mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Sturmey Archer RS-RF3 Does it exist?

The S.A. web page shows it, but does such a rotary shift three speed exist in the wild?
    Last edited by talljako; 02-06-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Clairity

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm holding one in my hand.

jd

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    And where did you find that one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I got mine (retail) from biketoolsetc about six months ago.

Any USA/NA bike shop should be able to get one (wholesale) through United Bicycle Supply.

jd

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks John, my Google searches have turned up nothing, and my lbs seems unaware of it's existance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Mine is in queue for a project build and I'm frustrated that hasn't happened yet. Anyway, for those who are unfamiliar with this hub, on paper it should be the cat's pyjamas among three speeds. The std Sturmey pull chain arrangement has been replaced in this model by a rotary cam, with the shift actuation inside the dropouts. The shift cable is simple to attach/remove with no unthreading/readjusting of anything. The R-SRF3 has a solid axle not weakened by any internal passageways or cut outs, and the axle nut threads are 3/8" like Shimano rather than 13/32" like other S.A. hubs. Otherwise, it continues with Sturmey goodness: the beautiful polished hub shell, NIG, comes in the box with all the nuts, washers, cable, shifter, cog, etc you need to put it in service, &etc.

jd

Note: The cable pull requirements to shift the R-SRF3 are greater than the classic AW family of hubs, and it uses a different (factory) shifter. Mine came with a dual paddle 'push-push' (RapidFire style) straight bar shifter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    John, would you know if the hub housing on those two 3 speed hubs is interchangeable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by talljako View Post
    John, would you know if the hub housing on those two 3 speed hubs is interchangeable?
    I do not know. They look the same outside, and the computer drawing in the Sturmey catalog make them look the same on the inside.

jd

Sturmey Archer RS-RF3 Does it exist?-rotary-chain.jpg

Sturmey Archer RS-RF3 Does it exist?-old-new.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Wow, nice photo. This is helpful to me because my current project with the SRF looks like it won't leave a lot of clearance (fat aluminum frame, external shift cable, big feet). My thought was that I might be able to swap guts on my already built wheel, however this photo shows that a much greater dish would be required.
    I plan to now run the cable up the seat stay and see how that works.

Thanks once again John!