mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Treck 6500 SLR tune up

I took my bike in to a local shop and they adjusted my brakes for me for free. Nice guy… when he was going over the brakes he looked over everything and said I was in need of a tune up. I needed my rear hub rebuilt as well as a new chain, I was at 75% and after that it would start hurting the derailleur. I had a complete tune up 6 months ago, he was a little upset and said they should have done a better job “dif shop” do you think he is trying to get me for a tune up or is there really concern. Also is a tune up something I can just do by going to U tube and watching a few videos? I have lots of tools and am pity handy just not messed with bikes a lot. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ummm, wrong forum? (this is the Internal Gear Hub subforum, i.e. no derailleurs)

Nevertheless, Consider taking a basic maintenance class (REI offers them, as do most local bike co-ops)
    Bike Forums is a good general cycling forum with a good mechanical sub-forum for maintenance & repair.

Youtube is hit and miss, but should have a plethora of information. Doing specific searches ("bicycle hub rebuild", "bicycle tune up", "replacing bicycle chain", etc) will help avoid junk.

Unless I'm missing something, something doesn't sound right about the guy's claim that your derailleurs are at risk with a worn out chain. Not so. Your cogs and cassette may be, but not your derailleur.

Good luck!