shitty option.
    You and Don in Austin are not well suited for IGHs. Despite so many success stories, for whatever reason, you two have something going on that doesn't allow you to use IGHs. I'd give up and go back to derailliuers.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,252
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    Unless you mountain bike in florida where the trails are flat as can be.


    I'm sorry you've had issues with your Alfine 11....

    Mine is going strong. I just came back from a bikepacking trip with lots of steep grinding climbs. I've also used the bike unloaded on BC's steep and techy MTB trails...

    So far I've had no issues. Mine is geared at 32T ring x 23T cog. I find that's low enough for mountain biking and bikepacking.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wryknow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post


    Mine is going strong. I just came back from a bikepacking trip with lots of steep grinding climbs. I've also used the bike unloaded on BC's steep and techy MTB trails...
    Nice! How many miles do you have on your hub? I'm really enjoying mine but I don't even have 200 miles on it yet (work + family + school = lucky to bike twice a week )

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Wryknow View Post
    Nice! How many miles do you have on your hub? I'm really enjoying mine but I don't even have 200 miles on it yet (work + family + school = lucky to bike twice a week )
    I don't have a bike computer so my guess is 500-700kms. Mostly dirt. I only ride this bike on pavement when needed to connect up dirt for bikepacking routes.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  18. #43
    Aussie Bike Bashing
    Reputation: Pinchphlat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    38
    I will give the Alfine 11 a thumbs up for a mtb. It is sad to read of fellsbiker's problems, but maybe pursuiter is correct that the alfine 11 is not suited to your type of riding. I am running 32/21 on my mtb and find that it is plenty low for the type of riding I do, which does include steep difficult climbs. I also recently took the Alfine equipped mtb out on a 100km (63 mile) endurance race and it performed really well (the rider was a different story though!).

    I would also add that I have had the Alfine 11 set up on a commuting bike at 44/20 for a year and a half now, and it is going strong. The simple oil-change servicing means that maintenance is an easy chore

  19. #44
    A Man Of The Truth
    Reputation: fellsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    I'm not saying that the Alfine 11 isn't great for mountain biking when it's not broken. It is amazing on the trails, the gear range is nice and wide, shifting is fast. It's great. The problem is that the hubs are not strong enough for mountain biking. If your hub hasn't broke yet, you're going to love it. Once you destroy 2nd gear, you're doing to be a sad sack like me.

    Like I said, one tough climb in 2nd gear and your hub will be gone. But if you really want your hub to last, my advice is never ever use 2nd gear. 1st gear seems to be rock solid. The problem comes mid-season when you're really getting strong, and using the "granny gear" to climb is no longer appealing. So you try to do more climbs in higher gears because you can. But your hub... it can not.

    I did my first single speed ride today with 36/18 ratio. It was depressing.

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,252
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    I'm not saying that the Alfine 11 isn't great for mountain biking when it's not broken. It is amazing on the trails, the gear range is nice and wide, shifting is fast. It's great. The problem is that the hubs are not strong enough for mountain biking. If your hub hasn't broke yet, you're going to love it. Once you destroy 2nd gear, you're doing to be a sad sack like me.

    Like I said, one tough climb in 2nd gear and your hub will be gone. But if you really want your hub to last, my advice is never ever use 2nd gear. 1st gear seems to be rock solid. The problem comes mid-season when you're really getting strong, and using the "granny gear" to climb is no longer appealing. So you try to do more climbs in higher gears because you can. But your hub... it can not.
    I've been using the Alfine 11 for months now and using all the gears for our steep MTB trails. It's doing fine.

    Can't say it will never break, but I can say that one steep climb in second isn't the end of my hub.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  21. #46
    A Man Of The Truth
    Reputation: fellsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    What physical gears are you using?

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,252
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    What physical gears are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    So far I've had no issues. Mine is geared at 32T ring x 23T cog. I find that's low enough for mountain biking and bikepacking.
    I ride the steep techy trails on the South Shore of Vancouver Island BC and use the same bike for bikepacking.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  23. #48
    A Man Of The Truth
    Reputation: fellsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    32x23, that's an extremely low ratio. I wouldn't bet on your hub lasting much longer, but that's just me.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,252
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    32x23, that's an extremely low ratio. I wouldn't bet on your hub lasting much longer, but that's just me.
    I'll let you know if it dies. In the meantime I'm going to just keep on riding it and not spend a lot of mental energy on it. It seems like there are quite a few other folks using these hubs without problems so I am not going to write it off until something actually happens.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  25. #50
    A Man Of The Truth
    Reputation: fellsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    Well if you don't want to spend a lot of mental energy on it, then this probably isn't the ideal thread for you. That said, there are a lot of people who are not having problems, but there are a whole lot that are. My first hub lasted 2 months of heavy riding before it started to fail, so it does seem there is some variability as far as how long they last. I'll be happy when I finally get a rohloff and I'm done with all drivetrain headaches. But there's no telling when that will be $$$

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •