Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: S3X Update

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thadthetroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    864

    S3X Update

    Anybody know if this is ever going to actually make it to the market????

  2. #2
    bike the planet!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    47
    I know BikesDirect.com has a bike coming out that uses this hub and their sister company Bikeisland.com will be selling a 700C wheelset built with this hub.

    I have heard rumors that these could be on the market as early as late October.

    I have no idea when the general public will see them as I'm sure preference is given to people like BikesDirect who are ordering these 1,000+ at a time rather than local distributors who are only ordering 10 to 100 at a time.

  3. #3
    Bike Dork
    Reputation: themanmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    I'm sure they saw they have a bike coming out with this hub, but I'll only believe it when I see it. I've seen it dozens of times with stuff speced but never delivered by lots of various companies.

    Did anyone see anything at Interbike beyond what was already shown?

  4. #4
    bike the planet!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    I'm sure they saw they have a bike coming out with this hub, but I'll only believe it when I see it. I've seen it dozens of times with stuff speced but never delivered by lots of various companies.

    Did anyone see anything at Interbike beyond what was already shown?
    I'm sure you have already seen the color options and the shifter options?

  5. #5
    Bike Dork
    Reputation: themanmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    Yep, those have been floating for a year at least. I called these hubs vaporware 6 months ago and I stand by that.

    New would be an actual person riding an actual bike with an actual non-prototype hub on it.

  6. #6
    bike the planet!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    47
    As badly as I want this hub, I would rather them get it right (engineer it as well as they can) before release than buy one that was rushed to market and doesn't work well or have a very short lifespan.

    I just keep telling myself the wait will be worth it.

  7. #7
    Lost sheep
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    On One did a test ride of the S3X in the last few days and apparently they are on their way...

  8. #8
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Reputation: bikesdirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    Yep, those have been floating for a year at least. I called these hubs vaporware 6 months ago and I stand by that.

    New would be an actual person riding an actual bike with an actual non-prototype hub on it.

    Cliff is an actual guy that works for me
    and We have all riden this proto type and like it a lot



    This bike is not exactly like our production bikes which are due to be built now [as soon as hubs come in - everything else is set to go]



    Once these sail, we will put up on prebook
    and then start to research if buyers would like the second version to be based on Fantom Cross Uno, Kilo WT, or SST-AL -- I think the demand on hub maybe enough to do 3 models with this hub

  9. #9
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Reputation: bikesdirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by NitrousOxide
    On One did a test ride of the S3X in the last few days and apparently they are on their way...

    Our latest news is that the Hubs are done and shipping soon; as soon as the factory gets them, the wheels and bikes will be built

    It has been a long wait; but I think it is a fun product

  10. #10
    Bike Dork
    Reputation: themanmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    I see a guy riding a bike with a prototype hub around in a parking lot. I asked for a NON-prototype hub production hub and not a spin around the parking lot. I've got frames and riders ready for them if they ever land. I hope you're right, but I've ridden the ASC and conversion hubs and worked just fin in a parking lot too.

    I really would like to see this thing happen. Heck the minute UBT or QBP have them in stock I'll get one and give it the thrashing it needs. I'm glad to see you guys are jumping in with both feet. I hope it turns out I'm wrong, but until I ride an S3X myself I'm going to remain skeptical.

  11. #11
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Reputation: bikesdirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    I see a guy riding a bike with a prototype hub around in a parking lot. I asked for a NON-prototype hub production hub and not a spin around the parking lot. I've got frames and riders ready for them if they ever land. I hope you're right, but I've ridden the ASC and conversion hubs and worked just fin in a parking lot too.

    I really would like to see this thing happen. Heck the minute UBT or QBP have them in stock I'll get one and give it the thrashing it needs. I'm glad to see you guys are jumping in with both feet. I hope it turns out I'm wrong, but until I ride an S3X myself I'm going to remain skeptical.

    We have ridden a lot more than around the parking lot

    But I will be a little skeptical too until we have had a thousand on the street & track for months. This is the true test; one or two or a dozen for a few weeks does not get it.

    But my guess is it will be just fine; or else I would not spec it

    We are currently riding a 5-speed SA hub on a new Kilo WT5 and we like that a lot too - and soon will test a new 2 speed fixed hub. Plus we are selling lots of commuter bikes with 3 and 8 speed Nexus.

    I like internal hubs; so I hope the S3X is a great success

  12. #12
    Bike Dork
    Reputation: themanmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    I was just reading the S-A blog and it seems that the service shop that they recommend is Aaron's Bicycle Repair in Seattle. I know Aaron from way back and his cohort Val was my IGH mentor 20 years ago. So I'll give them a call this next week and see what they have to say about the hubs. If those guys give it the thumbs up we may be on to something.

    By the way I assume you guys are going OE direct for your supply? How is the shifting on the S3X? One of the problems in the past has been backlash tearing up the internals.

  13. #13
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Reputation: bikesdirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    I was just reading the S-A blog and it seems that the service shop that they recommend is Aaron's Bicycle Repair in Seattle. I know Aaron from way back and his cohort Val was my IGH mentor 20 years ago. So I'll give them a call this next week and see what they have to say about the hubs. If those guys give it the thumbs up we may be on to something.

    By the way I assume you guys are going OE direct for your supply? How is the shifting on the S3X? One of the problems in the past has been backlash tearing up the internals.

    We are using the bar-con designed for the hub; seems to work great.

  14. #14
    Bike Dork
    Reputation: themanmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    Through the grapevine it sounds like some folks with lots of miles on them have two main issues. Excessive backlash and the possibility of the hub slipping into neutral during shifting. Those were the same two issues of the hubs in the past that lead to failures. On the upside no one has reported any failures yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •