mtbr member

Trouble with Alfine 11, any thoughts?

A little background. I have several IGH bikes. An Alfine 8 speed that has been on several bikes and now resides on my fat bike. It has tons of miles on it and actually could use a tear down and oil soak. I have another Alfine 8 speed that is a lot newer and lives on my commuter. My newest IGH is the Alfine 11 and it it on my 29er full rigid bikepacking rig. It probably only has about 500 miles on it. Recently I had big problems with it dropping the chain. Couldn't figure it out because it was properly tensioned with sliding dropouts. I am running 30t front 18t rear and it wasn't liking the single speed chain I had out on it. I switched it out for a 9 speed chain and have solved that issue.

That brings me to my real problem. The thing has major drag/resistance. If you put the bike in the stand and pedal the bike the wheel turns fine. If you let go of the cranks, they keep turning much like a fixed gear. If you hold the cranks still, the rear wheel will slow very rapid to a stop. If you pedal backward, the wheel turns with it but you can hold it still and freewheel back without it moving. The last issue in conjunction with this is when riding the bike and pedaling forward it is engaged fine in any gear. If the bike is rolling and you stop pedaling, it nearly takes a 1/4 turn of the cranks for the hub to engage.

Sorry this is so long winded but I'm hoping to explain this with enough detail to get some good advice. My hands are in the air over this and it's very discouraging.

Anyone with this issues?

Thanks, Wil

mtbr member
    My A11 and Rohloffs will rotate the cranks if you are pushing the bike along. That's the oil seals creating more friction than the smooth BB and it's not something that's an issue when I am pedaling the bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    My A11 and Rohloffs will rotate the cranks if you are pushing the bike along. That's the oil seals creating more friction than the smooth BB and it's not something that's an issue when I am pedaling the bike.
    Vik,

I'm glad you chimed in. I find you quite authoritative on IGH systems. I'd completely agree with you and do know what you are talking about with drag but this seems quite excessive. Sort of like when you over tighten the cones on a hub and everything is getting pinched in on its self. Also the amount of crank rotation is way more than any time before. This thing seemed fine early fall and then sat (inside) until now. I'd hate to take it apart because it's so new but I gotta do something. Any more thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    Vik,

I'm glad you chimed in. I find you quite authoritative on IGH systems. I'd completely agree with you and do know what you are talking about with drag but this seems quite excessive. Sort of like when you over tighten the cones on a hub and everything is getting pinched in on its self. Also the amount of crank rotation is way more than any time before. This thing seemed fine early fall and then sat (inside) until now. I'd hate to take it apart because it's so new but I gotta do something. Any more thoughts?
    Sadly my IGH expertise is using them not repairing them.

I've had a number of folks think the seal drag was a IGH problem that's why I mentioned, but you know what I am talking about so that's not the issue.

I have adjusted the bearings on my A8's to get the right tightness. I assume the A11 can be adjusted the same way. It's pretty easy and doesn't require you to strip down the hub so it's worth checking and adjusting the bearings as a troubleshooting step.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com