Riding a Rig.

Want to go the internal gear hub route on my rig.

Hey guys.

So I've come to the conclusion that an internal gear hub would be the best thing to do for my GF Rig. I like the simplicity and low maitanence of a SS but its just not entirely compatible with some of the riding I do.

So, my question is this. Can I get away with using either the SRAM iMotion or Shimano Alfine OR do I really need to just pony up the money for the Rohloff?

Any kind of feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

Another Retro Grouch
    Plenty of us are running the Alfine, it doesn't have as much range as the Rohloff, cost is 1/7th. If you're not sure, the Alfine is a cheap way to find out of IGH is for you. I have both the Alfine and the i-Motion 9, I think you'll be happier with the Afine. The i-M9 is a little fiddlely

mtbr member
    I am building a new MTB and I was going to swap a Rohloff in from another bike, but after using a Nexus 8 and an Alfine [Surly Pugsley] I'm starting to think I might just try running it with an Alfine. I'm not 100% the gear range will be enough or that I won't thrash the Alfine, but it's inexpensive enough that worst case I won't be out too much $$$.

Bike Dork
    If you're new to IG hubs get the Alfine, so you can test the waters. Some people love IG hubs, some hate them. The Rohloff is a lifetime investment and if you love IG sets-ups it's something you should have, but as an initial IG hub I wouldn't recommend.

As far as SRAM hubs go I believe they're best for on-road use. I haven't used the new ones for off-road use but I don't think they're quite there yet for that use from what I've heard.

Riding a Rig.
    Okay. Sounds good. I will give the Alfine a go.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Rohloff.... There is no substition.