Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    321

    Rohloff USA & Rohloff Germany falling out?

    Anyone hear anything about this? And what affect it might have on USA owners of the hubs?

  2. #2
    Rohloff
    Reputation: bsdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes
    Anyone hear anything about this? And what affect it might have on USA owners of the hubs?
    I've heard there's a problem but I haven't heard any details. Since Speedhubs are so reliable it's had almost no effect on 99+% of owners. Those needing parts, repair or a new hub are having a little problem. I will be looking to buy a new Speedhub before too long. If things aren't sorted out here in the US, I will just deal with someone in Europe.
    Last edited by bsdc; 08-31-2009 at 09:52 AM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    321
    That's good to know as I'm trying to buy a used one to add to my new collection of IGHs.

    I've got the Alfine S501 & the red band Nexus R36 drum brake version so the Rohloff would complete my collection .

    Now, all I have to do is decide which hubs go where. I've got a FS 26er frameset & will have a complete HT 29er new/used which I should be receiving on 9/2/09 & haven't quite decided which of the Shimano hubs will go where. The Rohloff will definitely be on my 29er though. Once I've decided, I'll do my wheel builds & then will be able to provide feedback on the three.

  4. #4
    Rohloff
    Reputation: bsdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes
    That's good to know as I'm trying to buy a used one to add to my new collection of IGHs.

    I've got the Alfine S501 & the red band Nexus R36 drum brake version so the Rohloff would complete my collection .

    Now, all I have to do is decide which hubs go where. I've got a FS 26er frameset & will have a complete HT 29er new/used which I should be receiving on 9/2/09 & haven't quite decided which of the Shimano hubs will go where. The Rohloff will definitely be on my 29er though. Once I've decided, I'll do my wheel builds & then will be able to provide feedback on the three.
    I ride rougher, hillier terrain on my FS bike and it tends to be better for me to sit and spin so I like the extra gearing of the Speedhub on my FS bike.

    I ride relatively smooth, flat trails on my HT bike. On occasional steeps, I can stand and crank, so the relatively narrow gear range of the Alfine works well.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    321
    I'll probably be riding my new/used HT 29er almost exclusively. I'm hoping that a nice large volume rear tire coupled with relatively low pressure (for me) will serve as enough rear 'suspension'. I used to race a HT 26er at the Expert level on quite tough & technically challenging terrain for two hours or more with tires at 45 psi at a racing weight of ~160 lbs so 30-35 psi on a 29er should feel like heaven .

    Besides the Alfine on the FS 26er is destined for a CDS (Carbon Drive System) belt. In case you're wondering, it's an older Dean ACE Ti design with a fixed chainstay length.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    84
    I've been told that an agreement has been made with a new distributor. I will be handling service work, both warranty and non, so the same level of support will be there. Rohloff wants to make sure that their customers are taken care of. I have most small parts in stock as well as complete hubs.

    Neil
    Cycle Monkey
    Rohloff Speedhubs - Schlumpf Gearing Systems - Custom Wheels
    www.cyclemonkey.com
    cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    321
    Thanks for the response.

    It's great to read that's been ironed out! Now, I can follow-thru on my new/used Rohloff purchase.

    Thanks for the update.

  8. #8
    Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Reputation: Visicypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,645
    Whew!!! I am glad they kept you Neil!!!!

    -Al
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

  9. #9
    MONKEYMAN
    Reputation: finger51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
    I've been told that an agreement has been made with a new distributor. I will be handling service work, both warranty and non, so the same level of support will be there. Rohloff wants to make sure that their customers are taken care of. I have most small parts in stock as well as complete hubs.

    Neil
    Dear Neil~ When sending a $100 disc rotor via regular mail, PUT IT IN A BOX instead of a soft mailer bag.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2xPneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    Dear Neil~ When sending a $100 disc rotor via regular mail, PUT IT IN A BOX instead of a soft mailer bag.
    A $100 disc rotor?!

    Several companies make disc rotors for Rohloffs, no way do they cost $100.

    If they tape it btwn a couple of pieces of cardboard it's good in a soft bag, I get them from Hope all the time that way w/no probs.

  11. #11
    MONKEYMAN
    Reputation: finger51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xPneu
    A $100 disc rotor?!

    Several companies make disc rotors for Rohloffs, no way do they cost $100.
    email from rohloff for the order:

    Hi finger51,

    We do have Rohloff specific 180mm rotors in stock. They retail for $97.11 + sales tax and shipping.

    Thomas
    Rohloff USA


    yeah, a 180mm. tough to find, had to go to the source.

    my deal with the mailer bag is this: A box takes what, 1 minute longer to pack? A dollar more to ship? Rohloff as a company has an incredible reputation for attention to detail, precision, quality. That's why I bought one. Yes, I wanted a specific size that was hard to find, or if they were findable I couldn't find them in qbike, google, etc. even my LBS said "dude, just email them direct"
    Anyway, it was only slightly tweaked and I have a truing tool so it wasn't that big a deal- more disappointing than anything (ok, maybe a little annoying)
    Last edited by finger51; 09-27-2009 at 08:07 PM.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •