Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

What frame for rohloff?

I have a cross check, but is it really the frame for a Rohloff? It doesn't have a dedicated mount for it like the ogre and troll. But the ogre and troll would be a bit slow on the open road.

And I hate derailleurs. I just realized this with 10 speed. So this is what I'm looking for now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Fitting a Rohloff to a Cross Check can be done but it would be a bit clumsy because you would have to use the Rohloff torque arm. I have a Moonlander with a Rohloff and I'm currently building a Troll with a Rohloff as a touring bike. I'd say, if you can afford it, get a frame that can take a Rohloff without that ugly torque arm. One can never have enough bikes, right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    I have a cross check, but is it really the frame for a Rohloff? It doesn't have a dedicated mount for it like the ogre and troll. But the ogre and troll would be a bit slow on the open road.

And I hate derailleurs. I just realized this with 10 speed. So this is what I'm looking for now.
    My suggestion would be to build your dream wheels first. See how you like them in your Cross Check and then determine whether you need the expense of a new bike.
    I'm currently building some 29" wheels with Son28 Disk and Rohloff Disk.
    I'm using Sapim CX-Rays with Velocity Dyad rims. They are wheels I've wanted to build for a long time. I am putting them into a Surly Ogre frame but if I wasnt making my wheels my priority, I'd probably be buying a Co-motion Rohloff Divide.
    If your an on-road rider then pointless putting up with the weight of an off road bike (IMHO only). Saying that I believe the Ogre is a very versatile frame, which is why I bought one. It appears to be the closest I can find for "one bike to rule them all".
    I've only accommodation for one bike so need something that can do everything well enough to satisfy. I believe the Ogre whilst not great at anything, is good enough at everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How do the ogre handle racks and panniers?

And my roads aren't exactly roads much of the time. A lot of my riding would probably be on terrain very similar to that of cross country or cyclocross.

More dirt and caliche and that sort of thing.

It's bad enough that I'm reconsidering my stance on suspension forks. I could really use one of those and some tires that will go well on road, but will also grip in loose gravel/caliche.

About the geometry of the ogre. Could I pretty much get into the same position as I am on the cross check if I used a not set back seat post and kept the saddle a bit forward? There's only 1 degree of different in the seat tube angles. I'd be going with flat bars and would want them a few inches below the saddle.

I wonder if they make suspension forks for touring....
    Last edited by aBicycle; 04-25-2013 at 02:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wonder, should it be an ogre or a troll? I would like fatter tires that also present less resistance to acceleration like the 26" ers of the troll would provide, but would the 29er's be better for smoothing over rough lumpy terrain?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    would the 29er's be better for smoothing over rough lumpy terrain?
    Yes, that's what the proponents for 29ers say, but you pay for it with a little higher weight which you might not want on a touring bike because you carry enough weight already. Another consideration is that if you travel to far away places then it will be far easier to find a 26" replacement tyre tyre than a 29er.

Fine, it's a strong frame that can stand up to the demands of loaded touring.

I wonder if they make suspension forks for touring....
    Yes, here's an interesting full suspension touring bike:
    Panamericana Xplore

I prefer my bikes fully rigid because suspension soaks up some of your power when you're climbing and because I don't like the maintenance requirements of full suspension bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

I have to wait till my wheels are finished to get the angles lined up level.

Cheesiest
    Rad setup. I recently decided to pass on an alfine and hold out for a rohloff.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    Rad setup. I recently decided to pass on an alfine and hold out for a rohloff.
    Reading about some of the hassles the Alfine 11 crowd have been having I think you, like me, have made the right choice. I glad I read the IGH forum before making a final purchase decision.

I went with Tubus racks as they seemed to have the highest spec for carrying weight whilst being amongst the lightest of available racks. I got the stainless ones due to seeing lots of racks rusting where the panniers had scrapped the racks paint. Mostly a cosmetic issue than a serious rust one but aesthetics are important to me.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I had a steel 29er frame for rohloff....the main two points here are braze ons for cables and paragon sliders for the OEM drop out. This is what made it a good frame for Rohloff. Going on what you say about your use, I think it is the way you should go, with the addition of mounting points for racks. The frame only weighed 2.1kg and you then have all the choices for forks and tyres that you want. You can run full mtb tyres, or do what I did, and converted it to a drop bar 29er with 40C tyres. There are so many cross tyres, hybrid tyres, mtb tyres etc to choose from. I use a cheap hybrid tyre with side knobs to run both road and dirt.

What frame for rohloff?-dsc_0121_zps52330bf0.jpg

I ended up putting a 26er fork at 460 on it and it worked nicely to make the bike more "road" friendly. No rohloff on it anymore, that went to the new MTB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatsinglespeeder View Post
    Yes, that's what the proponents for 29ers say, but you pay for it with a little higher weight which you might not want on a touring bike because you carry enough weight already. Another consideration is that if you travel to far away places then it will be far easier to find a 26" replacement tyre tyre than a 29er.

Fine, it's a strong frame that can stand up to the demands of loaded touring.

Yes, here's an interesting full suspension touring bike:
    Panamericana Xplore

I prefer my bikes fully rigid because suspension soaks up some of your power when you're climbing and because I don't like the maintenance requirements of full suspension bikes.
    No, I mean will the ogre and troll be stable when loaded?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    No, I mean will the ogre and troll be stable when loaded?
    Yes, absolutely, that's what I meant to say.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was out on the weekend with about 40kg of gear on the rear rack of the Ogre (Alfine 8).

Its stability can't be overstated. Feels slower to steer but that's about it. Didn't feel at risk of toppling over even across rough ground and through gates.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just gotta get my chain on and brakes done and I should have an idea

The Tubus Cosmo and Nova bolted up real easy and straight forward.
    I went with the stainless racks due to having the painted steel versions on a previous bike and disliking the rust where the paint gets scratched.

What frame for rohloff?-dsc05771.jpgWhat frame for rohloff?-dsc05793.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Lovin' the wasp colour scheme. Or bee. Whatever it is, it's coloured that way as a warning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Just gotta get my chain on and brakes done and I should have an idea

The Tubus Cosmo and Nova bolted up real easy and straight forward.
    I went with the stainless racks due to having the painted steel versions on a previous bike and disliking the rust where the paint gets scratched.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05771.JPG 
Views:	693 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	800982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05793.JPG 
Views:	910 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	800983
    Huh, black is the best color for bikes I think. Silver and black...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have to wait till my wheels are finished to get the angles lined up level.

How did this go?

mtbr member
    ...Another consideration is that if you travel to far away places then it will be far easier to find a 26" replacement tyre tyre than a 29er...
    If that's a consideration then you should be riding one of these type of bike. Most common bike type in the 3rd world

And no worry about load carrying ability.

They're also capable of handling most trails

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Who makes those third world bikes anyway?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My suggestion would be to build your dream wheels first. See how you like them in your Cross Check and then determine whether you need the expense of a new bike.
    I'm currently building some 29" wheels with Son28 Disk and Rohloff Disk.
    I'm using Sapim CX-Rays with Velocity Dyad rims. They are wheels I've wanted to build for a long time. I am putting them into a Surly Ogre frame but if I wasnt making my wheels my priority, I'd probably be buying a Co-motion Rohloff Divide.
    If your an on-road rider then pointless putting up with the weight of an off road bike (IMHO only). Saying that I believe the Ogre is a very versatile frame, which is why I bought one. It appears to be the closest I can find for "one bike to rule them all".
    I've only accommodation for one bike so need something that can do everything well enough to satisfy. I believe the Ogre whilst not great at anything, is good enough at everything.

I think with the trailer I now have, that can haul 300lbs of crap, and the loads I carry on the bike, perhaps the cross checks is too flexy, wobbly and weak. I fear I will bust a stay honestly. The ogre/troll are no where near as flexy?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think with the trailer I now have, that can haul 300lbs of crap, and the loads I carry on the bike, perhaps the cross checks is too flexy, wobbly and weak. I fear I will bust a stay honestly. The ogre/troll are no where near as flexy?
    I can't comment much on the Cross Check because I don't have one, but it's certainly not a cargo bike and I wouldn't recommend hauling heavy loads with it.

My Troll isn't flexy at all. I have racks front and rear and I load it up with a week's shopping and it rides perfectly fine. I hardly notice the extra weight.

Prior to that, I did my shopping with an Extrawheel trailer for a few times but didn't like it at all because it was far too flexy -- the bike and trailer wobbled in opposite directions and it was unsafe to ride -- not nice. To be fair, I may have overloaded the trailer but I can't be sure because I didn't weigh it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Prior to that, I did my shopping with an Extrawheel trailer for a few times but didn't like it at all because it was far too flexy -- the bike and trailer wobbled in opposite directions and it was unsafe to ride -- not nice. To be fair, I may have overloaded the trailer but I can't be sure because I didn't weigh it.
    That's about the first criticism I've heard of the Extrawheel.

I haven't mucked around with trailers, but that one seems like a simple and clever idea, and a bit more convenient than the long tray type.

Interesting.
    Last edited by HelmutHerr; 08-28-2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Spilling

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I didn't really notice that much trouble with my trailer even with 300lbs of wood and junk on it.

mtbr member

You can use a Monkey Bone + OEM2 axle plate on any bike with disc brake tabs for a clean Rohloff setup.

I use this on my Krampus and have used it on other bikes including a 1x1.

My GF's been comutting on a Cross Check with Nexus 8 IGH for a coupe years now. She loves it.

I've an Alfine 11 IGH in an On One Scandal and then in my Krampus before I installed a Rohloff.

You can install an IGH into a Surly with horizontal dropouts no problem at all. They don't have to be "Rohloff" specific.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

You can use a Monkey Bone + OEM2 axle plate on any bike with disc brake tabs for a clean Rohloff setup.

My GF's been comutting on a Cross Check with Nexus 8 IGH for a coupe years now. She loves it.

You can install an IGH into a Surly with horizontal dropouts no problem at all. They don't have to be "Rohloff" specific.
    You've been quoting me as if I had said something wrong. The Cross Check doesn't have disc brake tabs and thus you can't use a monkey bone, you have to use a torque arm (or a Nexus as you did on your girlfriend's bike).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast