Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Hi Sjoerd,

Interestingly enough, if I remember correctly, some parts of the Rohloff do "freewheel" while pedaling in certain gears. More accurately, some clutches and gears are rotating against each other in certain gears. In other gears, a clutch can be held stationary while an opposing clutch is dragged across it during pedaling.

I do not think there is anything you can do to prevent this. One of the most unique components of the Speedhub is the "Silent Ring", a small rubber ring that lives on the axle, somewhere in between planet carrier 1/2 and planet carrier 3. This rubber ring deadens the noise created by the reverse-driven clutches. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall during the engineering of this solution. Anyway, you should note the existence and location of this ring; a broken or misplaced ring would certainly amplify the noises you are experiencing.

I would also suggest oil viscosity or quantity, as thinner oils and lack of oil both make a noisier hub. But since you have recently stripped and rebuilt, I assume you are topped off with the correct all-season Rohloff oil.

Lastly, I agree with another posters theory of each Rohloff being unique, and somewhat agricultural as opposed to a Rolex watch. Every hub has a bit of personality. Despite wanting a more reserved fellow, you may have been paired up with the chatterbox of the group =)

In my non-professional opinion, sounds like business as usual inside your hub.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi Craig,

indeed after some more Google-ing and listening to the Rohloff of my colleague I found out that also his Rohloff makes (very soft) freewheel rattles in the gears I mentioned. I was concerned about mine because unloaded and without hub it sounded very loud. (completely rinsed with Nebol) So there was no oil to be seen anywhere which made a somewhat noisy Rohloff even more loud...

Do you think If I replace the silent O-ring for one a tiny bit thicker this will make the Rohloff somewhat less loud?
    It is hard to see on your video but looks like your O-ring is a little bit thicker than mine.
    I will try and see what it brings. Otherwise I'll move back to the original O-ring and accept my Rohloff is just more of a chainsaw drive trough the woods rather than a Silent geared hub...

regards,

Sjoerd.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Even the "simple" 3 gear hubs have that freewheeling noise. Look at 10:45 of the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6v5K-2zWMI . The speedhub has more than one star-ratchet type, clutches.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi Selin,
    That I know, I also disassembled the the Speedhub. I've seen al the gears, pawls and clutches. After some more reading and thinking I understand what is going on. So yes, the ratchet sound needs to be there. totally cleaned whiteout hub and oil, this sound is pretty loud. Probably it will be less loud when in oil and inside hub.

Cheers,
    Sjoerd.

mtbr member
    Sjoerd, you are correct that every hub will make these same noises, although some will be louder than others for a host of unique reasons, mostly manufacturing tolerances. And right again, a dry hub is noticeably louder than one containing oil.

Personally, I would resist the temptation to change ANYTHING inside the hub. But if you do change your Silent Ring, please share your results!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

fixed

I partly dismantled hub again(not planet mechanism,timing and etc.) and rode over 300mi.
    Hub is ok.
    Probably dirt or some of the shims from right side was not sitting properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2