Bike Dork

S3X Delivery Dates

OK so I spent a bunch of time on the phone with UBP (United Bicycle Parts) and they said the shipment went out last Friday or Monday. The hubs should be through customs and ready to ship to retailers the first week of December. They will be available in polished, black, red, and gold and can be ordered with color matching front hubs. They will also be available in two OLD 120 and 130. If you want them you might want to get a deposit in to your LBS and have them hold one of you as there are already quite a few that are pre-sold.

Bike Dork
    Just a follow-up I called UBP again today and they said they're "on the boat" just as they were 2 months ago. I've called vaporware on these hubs before and I'm starting to lean that direction again. "On the boat" in bike industry parlance means "we've been promised something but have no idea where it is or when it's coming." I've got customers with cash in hand wanting me to build these wheels. It's starting to look a lot like DNF to me.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    ...I've called vaporware on these hubs before and I'm starting to lean that direction again....It's starting to look a lot like DNF to me.
    The SX3 isn't vaporware, you can order a wheelset today:
    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1708
    Looks like the big guys picked up the early production, maybe UBC made a small order and they're not a good SA customer so they're locked out until SA is flush....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, it's funny. Two years of moaning about S-A taking so long to get the toys to the folks who claimed they were dyin' - dyin'! - to get their hand on an S3X - then they become available in November '09 and NOBODY buys one.

So far I've seen one - 1- uno - web post claiming ownership. Six weeks after they became available, Bikesdirect hasn't sold out of a single size/color of S3X equiped bikes. Bikeisland still has S3X wheelsets listed - all it takes is a credit card...and huevos. (I note whinning on the 'net takes neither.)

Shimano and SRAM are probably laughing until their derrieres become detatched about S-A investing time and money bringing this hub to production.

JD

PS - Manmonkey: get deposits up front from all your customers who say they want an S3X.

Another Retro Grouch
    So you're saying that UBC is lying, they're not on "the boat", it's just that no one is ordering them due to complete lack of demand? I'd have to agree there seems to be little real interest (if "real interest" = people buying the product). I rode a fixed gear on the street for years in my youth, I'd never consider it these days. I've seen the single post, sounds as if there's plenty of backlash, who wants that on a fixed gear?

Bike Dork
    We had 5 pre-orders and UBP (Not UBC) said they had at least half their very large order pre-sold. They are listed as the major distributor in the country.

I'm not some newbie in this guys, 25 years in and I've seen this happen over and over again. I know a bunch of the beta-testers for these hubs and the official S-A service shop are old old friends and ex-co-workers and they don't know where they are or when they're coming. Bikesdirect said in these forum that he should have his batch of hubs in and bikes for sale by November and I have yet to see them listed at the site.

Anyone remember the Suntour BEAST?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    We had 5 pre-orders and UBP (Not UBC) said they had at least half their very large order pre-sold. They are listed as the major distributor in the country.

I'm not some newbie in this guys, 25 years in and I've seen this happen over and over again. I know a bunch of the beta-testers for these hubs and the official S-A service shop are old old friends and ex-co-workers and they don't know where they are or when they're coming. Bikesdirect said in these forum that he should have his batch of hubs in and bikes for sale by November and I have yet to see them listed at the site.

Anyone remember the Suntour BEAST?

We have been selling complete bikes with S3X for over a month

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...kilott_s3x.htm

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    We have been selling complete bikes with S3X for over a month
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...kilott_s3x.htm
    Sorry I missed those when I looked this morning. If you've got them in stock ready to ship I'll send some folks to buy from you. You do have them in stock ready to ship right?

I know you guys are going direct, but doesn't it seem odd that you guys and that wheel guy are getting stock before the US distributors and official repair center?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Sorry I missed those when I looked this morning. If you've got them in stock ready to ship I'll send some folks to buy from you. You do have them in stock ready to ship right?

I know you guys are going direct, but doesn't it seem odd that you guys and that wheel guy are getting stock before the US distributors and official repair center?

this is not odd
    we get oem components often before US distributors do
    and it has been this way for over 25 years that I know of

we and other bike importers will get new 2011 components very soon
    and bikes will be out with them in July and August
    and the US parts distributors will get them in October to December

We have been shipping S3X bikes and wheelsets for about 2 months
    I think you can find posts by some cyclists that have them on different spots around the web - I know there are posts on BF.net

I like this hub and shifter; they are fun to use
    and add some versitility to fixed gear bikes

Bike Dork
    Cool Mike I've sent a link to your bike to 3 folks now. I'd rather have happy customer with product from someone else than an unhappy customer calling me every week.

Yea, I know that OE gets their stuff early, but usually it'll also trickle into the distributors soon there after. The folks I've worked for were domestic manufacturers and since you're getting your stuff direct from Asia whole you drop out that separate part import step making up a bunch time.

Pistol
    Jun 2007

S3X waitin' at home...

So,I was one who just couldn't wait but I had to anyhow.By the time they were out I was unconcerned and unaware(a usual occurance,in my way of livin').I bought one at BikeIsland and it's waitin' in Tucson,but I'm bikepackin' in the Sierra Madre and will be til I get bored.My trusty ol' Dingle sees all the work it can stand and the local boys think I'm stupid (natch) and don't even want to borrow my bike much less steal'er...So,I'll let someone else do a report on how well they hold up and I'll wait til I git back to Az before I break mine...
    ĦAla 'ingada!
    Pistil