rollin

Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter

It works!

I mated a Shimano Nexus 3-speed hub with a Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter; removed the bar clamp, and mount the shifter onto a downtube mount.

Just lined up 2nd gear and away she went, shifting faster, crisper and better than the Nexus twist shifter. Plus, the bars look cleaner and the shifter on the downtube is old school.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-rampar1.jpg  

rollin
    1978 Raleigh Rampar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-rampar2.jpg  

rollin
    details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-rampar3.jpg  

Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-rampar5.jpg  

Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-rampar4.jpg  

rollin
    Made in Japan!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-rampar6.jpg  

Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-rampar7.jpg  

Industry Vet
    Jul 2012
    Which model shifter did you use? Is it a friction or 3speed indexed shifter?

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepDave View Post
    Which model shifter did you use? Is it a friction or 3speed indexed shifter?

I purchased the Sturmey Archer SL-S30, 3-speed indexed thumb shifter:

Universal Cycles -- Sturmey-Archer 3spd SLS30 R3T Thumb Shifter

Sturmey Archer did a great job designing this shifter. You can remove the bar clamp and mount the shifter directly onto a downtube shifter, with no modification, as I did.

The indexing seems to work just fine with the hub. Just adjust and set it up in 2nd gear. The shifter can over shoot 1st and 3rd gears and the hub still runs. The shifter actually seems to have a 4th click, beyond 3rd, but I don't use it. Index clicks are nice and chunky. The shifter is all metal and looks great!

rollin
    BTW, I'm running a gear ratio of 42t x 20t. Seems to be about right for road riding. 3rd gear is useable on flat grade once you get the speed up, or slight decline. 2nd gear is more cruising on flat or slight incline. 1st works for steep hills.

Here's another pic, for pic's sake:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-rampar8.jpg  

rollin
    This Nexus hub is at least a year old, so I went in for a rebuild. Impressive, how you can open the hub up with bench tools. Hub shows minimal sign of wear. Solid little hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-nexushubrebuild1.jpg  

Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-nexushubrebuild2.jpg  

Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-nexushubrebuild3.jpg  

Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-nexushubrebuild4.jpg  

Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-nexushubrebuild5.jpg  

Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-nexushubrebuild6.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi! Could you spesify how exactly did you mount shilter on the downtube? Is there a prefab mount option when you remove the bar clamp, or some additional hardware is needed? Thanx a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's attached to a braze-on mount on the frame. Those are available as a clamp-around-the-tube option, if you dig deep enough. Sturmey-Archer also makes a bar-mounted version of that shifter. The OP posted a link to that very shifter, as a matter of fact.

rollin
    ^^^correct!

I ordered the exact shifter, linked above. If you remove the center bolt on the shifter, the bar clamp comes off. The frame has braze-on shifter mounts, on the downtube...common with older bikes. The shifter is designed to optionally bolt on to the downtube mount or the provided bar mount. Absolutely no modification was needed, it's a pretty slick design.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm looking to run an old 4speed SA hub with some new 3spped SA thumbies.. Do you reckon that '4th click' might do the trick...?
    Thanks,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    I purchased the Sturmey Archer SL-S30, 3-speed indexed thumb shifter:

Universal Cycles -- Sturmey-Archer 3spd SLS30 R3T Thumb Shifter

Sturmey Archer did a great job designing this shifter. You can remove the bar clamp and mount the shifter directly onto a downtube shifter, with no modification, as I did.

The indexing seems to work just fine with the hub. Just adjust and set it up in 2nd gear. The shifter can over shoot 1st and 3rd gears and the hub still runs. The shifter actually seems to have a 4th click, beyond 3rd, but I don't use it. Index clicks are nice and chunky. The shifter is all metal and looks great!

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgumby View Post
    I'm looking to run an old 4speed SA hub with some new 3spped SA thumbies.. Do you reckon that '4th click' might do the trick...?
    Thanks,
    Matt
    It might work. There's no way for me to know for sure, but it seemed like it was a substantial 4th click. Another issue is the pull distance of the shifter compared to the distance required for the hub. With 3 speeds, it's more forgiving, because you really need 2nd to be precise. 1st and 3rd, you can over shift and the hub will still work.

A 4-speed might be different. It's worth a shot, if you really want that shifter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I can't see attached photos! :-(

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi,

It appears the Nexus 3 speed inter SG 3d-55 hub you used on your bike has an OLD of 135mm. What length spindle did you use on your BB to compensate for the wider rear hub over traditional road bike hubs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I put a Nexus 3 speed on my 1940 CWC framed (solid front and rear) 39 pound clunker. I have beaten the heck out of it for 50 miles hard trail riding and so far it has worked very smoothly and reliably. It shifts smoother and easier than my 24 speed Trek Excalibur. The posts I have read don't recommend this for trail use as it is more for commuter applications. I did have trouble with it on my first ride as it would self shift on big bumps, but after some adjustment fiddling it worked great. One mountain bike reviewer didn't like the gear ratios as he felt they were too wide. I run 28 x 23 and it works for most intermediate terrain. They also felt the brake was wimpy. The Nexus really has stoping power, way better than my Komet Super, Bendix Red Bands or the Chinese coasters on my path racer bike. I wonder if the Nexus will hold up to the trails? A path racer is something sold to wheelmen from 1910 up for a few decades to look like the current all out racing bike but was for riding on the street or paths. Here is one I built. It is light enough to easily ride 20 miles on our paved bike paths.
    Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-img_0347.jpg
    Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-img_0349.jpg
    Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-img_0345.jpg
    Shimano Nexus 3-speed + Sturmey Archer Thumb Shifter-img_0343.jpg