PRETENDURO

Shimano 8-speed Alfine servicing needed in San Jose area

I also will cross-post this in the NorCal forums as well.

I need to find a shop who can do the teardown/soak/re-lube of a Shimano Alfine 8-Speed internally-geared hub. The shops I’ve asked so far get scared at the idea, and then are leery of my recommendation of using Mobil-1 ATF instead of Shimano’s special 200/liter formula apparently made from ground up endangered species. Anyone know of a shop that CAN ACTUALLY do this? Thanks!
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 03-08-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Its pretty easy to do it yourself, it comes apart like any Shimano hub with adjustable cones, and only the non-drive side balls are loose.

PRETENDURO
    Right… I understand the simplicity of that part, but from the stuff I am finding online (via Google searches) on how to properly overhaul/service one of these puppies, I am not seeing anything pertaining to regreasing the parts that need regreasing as per Shimano’s servicing guidelines. Which grease do I use (which isn’t going to be dissolved into the Mobil-1 synthetic ATF)??? Before I even get to that stage, something I cannot seem to figure out from Shimano’s servicing guidelines, is how to clean off the old grease/oil first (assuming this would be a logical step in the event that any water/dirt has entered into the hub over time). Any suggestions?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Frt Range, CO
    I didn't bother with the grease, Shimano's guide uses grease for the brakes shoes on coaster hubs. I didn't have to clean either of my hubs, they were clean as a new born baby (smeared in white grease, just in case you're witnessed a live birth, ha, ha).

If I had needed to clean the guts, my plan was to soak them in paint thinner and use a few bath steps to really get them clean. then let them dry over night, maybe even in front of a fan to be sure there's no solvent left ('cause I'm nuts). After all of that it's a quick 20 min dunk in Mobil 1 ATF, short drain time and re-install.

The hardest part is adjusting the hub correctly. .I'm an old school Sturmey-Archer repairer from a 1970's era LBS, I use a bench vise to secure the drive side axle flats and adjust the non-drive side cone until the bearing play just goes away as detected at the rim. You will need cone wrenches, Performance Bikes has house brand and Park flavors.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not local to you, and chances are you've come across them, but this shop advertises internal gear hub servicing:

http://www.rideyourbike.com/internalgears.shtml

PRETENDURO
    Thanks for all the tips. I actually found a local shop who claims they can do it. I instructed the head mechanic that Mobil-1 ATF will fit the bill, and he agreed to take that “warranty voiding” chance if I was OK with it. We’ll see what happens. Meanwhile, I am single-sped.