mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Shimano Nexus Inter-3 clicking when pedaling

Hi,
    I've recently got a Kona Africa bike with Shimano Nexus Inter-3 internal geared hub.
    For some reason, it makes freewheel-style clicking sounds when pedaling in gears 2 & 3. The hub is silent when pedaling in the lowest gear (1).

I have tried to adjust the cable tension according to the instruction in shimano site - but it didn't help.

Originally, I thought that the cause of the noise is the coaster brake - but it doesn't explain why the hub is silent on gear #1.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan

mtbr member
    Thats normal for most gear hubs, it's just the a ratchet that is being overtaken by the higher gear - when you switch down (by disengaging the current ratchet), that ratchet takes over.

mtbr member
    I am having the same experience with a SRAM I-Motion 3 disc hub. The pawls are audible in 2nd and 3rd gear. The pitch is uncannily similar to the chirping of a cricket.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by eccentricbottombracket
    I am having the same experience with a SRAM I-Motion 3 disc hub. The pawls are audible in 2nd and 3rd gear. The pitch is uncannily similar to the chirping of a cricket.
    Hi. I can't, for the life of me, find anything else on the i-Motion 3 on these boards. Heck, using the search function didn't turn up your post!

Anyhoo, I'm very much interested in the i-Motion 3, and yours is the first post I've seen mentioning it. So, how does it perform?

I very much like the idea of a 3-speed: a middle gear for most times, an overdrive for downslopes and long straightaways, and an "underdrive"/bailout gear for uphills. I'm currently converting my hardtail MTB into my full-time SS commuter to simplify things and lighten it up. But the idea of a 3-speed as I said above, is just too tempting to pass up. So I'm trying to find out more about these 3-speed IGHs, but am having trouble finding enough info on them.

'would very much appreciate any inputs
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danGlus
    Hi,
    I've recently got a Kona Africa bike with Shimano Nexus Inter-3 internal geared hub.
    For some reason, it makes freewheel-style clicking sounds when pedaling in gears 2 & 3. The hub is silent when pedaling in the lowest gear (1).

I have tried to adjust the cable tension according to the instruction in shimano site - but it didn't help.

Originally, I thought that the cause of the noise is the coaster brake - but it doesn't explain why the hub is silent on gear #1.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan
    This hub is supposed to make ratchet noises when in 2nd and 3rd. you can make it a bit quiter by putting in a bit more Nexus grease.
    just make sure you use the right grease. if you use bearing grease, it will be too sticky and the hub will bung up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

opinions on Shimano Nexus 3 speed

Hi everybody,

I am also interested in a 3-speed hub (shimano nexus model). I was wondering if using one in the lowest gear makes any difference while going up a hill with a small inclination (10-20%). Is it easier with to ride up the while with the Shimano Nexus 3 speed or is just the same as using a bike with only one speed.

Many thanks !